New SS Blackhawk in 45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
If my cyl. throats are .450,,,shoot it for 10 years. It still measures .450". My Vaquero shot low. So low I left it at home. Reaming made a huge difference for me. And 2 of these .45's were new stainless

LAH

Buckeye
I fitted an ACP cylinder to my Blachhawk. The gun shot very well with .454" Lyman 452374 bullets. It would put them in close to an inch at 25 yards. The bullet would also stay on the 160 yard rock which means little to everyone but me as I know the size of the rock.

The gun did however lead. I purchased a set of pin gauges & found the cylinder throats to be .448". A pin gauge also revealed a choke at the barrel/frame junction. I fire lapped the barrel & had the throats reamed. I've put maybe a 1000/1500 rounds through it since the work. It doesn't seem to be anymore accurate but in full discloser I've not shot the gun with that same load. I will however do that soon as I exhausted my ammo supply & I'm loading the brass back with the Lyman bullet & same load. Except these bullets will be sized .452".

And to think I put several thousand rounds through the gun before even checking. And Dave you are correct, lead alloy bullets won't enlarge tight throats. Reaming is the way to go.

hdrk1111

Bearcat
Wow how cool is this site. I have recently purchased my first new blackhawk. I am currently saving for another in 45/45acp .i don't even know how any of the above information even applies ,but the fact that so many knowledgeable folks are Willing to share what they know is wicked cool. I am learning so much so fast. Thanks guys !

Latest posts