New SR9 owner...cleaning?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Max8700

Bearcat
Hello, just bought a Ruger SR9 this week. First handgun.

Been reading a lot, but just curious how often people here suggest stripping and cleaning a handgun...every 200 rounds? 500 rounds?

I give my shotgun a good external wipedown after almost every time I shoot since it takes just a few moments. Every few times out I will run some Hoppe's through the barrel and breech area. Always felt like I was taking good care of it; just wanted to make sure I am doing as well with the SR9.

Thanks.

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
I have an SR40c, I clean it after every trip to the range, including the striker channel. It only takes 10 minutes to clean this pistol and it gives a chance to inspect it after every range trip

Matt

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I clean mine after every shoot. I detail strip and clean the slide every 1400 rounds or so. I've only stripped the lower once and will probably never do it again. Simply because I found it really doesn't get that dirty down in there and I mainly wanted to get a protective coating of oil in place.

Everyone is different I suppose. And remember its your gun. It'd probably be fine to clean only 500 rounds or so or more. One thing I'd do though is at least wipe the powder off the feed ramp. There's really no good reason not to and it only takes seconds and can be done without stripping. Good luck.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
If it's a new gun clean it thoroughly. My new SR9 was the dirtiest "new" pistol I ever bought. The grooves on my slide had oily grit in them. I took some Hoppe's #9, Q-Tips and toothpicks to clean it good. The striker channel had some oily grit in it as well. This forum has great stickies on the disassembly of the SR9. The SR9 shoots good dirty or clean. My LCP needs frequent cleanings to function smoothly. The SR9 I always clean the bore after shooting. Detail cleaning maybe 500 rounds or so.

Max8700

Bearcat
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Taking the gun to the range for the first time Saturday to put a few rounds through it; will pick up a cleaning kit (bore snake was recommended) at the store as well and strip/clean it afterward.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Be sure and flood the striker blocker button on the slide with lubricant, then wipe down. It is located just aft of the block. I did this for the first time after about 200 or so rounds. The trigger smoothed up noticeably immediately after flooding the blocker button a couple times with CLP, then wiping down. Don't know if it will make a difference with other's weapons, but it sure made a difference in mine.

My trigger was gritty, when new. Smoothed up nicely by about 400 - 500 rounds.