New Single Six Hunter, already going back to Ruger.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cgb

Bearcat
After much waiting I finaly got my hands on a Single Six Hunter. I looked it over before I bought it, and other than a few light scratches and a buggered up screw in the grip frame, it looked ok. Good crown, cylinder gap, ect. I figured I could just replace the buggered screw. Well, I took it out to sight it in, and after about 20 rounds the ejector housing flew off. I retrieved the parts at the line break, and tried to put them back on. The hole in the barrel is to far back, and the body of the screw stops against the inside curvature of the housing. This only allows the screw to go in 1/4 of a turn. I can see they filed the hole in the housing oblong so the screw would catch the threads, but it only is held in by 1 thread. It wont tighten down properly, and there is a huge gap between the barrel and the housing. Next, the 2 grip frame screws on either side of the hammer. They were a little buggered up. I got new ones, and took the old ones out to replace them. They had a lot of resistance until the head clears the hole in the grip frame. Once I got them out, I could see why. They are DRILLED OFF CENTER! Not just a little, but way off center. That's why the heads are stripped out. They thread in ok till the head has to go into the hole. Then the screw head has to squeeze over the side and drag its way down. They just cranked them in there. This is not just an oversite. Someone assembled this garbage like this. I have 2 other New Model Single Sixes, one stainless and one blued, both from the mid 90's, and none of them are built like this. I am not expecting a custom revolver for the price. But come on, at least fit the parts corectly, and drill the holes on center. I am dissapointed to say the least. I waited 4 months for this garbage? I called Ruger, and they sent out UPS to pick it up. I can only hope all the problems are taken care of. If they are, I will definitly repost with praise for fixing the problems and making right with a dissatisfied customer. I am really thinking of only buying older guns from now on. The last 3 guns I have bought had to go back. A S&W 617, a Marlin 982VS, and now this Ruger. S&W and Marlin both fixed the problems, and I hope Ruger does the same. Heres a pic, all I have to look at after spending $600+ on a gun.
DSCF0525.jpg

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Sorry to hear but as with anything manufactured by humans, things do slip by. I'm darn sure Ruger will make it right. I am curious... $600 seems high even for new but in some areas, perhaps...anyways, a red case? What's the end label?

cgb

Bearcat
It was $540 from Buds, but I had to pay the dealer a fee to transfer it, so a little under $600 total cost to me. What's the end label? Is it odd for it to have a red case?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Yes it's odd for these to have the red case. Usually only used on the 50th ann guns and on a few special distributor models. The end label is the yellow or white printed label on the end of the case giving the info on the firearm (model, ser #, cat #, etc)

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Not all the Hunters did, just the MKIII Hunters I believe, and again, some special run models. All the SA Hunters I've seen had the standard grey ones.

Cholo

Staff member
Does that gun even fit the box? Looks like the barrel is about an inch too long and it all just doesn't seem to fit.

The manual also says Bisley, but maybe Ruger uses the same manual for both models.

Can you tell I havn't bought a new model in awhile?

No.1Nick

Single-Sixer
Boy does this sound familiar! All 5 of my grip frame screws were buggered up as well. (New Single Six Hunter 17hmr) The grip frame itself has a very rough spot on it above the left medallion and it looks like the grip frame was taken off repeatedly at the factory and put back on trying to make it better. To top it off, the grips actually fit so bad that you can look clear through the grip frame from one side and see clear through the other and see daylight. A lot of daylight! The holes on mine seem to line up fine though. Very unhappy with the quality of this Ruger. Called them and of course they want me to send it to them. I do not want to be without it for 8 months so I opted to have them send me new screws as well and am going to have pvtschultz
make me some new grips in the very near future. I wonder if they have new employees or a single one that is having problems with these hunter models because I have read of others with quality issues on theirs as well.
For the record this is the 1st one that I have had any issues with.
:(

cgb

Bearcat
Is this gun for sure new in the box from Ruger?

I got it from Bud's online, so I assume its new. They sold it to me as new. I don't know of any FFL's who let you return something after you used and abused it a little, but you never know. Then again, I doubt someone had the screw holes welded up, and re-drilled them off center. Aparently, I need to bring a set of screwdrivers with me when buying a Ruger firearm, so I can completely dissasemble the thing for inspection before purchase. I sent it back. I know it will be gone a while, but 8 months, wow. I can get work from some of the in demand custom gunsmiths in that amount of time. Did someone have one out that long? S&W had one back in 2 weeks, and Marlin, 3 weeks. 6 to 8 weeks, I could live with that, but If it's gone 8 months, it will definitly be the last Ruger I ever buy.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
8 months is a long time and "in-demand smiths" are faster... I know the big boys are up to years in turn around time for new projects and the one I use is running months as are some other widely known 'smiths.
I'd still be a bit more concerned with this being out of the ordinary with it's packaging and such. Assume nothing.
Is there ANY label on the box? What exactly EAS included in this sale as far as paperwork, packaging, etc?

cgb

Bearcat
The box is back at ruger now, but it had the model number and barrel length, plus a sticker with a bar code. It came with the manual, a card to fill out your personal information on one side, and information about the safety conversion on the other. Scope rings in a zip lock bag with instructions. , gun lock with instructions, a fired shell in a manilla envelope, mag cylinder wrapped in bubble wrap, and the gun in a thick non-sealable plastic bag. What is "EAS"

Ewalker

Bearcat
The reason I asked is I bought one at a gun shop as new but when I got it home and went thru the paper work inside it had already been sent to the factory once for some problem with the trigger, and I don't think they fixed it the first time bcause it was the worst trigger pull I have ever felt in my life of any weapon. The gun shop sold it to me as new.
What about the rings in a zip lock bag I don't remember ruger sending any rings like that but I could be wrong because I can't remember my own name half the time.
I hope it all works out for you.

rbannon

Bearcat
I did see a NIB Single Six Hunter at a gun show a few months ago that was in the red plastic box. End label seemed correct. First I've seen that was not in the standard gray. It did seem a little rougher in fit and finish than earlier examples.

cgb

Bearcat
The serial# on the gun matched the one on the box. So did the model#, KNR-7H It is not a sandwich baggie, it's a thick, tall, slim bag with a zip lock top. Who knows, maybe it was returned. I've bought a few guns from Bud's and never had a problem. If Ruger fixes it, I'll be happy. I have a few other Rugers on my wish list, and if they stand behind their product, I feel confident buying another one. It sucks to have to send it off, but hopefully it comes back in a reasonable amount of time.

ibboatin28

Single-Sixer
mattsbox99":2g6ryatf said:
Yea it should have a green case. Only the Hunters got those. I have a couple, they have orange end labels.

I just bought 3 of the .17 Hunters. Everyone of them are in the gray case.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
How is this story going? When I sent a gun to Ruger it took almost six weeks. I couldn't have been happier with the work! I hope you are too!

Redstick

Single-Sixer
When I sent mine back to them, they worked it over and then sent it back to me - it was still the same - then I sent it back to then a second time and they "determined my gun needed to be replaced" :shock: and I got something all together different... It all took a little over a year... I spent a long time waiting for the Hunter to go into production, it didn't and the 4" Redhawks were going to be in production first so I got one of them.
COULDN'T BE HAPPIER WITH THAT GUN!!! :mrgreen: