New Super Redhawk 480 Ruger Owner - Any Pointers to Share

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just picked up a 9.5" Super Redhawk in 480Ruger. Was looking for a new hunting pistol and the 480 intrigued me. Did a little research on the caliber, only to have an owner dispel the facts I had gathered. My new brass and dies arrived before the revolver. I'm now waiting on the bullets. I like lead slugs, so I have some of Penn Bullet's 420gr Thunderheads coming. I also swapped the sight set from factory to a gold bead front and V-notch rear. Had these sights from a Super Blackhawk Hunter I sold several years ago.

Love the way this revolver balances. My recent double-actions have been "full underlug" models from S&W and Colt. This 480 has a more neutral balance. Looking forward to my first range trip!

Rabon

Single-Sixer
I had one of the 7.5" guns I had picked up as a project gun, turned out this gun had a few issues I really didn't want to deal with (this wasn't a Ruger issue, it was an owner abuse issue). I have another one lined up NIB. I like the gun and I really like the cartridge, a lot of people don't seem to like the 480 but it really is an exceptionally strong cartridge and will do about anything rather well. I ran a 400 grain cast to just under 1325 with very manageable recoil, 2 things left impressions the 1st being this is the only revolver I have ever shot that the trigger hit the side of my trigger finger under recoil (which was no big deal) and brass was very prone to get trapped under the ejector plate when ejecting spent caseings (also no big deal as I have never seen a fight with a Bear that wasn't decided befor the gun was empty.). I like it, I think its a good gun.

contender

Ruger Guru
I own a SRH in 480,, & I have not had ANY issues with mine. While I don't have a "need" to use it hunting etc,, I actually enjoy dragging it out to the range & lobbing some 400 grn lead slugs at targets 100 yds. Of course,, I'm in the crowd who doesn't need "loudkickenboomer" loads. I have a fondness for accuracy in MY guns in MY hands. Many of my most accurate loads are mid-range loads. So,, sticky brass, etc have never been an issue with mine.

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
Install Wolff springs and slick up the action and you will be VERY pleased with the improvement.

I used a 10 lb trigger return spring and 12 lb hammer spring. After tuning and Brownell's trigger lube, the single action pull is 2.5 pounds and both SA and DA is soooooo smooooth. It is a real joy to shoot.

Don't ever look at Ruger trigger parts with a 10x hand lens or your opinion of the quality will drop ;(

John Davies
Spokane WA