New tire advise sought, experienced RVtrailer pullers please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
Cholo I copied the details right from the passenger side tire sidewall. It said also not to mount on 14.5 inch rims. Don't know why someone would risk that. I wonder if in 9 years it's been discontinued. Wouldn't that be my luck...

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
Don, I'm on Goodyear's website and I don't see the tire you posted as being rated for a trailer :? This is what I've found with several searches. Am I missing something?

Hi,

Ken, both of those sites you mention talk about trailer service in the ad copy. I'm not up to date on trailer tires, but have started doing a little homework with the purchase of a utility trailer and/or possibly a small camping trailer becoming a "possible" one of these days. I think the secret's in the "ST" (special trailer?) part of the SIZE designation (not to be confused with the name on the sidewall.) The websites I've visited make it quite clear tires with that designation are for trailers only! Notice Tire Rack has both trailer and passenger tires in the same size, and one of the passenger models has "ST" but it's in the name, not the size. I dunno about the legal aspect of putting car tires on trailers or vice versa, though I wouldn't be surprised if it is or will soon be an issue to contend with.

As for the quality, I wouldn't skimp on "the cheapest one" they have. As mentioned, China figures heavily into the smaller trailer tire market, and while they might be getting better, their QC still doesn't seem quite up there with the big names that have been building tires for decades. The Koreans seem to be coming along pretty well, but they also figured out early on how to follow the Japanese model on QC. "Extended family" and I have several sets of Kumhos and at least one set of Hancooks under our belts with good results.

Rick C

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Lots of farm pickups running an "Handicocks" in north MO. Mostly a compromise between cost, wear, and traction with traction playing a major role. Kumho used to be popular until they began having issues with throwing tread. Nothing cools a tire brand's rep like throwing a tread @ 10K miles causing $5k in damage to the vehicle.
I bought a new set of tires for my work pickup last fall. First new set of tires I've purchased this century. I run reman tires on the farm pickups and the old Jeep.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
Kumho used to be popular until they began having issues with throwing tread. Nothing cools a tire brand's rep like throwing a tread @ 10K miles causing $5k in damage to the vehicle.

Hi,

Is this a recent thing, or a few years back? I don't know anyone here who's had problems with Kumho, going back at least five years. That doesn't mean much, though, cuz of the small size of my sample. But I am curious.

Rick C

kmoore

Buckeye
Rick, your right ST is a type of tire not brand/size. "Special Trailer." I did not go into that much detail, but said it is a tire style. Pete44ru listed a great site to learn more than has been mentioned about ST tires for trailers. "RV tires 101."
Although I have been a RVer and owned many, I really did not fully learn the whys and why nots of the ST tires until a factory guy came to class in the Marine enforcement training put on by the Oregon Marine Board for new marine cops. He explained for hours what ST tires are and why they are needed on trailers along with all other
trailer maintenance stuff. That was in 2002. ST tires were made to expect around 5 years of service life and around 10,000 miles of travel. Not much life compared to the tires on your car or pickup.

Cholo

Staff member
Rick, the 2 links I listed on page one are ST tires. Scroll down on both links to Specs. The Tire Rack Marathons are ST's but aren't the correct size for Tallbald, but the Marathons are ST rated. The Goodyear link for the Endurance is the correct size and the official designation is: Tire Size ST205/75R14.

Sometimes I think I'm losing it, but not this time. At least I don't think so :mrgreen:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
Sometimes I think I'm losing it, but not this time. At least I don't think so :mrgreen:

Hi,

You're doing fine, Ken!

In today's world, if we take a two week vacation, wecome back to everything being completely "new and different" (though not necessarily "improved.") I sometimes wonder how people working in certain industries can possibly keep up, so where's that leave us regular peons? ;)

Rick C

Latest posts