New Single-Six Owner

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wavehopr

Single-Sixer
Today I picked up my new Single-Six SS. This is my first experience with a Single-six. I was surprised to find that the hammer spring is MUCHO stout, i.e. it takes a good thumb to pull it back. It's much stronger than my 44 Super Blackhawk or my 357 Blackhawk. Heck, it's even much stronger than my BFR 45-70. Is this normal? Will it lighten up with use?

flatgate

Hawkeye
I wonder if there's a bind somewhere. Theoretically the springs in all three guns should be very similar UNLESS one of the centerfires has the internal lock feature.

flatgate

wavehopr

Single-Sixer
The 2 Blackhawks are OM's from the '60s, so thier new spring tension has been long ago relieved. When I was young and stupid, I fanned the .44 SBH. If I tried that with the SS, it would tear my hand to pieces. The BFR has been shot maybe 300 times.

As far as binding, the feel of the hammer when drawing it back is very smooth with no feel of metal-to-metal friction. It's just stiff throughout its travel.

scottaschultz

Bearcat
Now you went and did it! You made me get out my guns and check. I got out my Single Six and Blackhawk 50th Anniversary .357 revolvers. (Each is a New Model) I never thought about comparing them at the same time, but sure enough, it does take quite a bit more "umph" to pull the hammer back on the Single Six than the Blackhawk. I did them both at the same time and even switched hands to make sure it was a fair test.

There is an obvious difference between the two guns, but certainly nothing objectionable or in need of correction.

Scott

flatgate

Hawkeye
scottaschultz":bv28z77j said:
I got out my Single Six and Blackhawk 50th Anniversary .357 revolvers.

There is an obvious difference between the two guns, but certainly nothing objectionable or in need of correction.

Scott

Ah, well, this is one instance where the springs are definitely different. The 50th Anniv. Blackhawks use the same mainspring as installed on the latest Cowboy Action Shooting model, the New Vaquero. The first thing any CAS shooter does is change out the springs in his revolver. Ruger did it for him.

So, when comparing the "non-lock" NM Single-Six with the lock equipped 50th Anniv. Blackhawks one can easily notice the lighter mainspring on the Blackhawk.

This has no correlation to wavehopr's observations, if I'm understanding his situation properly.

flatgate

scottaschultz

Bearcat
See Flatgate, this is exactly why I keep coming back here time and time again!

BTW, my birthday is tomorrow and I sent my wife a link to Heritage Gun Books for The Ruger Single Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual, Vols. 1&2. We'll see if she got the hint!

Now that I own two Ruger SA's, I figure its time to see what makes these things tick!

I guess now I have to get in touch with my local SASS chapter and see what makes them tick!

Thanks again,
Scott

MEWERT

Bearcat
I have a new SS 17HMR that is way stiffer than my New Vaquero 45LC. I just figured they tune the Vaquero's better. And then the Vaquero seems stiff compared to my Colt Python. It's all in how much money you spend. :)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
wavehopr":3fhmzlb3 said:
Today I picked up my new Single-Six SS. This is my first experience with a Single-six. I was surprised to find that the hammer spring is MUCHO stout, i.e. it takes a good thumb to pull it back. It's much stronger than my 44 Super Blackhawk or my 357 Blackhawk. Heck, it's even much stronger than my BFR 45-70. Is this normal? Will it lighten up with use?

The answer to your question is: all Ruger SAs previous to the New Vaquero and 50th Ann. and 44 Lipsey's Flattop, use the same spring and length spring strut! So a Super Blackhawk. a Blackhawk, a Super SS and a Single Six have the same tension spring; 22 coils. Obviously the Super BH and BH with their taller hammers have greater leverage then the short SSix hammers.

The solutions are:
1. Clip 2 1/2 coils from the S Six spring. With a little dexterity and pointed nippers it can be done without even removing the spring. Unload the gun, remove grips and start at the hammer end of the spring cutting 1/2 coil at a time. Lay the gun on a padded surface, push one side of the nipper cutting tip down firmly along the flat side of the strut to get behind the first coil of the spring and clip. Wear safety glasses. Keep going beyond 2 1/2 coils if you like, but NOT more than 2 more full coils. If you cut the full 4 1/2 coils and have misfires, go to option 2 or 3 below. But 2 1/2 to 3 coils will make a noticeable difference and not cause misfires.

2. 2nd option: buy and install a spring kit; I like Wolf kits.

3. 3rd option: order a New Vaquero spring.

If you want to reduce the trigger pull by half (and I do this on all size SAs), just unhook one side of the trigger return spring under the grip panel. If it's too light a pull for you, you can just put it back. Or if you get a spring kit, use the reduced power trigger spring that comes in the kit.

You'll be much happier! Rugers are built 'hell-for-stout'! Any questions please don'y hesitate to ask or e-mail me.

victank1

Bearcat
Ruger single sixes and blackhawks if I'm not out on a limb here come from the factory at 22 lbs..You can get wolf springs down to 14 lbs for replacement and you can install these yourself in about 15 minutes if you are a little mechanicley inclined and have a small 1/32 piece of wire or hex key. Then your little Ruger will be smooth and finer than frogs hair. If you are a little afaid to tackle this job there are plenty of folks who will help you with it out here.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've tried the "softer" trigger springs and liked how they work, but, cheap skate flatgate will usually just bend BOTH legs of the New Model trigger spring to get a lighter pull.

All the fancy springs in the world will NOT slick up the action and reduce the "creep" in the trigger, though.

JMHO,

flatgate

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
flatgate":9a8tpshb said:
All the fancy springs in the world will NOT slick up the action and reduce the "creep" in the trigger, though.

JMHO,

flatgate

I bend the factory trigger return spring as well. Flatgate is right. In fact, after my trigger pull was lightened, the gritty creep to the trigger was even more noticeable. Highly recommend you learn how to stone the trigger/hammer mating sufaces, or have a gunsmith do it for you.

Swamper

Bearcat
Wavehopr,

The answer to your original questions are Yes and Yes, somewhat, respectively.

The reason that you experience a considerable difference from the rimfire to the centerfire, where you require more effort to cock the rimfire, is because of the reduced hammer size found on the rimfire. This results in a diminished moment arm or moment of force (basic Physics) and increase torque required to complete the task. Here is a link that is perfect to give you additional information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

Remember pulley, levers, and fulcrums make the world go round.

All that said, you really need to be careful with the Single Six. The chief danger is addiction. :D

Swamper

Pal Val

Buckeye
I bought a SSsix Hunter a year ago and noticed the heavy springs and gritty triger feel. The gritty feel was caused by... grit! Once I gave the workings a good cleaning, degreasing and light lube, it became much better. I also changed the springs for the next-lighter Wolff. It's routine for all my Ruger SA guns. It now has a 4 lb trigger, pretty smooth. I've only had about a dozen or so misfires, all from the same brick of Remington. No problems with Federals or CCI.

Needless to say, I have no trip to the range without a single-six. They're fun and cheap to shoot. Winning combination. Also, they're just what the doctor ordered for "hunting" empty cans and shooting at a spinner target at my favorite plinking place. The Hunter, with a 2x Leupold scope on top, is a particular favorite.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I just fell off the wagon yesterday and a SS Single Six 5 1/2 followed me home. Yep, I noticed too that the hammer was harder to pull back than my BH or Bisley Vaquero (both .45 Colts).

Shorter lever arm makes sense.

AZ_6_Shooter

Bearcat
I had to go out into the hobby room and try the same routine.....yeah....its true.....my 9.5 inch model Single Six is a bit more tough on the trigger spring than my old Redhawk.