New take on an old favorite

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Member Bob Wright contacted me a while back about a holster idea he had. He had one of my open toe Threepersons that he had me round off the toe a bit but wanted something a little different this time, for his large frame .45 Blackhawk. Someone had posted a pic of an interesting looking old holster for a Colt SAA with a New Vaquero stuffed in it, I believe on RugerForum and he asked if I could do something similar, with a few twists. Firstly, he wanted a more curvy mainseam, rather than the plain straight mainseam on my standard open toe version. He also wanted it to ride like the one he already had, which has a foldover belt loop. The one in the pic had a sewn on belt loop that would ride higher. He also wanted an open toe as the straight sewn toe on the old holster was a bit odd looking. For decoration, he decided to try some basket stamping that went all the way around the fold. I went to the drawing board and this is what I came up with. It has the standard Threepersons throat, a more serpentine mainseam but an open toe.

The inspiration:
DSC_0001a%20800W_zpszsb8cjta.jpg

Bob's pic is better than mine:
100_8830_zpshzmuxgcm.jpg

With one of my Bisleys:
IMG_7669b.jpg

Mainseam detail, dyed and burnished, no paint:
IMG_7688b.jpg

I showed this holster to another member whose number was up and he liked it enough to want one for hisself. This one is black with a standard border stamp and a retention strap, for his incoming Bowen .500 Bisley. It's as black as they come, dyed inside and out, fully finished on the inside, with a black snap and black stitching.

IMG_7699b.jpg

IMG_7703b.jpg

IMG_7714b.jpg

Joe S.

Hunter
mikewriter said:
Great work, Craig! I haven't yet started really craving nice holsters, but you are helping me get there!

Mike
It gets expensive quick...

That looks awesome Craig!

Please PM me price of one in dark brown with border stamp. You have a 3.5" Uberti Lightning dont you?

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
What's the point in having a truly nice single action, or any other nice handgun for that matter, and not having a just as nice holster to carry it in? I've made a few over the years, but find that my favorite is a Lawrence 120 with wool skin lining. Only one I ever saw. May have to get the tools out and make another or 2! :D