New SR1911 CMD, New Pics with .22 lr Slide

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I finally found one today, here in Louisville, at the new Cabella's. In a side by side comparison to my two year old, full length SR1911, both have great fit and finish. The only difference I could initially see was that the new Commander length SR1911 has two 7-shot magazines furnished while the full sized one had an eight and a seven.

I live on a small farm here in KY, so getting some range time was no problem. I cleaned the new gun up, ran a patch through the bore, lubed the slides, lugs, and bushing and headed on out. I ran two magazines of Winchester White Box 230 gr. FMJ through it just to test for functioning and magazine problems and also to begin breaking in the trigger. Accuracy was as good as my first SR1911...a little over an inch at 12 yds from a Weaver Stance, slow fire. The pic below is of those first seven rounds. I bumped one a bit high but the rest were right in there...I also found that the sights were dead on right out of the box, a nice touch as I didn't have to get out the brass drift and a small ball peen for sight adjustments.

The last two magazines were shot with my standard practice load: a 200 gr. TWC with 5.2 gr's. of either Win 231 or HP38. Accuracy was every bit as good as the hard ball with no FTF's or FTE. Not much of a test, granted, but I'm currently busy rebuilding the deck and my wife's been after me to get it finished up before our grand-kids arrive.

Overall, I like the feel/balance of the shorter barrel length when compared to the usual 5" barreled model...and too, it's a mite easier to conceal...but not much. I don't see any accuracy difference between the two barrel lengths either.

Initial cleaning was no problem, but as has been my experience with the last cpl Rugers, the barrel had not been cleaned; presumably from the test fire done by Ruger, done on 5/13/13. Standard 1911 field stripping did not need the supplied barrel wrench either.

Looks it'll work out to be a nice addition to the carry rotation.

Best Regards, Rod

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Been experimenting with the new gun this am...got out my 9 mm slide/barrel upper with a Barsto tube in it and tried it. I'd previously fitted this Colt upper to a Colt Combat Commander, originally in .45 ACP. That gun shot it very well indeed, but was more accurate with the .45 unit.

The new Ruger presented no problems sliding the unit into place, the mag fit well, so it was off to the fence rail to see if it would function. Again, as with the .45 ACP slide, there were no FTF's or FTE with the 9mm, Federal bulk 115 FMJ's I fed it, as well as my hand loaded practice round with a light dose of WST and a 124 gr lead alloy cast bullet.

Accuracy from the 10 yd line is equivalent to the .45 ACP rounds...down around an inch and quarter from a two-handed Weaver Stance position. I'll try it later today if I have the time, from farther out and with a fully supported position. One good point is that it shoots the 9mm ammunition to a centered, 1/2" low point of impact from 10 yds. Plenty good enough for my practice sessions, and virtually the same as the unit does when mounted up on my Colt Commander.

The slide did not lock open after the last round on two occasions but that may have been a function of these loads which are pretty light according to the load data and my chronograph. Too, as I recall, I had to change out the ejector and the slide stop when I did the conversion on the Colt Combat Commander.

Here are a few pics of the 9mm slide with Barsto bbl. mounted up on the Ruger frame.

Best Regards, Rod

JNewell

Single-Sixer
Neat, very neat. That's quite interesting that the Colt 9mm top end fits and functions on the Ruger!

I slightly prefer the balance of an all steel Commander to both the steel Government Model and the traditional Commander, but that's personal preference.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Great shooting and it continue to be amazed at my SR1911s. They are a great gun for the price.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Yep, it's going to be a keeper. I've also got a Colt Combat Commander slide/bbl. in .38 Super. It shot as well as the 9mm did...right down at an inch at 12 yds from a Weaver Stance. My #2 son has my Ciener .22 lr upper at the present time, but I have no doubt that it too will fit this sweet shooting Ruger. It'll be my 2nd 4-caliber gun! Thanks for the replies. Rod

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I did a bit more shooting last night....after changing out the 9mm slide and barrel for a .38 Super upper. I'd fitted the .38 Super slide to my old Colt Combat Commander 15+ years ago. On the new Ruger CMD 1911, it slid right on the rails, no fitting issues at all. The attached target shows the results of a 7 round magazine of one of my handloads: Unique and Winchester's bulk buy 115 gr. JHP. It's always been a good load in the other Commander and this new Ruger seems to like it as well. I shot this group from 15 yds, this time, using a Weaver two-handed stance. Three calibers now and the gun likes 'em all. Truly versatile. Best Regards, Rod

The new Ruger SR1911 with a .38 Super slide and barrel installed.

