New Stainless 357/9mm Convertible. Too tight headspace?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Yesterday I picked up the stainless flat top BH convertible in 357/9mm. It looks great and is my first stainless Ruger BH since I sold my first Super BH from the 80's (which I sold after college when I was broke, sadly).

ruger_nmft_357_9mm_small.jpg

When I had it out for its photo shoot, I also tried loading some 9mm in the cylinder (it had that one installed from the factory). They drop in fine, but the cylinder won't rotate to load the next. The case rim is hitting the recoil shield. I pushed the rounds in firmly and there is no extra "give" to seat deeper. The only ammo I have tried so far is Federal Premium HST (pictured). I will try some others but don't have any in my hand at this second.

Looking forward to shooting it. Hope it doesn't have to go back to Ruger for repair.

Rob

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I have the same gun and have not had that issue and I've had lots of 9mm through it, hopefully it's just your ammo. Great gun, mine's a laser.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
I tried some different ammo and it seems that there are two chambers that are an issue. With the other ammo (Geco ball), those two chambers dragged the case past the loading gate but one by, they were fine and I could turn the full cylinder without any real extra effort. I went back to the Federal HST and it was the same two chambers, but with the HST I could not get it to rotate past with a level of effort I was comfortable with.

On the one hand, I would say it is that the loading gate is a little proud of the recoil shield when open. BUT...on the other, 4 out of 6 chambers don't seem to have the problem.

I also looked the revolver over carefully and found a few issues that I'm not happy about in a $700 gun. Two of the three bottom trigger guard screws are a little buggered (hard to see in the photo). And the left grip panel (on the right when showing the bottom) is not fitting against the frame. Seems it just missed a bit a proper final fitting or something. Not too pleased. I'll take the grip off and see it is a trivial placement issue. I think I'll call Ruger tomorrow to see what they say about these things.

ruger_nmft_357_9mm_bott1_small.jpg

ruger_nmft_357_9mm_bott2_small.jpg

Rob

Enigma

Hunter
Ruger does NOT "fit" grips; they install them. Period. If they fit reasonably well, that's great. If they don't, that's also quite acceptable. They figure most folks are either going to replace the factory grips, or will live with it. I would, however, call them and politely ask for a shipping label to return it to have the cylinder and loading gate corrected. Also mention the buggered screws and the grips.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Unless you're willing to do some work on it, I don't see any alternative to sending it back. You certainly don't want to spend money to have someone else fix things Ruger will do for free, at least the serious issue of improper clearance, I don't like stainless guns except to fix them; you don't have to worry about rebluing things you work on!

For the two bad chambers: have you checked the chamber shoulders with magnification? The most likely culprit and also easiest to fix is machining roll over burrs keeping the cases from fitting up tight to the shoulders. Do some checking for burrs and de-burr if needed.

If the case rims only hang up on the loading gate, a little bending of the gate spring tip will hold the gate in tighter and flush with the recoil shield in my experience.

And frankly, but with no malice intended against your gun, I've never seen such lack of symmetry on the bottom front curve of the frame as in this photo:

ruger_nmft_357_9mm_bott2_small.jpg

But again easy to fix on a stainless gun, as well as the buggered screw slots.

Shouldn't have to mess with this on a new gun, but that's reality to get such a well designed and robust product for $700. I never owned a Ruger, new or used that didn't take a little "cleanup" to meet my standards. Actually I like making improvements and have some standard ones I do to all my Ruger SAs:

Bordered Hammer Spur:

standard.jpg

Colt 22 Peacemaker ejector button on small frame models:

standard.jpg

Full size Colt SAA button on mid and large frame models:

orig.jpg

Web behind triggers removed:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
I checked the 9mm cylinder again and while I didn't see anything foul or afoot in the "short" chambers, I cleaned it again using a bronze brush. After that, the Federal ammo went in just a hair more and I was able to rotate past the loading gate with a little drag. After that I was able to cycle in a whole box of ammo and rotate the cylinder freely. So it seems there either was a very little burr or some debris in those 2 chambers that is now gone.

I have not yet decided what to do about the trigger frame screws or miss-fit grip panel.

rob

DHD

Single-Sixer
PM me and I'll send you a set....

A good thing about stainless is you can do most fitting yourself and then do a polish with scotch brite and it'll look at least as good as the factory (probably better). A fine file and that triggerguard will be symmetrical (good eye Hondo, but you would notice what I'd miss!).

Grips don't usually concern me as they are put in a plastic bag as soon as I send the frame off for a custom set. I do understand your irritation though and I also understand the want to send it back so they can make it right.

Don't forget DougGuy as what he does will make that cylinder correct for each hole, but it ain't free, bit worth it if you have a problem.