New Speer #15 reloading manual

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
I just received the new Speer manual Monday and have been reading it nightly, checking for errors. Only found one so far involving the text for the 338 RCM and I'm sure it's an editing error. It shows that the parent case for the 338 RCM was the 375 H&H, not the 375 Ruger, which is correct. The style is different from past manuals and the writing style is very interesting. Since I have Speer #7 through 14, Hornady #1 through 10, Lyman #43 through 50, Nosler #1 through 8, and the Barnes and Swift manuals, I must have needed this one as well. I also just received the new Western powders manual, a through tome in it's self. I just enjoy reading and I have Ken Waters complete Pet Loads as a place to start from. That's what comes from reloading for 51 years. Bob :mrgreen:

Hey Bob,
Does the Speer manual have many loads for the 338 RCM? The only 2 manuals I have with any listing of it are the 2009 Hodgdon Annual, and the new Lyman manual. I have been loading Nosler 210 grain Partitions with 51.7 grains of H-4895 for 2630 FPS. Hodgdon shows 52 grains as max, and a compressed load.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Yes, I have all of the Sierra manuals, as well. I actually met Sierra's manual's editor, Bill McDonald, at one of the SHOT shows. Bill, a graduate of MIT, has forgot more about bullets than most of us know. I saw with regret that he recently passed away. Yes, the #15 has data for the 338 RCM, as does Hornady #10, the new Western powder edition 1, and Lyman #50 as you stated. Believe it or not, I've read them all cover to cover, except the 2 newest ones. There is a technical section for each cartridge in #15. Bob!! 8)

Cholo

Staff member
loaded round said:
May I ask what you paid for it and where?
I paid $30 at Sportsman's Warehouse. Midway has them for the same price: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019760942/speer-reloading-manual-15

rangerbob

Buckeye
I bought mine from Graf & son with my FFL account. I waited and waited for Midway to get them in and finally went to Graf. Naturally, the next day, Midway had them in stock. I paid about $26 plus shipping and I also got 100 pieces of Hornady brass with the manual. I would advise to wait for free shipping from Midway and add a few other items. I could not find them on Amazon. Bob!! :mrgreen:

Rclark

Hunter
Got mine ... and of course I turn to the .45 Colt page. For the 250g SWC they have listed for Unique 'starting' at 8.6 to 9.5 Max . No this isn't in the ROL listing area. I normally think of max of 8.5g for 250g to 260g bullet. Velocity wise I got 977fps with a 255g SWC over 8.5g of Unique out of 5 1/2" barrel. They list 891fps for 8.6g. They don't list a barrel length that I could find. I went to the #14, and #12 and they have the same thing. But Speer #10 is 7.5 to 8.5 which is where I think it should be. Strange. Checked Lyman and they are in the 7-8.5g range... Anyway. Just pointing this out FWIW. Universal is a little high too (I think of it very close to Unique). Checked AA#5 and it was where I thought it should be. Same with 4227. Same with W-231. This is why I we have 'other' manuals to check!

{edited} 4/16/18 Got a message back from Speer and they say it is fine for that bullet... So I got my answer. I'll still stick with 8.5 being max for 250-260 grain bullets though.

Sevastopol

Bearcat
Speer used to have some Reduced Loads with SR 4759 (pretty sure it was .30-06 data). If they have supplanted them with 5744 or some other obtainable powder in the new manual, I might buy it.

MZ5

Bearcat
Speer has shown reduced loads for many rifle cartridges for decades. I hope they have kept that reduced data, and that they're updating it. Reduced loads add a very fun dimension to 'plinking' with your hunting rifle!

dougader

Hunter
Sevastopol said:
Speer used to have some Reduced Loads with SR 4759 (pretty sure it was .30-06 data). If they have supplanted them with 5744 or some other obtainable powder in the new manual, I might buy it.
They show reduced loads with 4759, 5744 and 4198, but not much of it at all.

I love Speer 14. My hard bound copy has a broken spine from lots of use. Other than a little data for MR2000, CFE 223 and BE-86, I'm not that impressed with Speer 15. I keep looking it over and wonder why there isn't more data for the newer powders.

32 H&R mag shows ONLY data with the Speer HBWC. 327 Federal shows data only for the Speer 100 grain GDHP, which - last I heard - had been discontinued along with their 115 grain GDHP.

I am to the point where I doubt I'll be buying more reloading manuals. I figure I'm set with Speer 11, 13, 14 and 15; Hornady 6th and 10th; Lyman 46, 47 and 49; Sierra 5th; and Nosler 3rd and 5th. With Handloader mag articles, online data, etc., I'm not seeing the need for more....

Sevastopol

Bearcat
dougader said:
Sevastopol said:
They show reduced loads with 4759, 5744 and 4198, but not much of it at all.

I love Speer 14. My hard bound copy has a broken spine from lots of use. Other than a little data for MR2000, CFE 223 and BE-86, I'm not that impressed with Speer 15. I keep looking it over and wonder why there isn't more data for the newer powders.

32 H&R mag shows ONLY data with the Speer HBWC. 327 Federal shows data only for the Speer 100 grain GDHP, which - last I heard - had been discontinued along with their 115 grain GDHP.

I am to the point where I doubt I'll be buying more reloading manuals. I figure I'm set with Speer 11, 13, 14 and 15; Hornady 6th and 10th; Lyman 46, 47 and 49; Sierra 5th; and Nosler 3rd and 5th. With Handloader mag articles, online data, etc., I'm not seeing the need for more....
Thank you. I might consider a new one from Sierra.

dougader

Hunter
There is a thread here in the Reloading section regarding the new Western powders manual. I have been looking at one at work when I have a few minutes here and there and may just bite the bullet on that one, just for something new and some specific data for Ramshot and Accurate Arms powders.