Target shot from 15 yds, Weaver Stance.

eveled

Hawkeye
It would be awesome if Ruger put all those together in a caliber exchange kit.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I am going to have to play with this in the future. I have an XSE LW Commander in 38 Super that may be the first thing to try.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I agree that Ruger is missing a bet by not offering a caliber exchange kit...similar to the ones offered by Sig for the P226 and others. I've got a P226 in 9mm and bought a .40 S&W slide and barrel as well. It's a concept that I like, and offers diversity in ammunition choices in these hard times. All that aside, it's just fun! After market barrels are another option, like those available for Glocks, but you almost need adjustable sights to make good use of them. My wife's G23 in .40 S&W also shoots a Storm Lake 9mm barrel. Impact points for the two barrels using the same slide are close enough for defensive use out to 20 yds....where they're about 2" apart.

Sig is pretty proud of their exchange kits...over $320 as I recall...but with adjustable sights, the Storm Lake or Lone Wolf barrels at around $100 make sense.

There are other issues in caliber change: ejector size and location, recoil spring strength are just two. I've been lucky with this gun, and was lucky too, with its predecessor the Colt Combat Commander. 1911 Tuner pointed out as I recall, that the feed cut in the frame is somewhat different 9mm vs. .38 Super, vs. .45 ACP. I've looked and found it hard to see (I do have a Colt Gov't Model in 9mm) comparing it to my Combat Commander and to a Series 70 Gold Cup. But it does make for an interesting project.

HTH's Rod

Best Regards, Rod

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I was unable to get my Ciener .22 Upper back for a test run on the new SR1911 CMD, but did find my Marvel Unit 2 in the safe. After a quick check of the Marvel's specs, which showed it could be used on both full size and 'Commander' length frames, I lubed the rails, slipped it on the rails, tightened the bolt stop/recoil spring screw and headed out to the fence rail range.

Remington Golden .22's, of the HP persuasion, fed, fired and ejected flawlessly, and with acceptable accuracy for training....1.5" at 12 yds, flyers and all, using my customary Weaver Stance. I've had better accuracy from the SR1911 full size, with this ammunition in the past, so I'm not sure it wasn't me after three cups of coffee, then out on the slippery grass by 7:30 am. I had a cpl of flyers low, but the main group of two magazines was right at an inch for the 14 rounds fired. Time will tell. It's a true 4-caliber Ruger at this point.

Here's a pic of the Marvel mounted up, kind of a 'long barreled' Commander and, for comparison's sake, a pic of of the full size SR1911 with a 'Commander' length Ciener Unit mounted, a 'short barreled' Gov't model, if you will.

Best Regards, Rod

Ruger CMD with Marvel .22 lr unit.

Ruger SR1911 (full size) with Ciener .22 lr unit.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Here's the whole enchilada....a little gun p**n for the morning coffee. Looks like I got the 9mm round on the .38 Super slide and visa versa!

Best Regards, Rod

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Sure...the barrel length is 3/4" shorter, other than that, it's the same as full size 1911...in that sense, it's a bit more concealable...it's as thin or thinner as a Glock 19 or 23 and only 1/4" longer in the grip, for instance...but weight and overall size make it somewhat difficult for CC. There are probably better, and worse choices.

HTH's Rod BTW, ArmedinAZ, my two sons and I are all Eagles...a great organization for young men, none better for teaching citizenship, IMHO...R

JNewell

Single-Sixer
I'm going to have to try my old 1950s Colt Conversion Kit on the SR-1911CMD! Assuming I can find some .22LR...

Rodfac

Blackhawk
JNewell, My Colt Conversion Unit would not slip onto the rail of my full size SR1911 for some reason. Haven't tried it on the CMD as yet. I do remember that several other posters were able to use their Colt Units however. HTH's Rod

Brian48

Bearcat
I just bought a Kimber 22lr conversion kit. It does not fit very well at all with my CMD. Not a big deal since I meant it for my full size SW1911, of which it seems to work very well with, but it was disappointing nevertheless. The was supposed to work with Commander length guns as well.