New Single Six Hunter, already going back to Ruger.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cgb

Bearcat
Well, I called Ruger today, and the guy said it was being worked on already. He asked me what happened to it, because it looked like they were replacing everything, barrel, grip frame, hammer, trigger, the works. I said it was like that when I got it new out of the box, and just sent it in. He said it should never have left the factory that way, and apologized. The guy on the phone was very nice and extremely helpful. He said I should have it back in a few weeks. I said as long as it comes back fixed, you have a happy customer that has some other Ruger products on his wish list. I will post again when I get it back.

Montelores

Buckeye
I needed to re-fit an ejector housing on a blued 6 1/2" Single Six because of a similar alignment issue, but I believe that the ejector housing (aluminum) was the problem.

When in position, the screw hole in the housing and the threaded hole did not align, so that the screw shoulder bottomed on the inside of the housing before the screw threads could fully seat in the threaded hole in the barrel. The ejector housing seemed to be a poor fit and also would not lay flush with the barrel prior to attachment.

I filed a bit on the circular area that inserts into the frame, but I still had little success. Ruger sent me a new ejector housing and screw, and, since I had another S/S housing removed, I swapped them around to achieve the best fit for all.

The defective housing (again, aluminum) seemed to have too much powder coating or paint on the surface in places, but the housing itself seemed problematic.

I am planning on ordering an aftermarket housing through Brownell's anyway, if only to see how I like the change.

It sounds as though you looked the revolver over very thoroughly prior to purchase; did the ejector housing screw seem to be fully seated and square?

It is a shame to hear of your problem, and I look forward to hearing about a successful resolution to the issue.

Monty

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
I had a poor-fit issue with the ejector housing, as well on a brand-new blued Single-Six I bought for my wife. The housing and the frame were a lousy fit. Ruger sent me a new housing but it wasn't any better, so I sent the whole works back to them. That was in late November. We got the gun back about a month later and it's fine now.

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
cgb":1800sbgm said:
..... I am really thinking of only buying older guns from now on. The last 3 guns I have bought had to go back. A S&W 617, a Marlin 982VS, and now this Ruger....
I'm with you there, my friend. That's actually why I'm over here at the Ruger forum. Got tired of issues with new S&W's and was hoping Ruger would be a better choice. I sent a S&W 317 back 3 different times and the issues weren't fixed - finally sold it at a loss.

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
Sure, Monty.
1) Problem 1: initially it "spit" powder back in my face on about 4 out of 8 cylinders (randomly). Returned to S&W where they supposedly re-cut the forcing cone. Still spat powder on about 1 out of 8 cylinders.

2) Shot too high, even with rear sight adjusted to max. Returned to S&W who supposedly "re-aligned barrel"....made no difference whatsoever.

3) Poor grouping - using a rest (bag), about the size of softball at 20 paces. As I was walking around the gun show this past weekend with it for sale, my friend noticed an uneven cut on one side of the barrel crown which I hadn't noticed before, likely the cause of the poor grouping.

4) Hammer sat a bit cockeyed to one side. Didn't cause any mechanical issue, though.

I LOVED the size, weight, and handiness of that gun, but it had some serious quality issues that I just couldn't live with. A dealer offered my $450 for it and I let him have it.

cgb

Bearcat
My 617, the ejector got stuck in the full extended position. This was after the very first cylinder of ammo. I could not even tap it back in with a mallot. There is some real junk comming out of some of these gun companies these days. Still waiting for the Ruger back. I home it comes back fixed, as I realy want a 77/22 Mag. Just want to make sure ruger is still the up company I remember before I take the plunge on another Ruger.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
cgb":3gdj5zo5 said:
It was $540 from Buds, but I had to pay the dealer a fee to transfer it, so a little under $600 total cost to me. What's the end label? Is it odd for it to have a red case?

I got my SS Hunter from Bud's today. It did come with a red case too. These are obviously left over cases from an anniversary gun: Maybe the SBH Anniversary gun? They have the insert for the fancy anniversary logo on the top, but no logo (looks crappy). The case clearly wasn't made for this gun.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Well cgb, your gun ought to be getting back to you soon! I know when my Red Label was there I talked to the service dept a couple of times and they were really top notch. I wish their assembly room was as competent. I wish you the best. Hope it comes soon and it will be "better" than new :D

rcf-3

Bearcat
I just bought a SS Hunter too.

Mine seems a little better.

The ERH was a horrible fit, but it looks to be that the housing is the issue, Ruger sent a new one and we will see, if it is not a good fit back it goes. Timing is good, the trigger seems OK but the b/c gap of .008-.009" pisses me off.

I also just noticed the hole that is bored out in the center of the cylinder that the base pin goes through has an extreme amount of too chatter, either from a dull bit or not enough lubrication.

Mine came in a red box as well.

If the ERH is a bad fit, AND Ruger does right by you I am sending this thing in with a list of what is wring, maybe they will correct everything.

Please keep us posted.

cgb

Bearcat
Still waiting. It sucks to get a gun that has to go back, not to mention, these manufactures should realize that it's probably going to get posted on the internet. It's been 6 weeks and I'm still waiting. From what I've read, it could be 6 more. I sure hope not. Suposedly it was already being worked on, but who knows what the real story is. Surely it must be cheaper to assemble a gun right in the first place, than to half ass it together, have it come back, and have that person tell everyone they can what a piece of crap it was. I had another Ruger on my wish list, but at this point, I don't think so. I had problems with the last couple guns I bought. S&W got it back to me in 2 weeks. Marlin took 3 weeks. Now that's service. Waiting months for something to get back just tells me that they have a tremendous work load, because they are fixing a multitude of half assed guns that "slip" past the non exsistent QC department. I have my doubts that any guns are pulled from the line for QC problems. I have my doubts anyone looks at them at all. Just ship it out and piss people off. Ruger used to make a decent gun at a reasonable price. I have a few older Rugers that are fit decent, and work great. Their not hand fit show pieces, but the parts are machined corectly, and the screws are drilled on center. 6 weeks in the magic time period for me. That's when it starts leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Hey Ruger! I would gladly pay a couple hundred dollars more for something I could actualy take home and shoot. Something that parts did not fly off of.

Rant off, I feel better now. Hopefully it comes back fixed.

cgb

Bearcat
Well, I got it back today. 8 weeks total time out. Ruger fixed all the problems I complained about. Their customer service was professional and curtious. I shot it, and with Hornady V-Max 22 Mag it prints under an inch from a rest at 25 feet. 22lr is a little bigger. I put 100 rounds of 22mag and 400 rounds of various 22lr through it. Not one problem, but it is awful dirty now. I bought it to shoot squirrels offhand at 50 yards or less, so it should be perfect for that. Now, it's off to blast some critters.