New SS Ruger Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dale53

Blackhawk
I finally took pictures of my Bisley convertible. This is one fine handgun. It shoots as good as it looks. It is truly a versatile platform:

DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0386.jpg

This picture is with the .45 ACP cylinder in place.

I DID find it necessary to ream both cylinder throats to .4525" and have a trigger job done (I also had the Pawl modified to a free spin pawl). Just a bit of effort (and just a few dollars) and it is now absolutely first rate!

FWIW
Dale53

Dale53

Blackhawk
Thanks for the kind words, fellers. That background color is "money green" :mrgreen:

I believe that the SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible is one of the most practical and useful revolvers ever made.

I have been a .44 Special fan most of my life (and still am), but there is NO denying the appeal and downright usefulness of the .45 Colt/.45 ACP combination in the strong Ruger platform. Used with the proper loads for the purpose, this handgun does everything from "mild to wild"... It is about everything that the reloader can dream of. For those who shoot nothing but factory loads, he will also be served well by this combination.

Dale53

actionflies

Bearcat
Very nice gun! I have 2 blued Blackhawk with the 45acp cylinder and it is my favorite gun to shoot because it's very accurate. In fact I think it's just as accurate as my $1300 STI target 1911 and cost a lot less.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I don't understand why Ruger doesn't fix the undersize throats, and market these revolvers. Even the standard blue convertables, offer a bisley model with properly sized throats. In '01 or '02 I put a bisley grip on my 5.5 blued convertable, which I purchased a couple of years earlier with that plan in my mind. Far and away a favorite pistol of mine.

rong

Bearcat
Nice Bisley
Question- reaming the cylinder to .4525.
Is that something I can do at home buying
a simple tool, and will I have to re-blue
anything?
Thanks-Ron

M'BOGO

Buckeye
rong":2560smic said:
Nice Bisley
Question- reaming the cylinder to .4525.
Is that something I can do at home buying
a simple tool, and will I have to re-blue
anything?
Thanks-Ron

The kit can bought from Brownells for $130, plus some cutting oil. It only affects the throats, no need for rebluing. There is a service that does it for $30 a cylinder or two for $50, http://www.cylindersmith.com/ , and or check with your local smithy.

rong

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply.
One more question:
I read on another post or forum
if you can't without too much
difficulty push a bullet nose thru
the cylinder you don't need a
ream job, well I can't push
noses thru my 3 screw .357,
my 44 or my 45.I'd have to tap them with a
hammer maybe. I can quite easily
push a nose thru my Model 29-3 and thats
my go to pistol-so I imagine all three rugers
need ream jobs?
Thanks so much
Ron

M'BOGO

Buckeye
The best way to be sure, tap a lead slug through your throat, then mic it. The .45 Blackhawks seem to be the worst, running .448 up to .450. while my New Vaquero runs .4525. It depends on the slugs and the individual throats.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
M'BOGO":3l5w6fny said:
The best way to be sure, tap a lead slug through your throat, then mic it. The .45 Blackhawks seem to be the worst, running .448 up to .450. while my New Vaquero runs .4525. It depends on the slugs and the individual throats.
Seems to depend on the vintage in regard to the throats, early 70's seem to be overly large, in the .456-7" range. But seems to me if Ruger can get the Vaquero right at .4525" they could have done it all along in EVERY .45 Colt they ever built! (Or gone with a .454" barrel if pre WW2 dimensions was the intent!) Why they haven't built the .45 BH as well as they do the SBH is a mystery to me! :roll: Nice Bisley Dale 53, bet it's a fine shooter now!

Dale53

Blackhawk
It is cold around here (11 degrees at night and 30's during the day) so after I reamed the cylinders, I tried it out indoors at fifty feet. This was off a makeshift rest:

img072.jpg

With either cylinder, it will also better 1" at 25 yards. I only got to shoot it one time outdoors before the weather got cold and I didn't keep those targets.

Dale53

toysoldier

Hunter
You can trim .30-06 cases to make cylinder-length shotshells for the .45ACP cylinder. They come close to .410 shells, so you have your own Ruger Judge. :)

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have made and shot a good number of shotshells in various calibers. The most effective ones I have used have been reloaded using Speer Shot cups and #12 shot (available from Ballistic Products).

Dale53

KEN TN

Bearcat
Dale53,
I also have the 45 LC/ACP Bisley and love it. Mine has the standard wood grips. I would love to find a set of the black laminates for mine. To me the 5 1/2" barrel is just about the best for carry use while hunting.

Mine is used as back up for my Marlin Guide gun. 45 Colt and 45-70 just seem to go together so well.

I have not yet reamed the throats but it is on the to do list.
I also have a pair of Birds head Vaqueros I use in SASS and I'm sure they could also be improved with reaming. Since I have 4 cylinders to do I may buy the reamer and do it myself.

I have used the Speer Shot capsules but have yet to find #12 shot locally.
The #9 shot I Have used does well but I have read a lot of great results on using the #12.

There are always a few "Keepers" and this is one that will stay in the collection.

Dale53

Blackhawk
Ken TN;
I have NEVER been able to find #12 shot locally and have to do with #9 on occasion. Shipping costs on lead is kind of expensive, so what I have done in the past is to get someone to order with me and we split the shipping. Ballistic Products has always had the best price on #12 shot that I could find. A few pounds of shot will load a lot of pistol rounds.

Most of us that have tried #12 shot never want to be forced to use something else...

FWIW
Dale53