New SR9c with Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Several weeks ago my wife mentioned she'd be happy to go shooting with me at the pistol range. I knew she had shot a .380 auto a couple of decades ago, so started out thinking along the lines of a .380 auto for her. Took her to the range and rented several 9mm pistols and she was happy with the amount of recoil. She fired a few rounds from my Colt Governement in .45 auto, but that was a bit much for her. So, we started serious shopping for a 9mm and decided on the SR9c. We were looking for a gun that fits both of us, since this is "our" gun. She's 5'4" and I am 6'2", so that was a challenge.

We picked up the Ruger after work yesterday and went to the range this evening. Last night, I stripped it down and cleaned/degreased it. I removed the magazine disconnect and did a small bit of polishing with Flitz: striker, tab on the trigger transfer that hits the striker blocker, slide guide tabs on the fire control assembly, obvious metal contact points that were already showing motion contact. I ran a wet patch followed by dry down the bore using Ballistol. Light greasing of the rails with white lithium. I disassembled and cleaned the magazines.

This morning I hand loaded 100 rounds: 125 grain cast LRN, 3.6 grains of Bullseye powder, mixed brass, Federal small pistol primers, COAL 1.151 inches. I also bought some ammo, as this is our only 9mm (so far). Sellier & Bellot 115 gr FMJ, Blazer Brass 115 gr FMJ, and Remington Golden Sabre 124 gr JHP.

We fired 232 rounds at the range today. No malfuntions whatsoever. I can not tell anything about the ejection pattern, as the brass was hitting the wall and then bouncing. Everything did go over the right shoulder. Ejected brass was in good condition and I saw no deformation. I did notice some primer cratering and this was for all brands. I can not say if the handloads showed that.

My, this pistol is a joy to shoot! I am very happy with it and find the accuracy quite nice. I did have to adjust the sights, as it was shooting high and to the right out of the box. A few clicks of the elevation screw and a tap or two using a hammer and wooden dowel, I had the sights on. The sights are easy to pick up and use.

I measured groups shot at 7 yards from a bag rest. I shot groups of 5 and measured the tightest three rounds center-to-center (pictures to follow tomorrow). I don't have a chrony yet, so no velocity numbers. Group sizes were:

Sellier & Bellot: 0.55 in
Blazer: 0.47 in
Remington: 0.38 in
Handloads: 1.16 in

I did some one-handed standing shooting at 7 yards using the Blazer ammo. I was able to achieve a .75 inch group.

I invited the range owner to fire a few rounds. He was pleased with how smooth the SR9c is as well as the accuracy. He also liked the sights.

All in all, I am real happy with this pistol. The slide serrations are sharp and I did take a stone to them on the front and left side of the slide. I need to remove the extractor and do this to the right side.

As to the accuracy of the handloads, I suspect two things: Bullseye is not the right powder and my COAL needs to be tuned. Looking down the bore, it does appear the barrel has significant free-bore. My next loads will run a range of COALs to test that. Does anyone have recommendations as to powder?

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
This review is spot on in my book too...It shoots much better than the Glock 26 and is very tight from the factory. With the grip extension I see no need to buy the non "c" full size version.

I like the low bore that the standard and compact have....really makes the gun a pleasure to shoot. Did I mention that it was tight from the factory. Break in is a must...very fun too

0220001755.jpg

CenterTree

Bearcat
IronMikeGolf: Thanks for that informative range review. :)

Too bad you couldn't find a "2 for 1 deal" on the SR9c. One for you AND one for your wife. :p

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Here's pics from the range. The ones labelled with ammo type were shot at 7 yrds from a bag rest. The paper plate target was when I was adjusting sites at 7 yards. The two lower groups were shot using the isoceles position. The top group was one handed.

First up is just a bunch of shots at 7 yards. I think it was 37 rounds.
practice.jpg

Blazer Brass:
Blazer.jpg

Sellier & Bellot:
SB.jpg

Remington Golden Sabre:
R-P.jpg

More 7 yard shots, including one-handed:
offhand.jpg

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
CenterTree":351cxx9q said:
Too bad you couldn't find a "2 for 1 deal" on the SR9c. One for you AND one for your wife. :p

Yeah, I really really like this one! Sorting through the brass we picked up, I did find some .40 S&W. My wife said, "Don't throw that away! You just need to get a gun to go with those." She's the best!

CenterTree

Bearcat
Iron Mike Golf":m877y5do said:
CenterTree":m877y5do said:

Yeah, I really really like this one! Sorting through the brass we picked up, I did find some .40 S&W. My wife said, "Don't throw that away! You just need to get a gun to go with those." She's the best!

:p Maybe I should have said "too bad you couldn't get a 2 for 1 deal on HER!..LOL :D

jhearne

Buckeye
Good detailed range report IMG. Should serve you well.

ILP, didn't know you had an SR9c, good looking one you got though :).

Josh