New Single Six Cylinder Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

smarley

Bearcat
Hi all,

New to the forum and I thought I would ask a question of the group.

I have owned a SS 4-5/8" New Model Single Six for a year now and just the other day I picked up a blued 6-1/2" New Model to keep it company (1973 vintage).

Both are "New Model Single Six" guns and yet the cylinders (22LR vs 22LR) are not interchangeable. In fact, the wratcheting mechanism on the cylinders is not at all the same and if I place the stainless cylinder into the blued gun, the pawl doesn't even make contact. The cylinder just spins freely.

In looking at the Ruger website, they seem to treat all New Model Single Sixes as one model with slight variations (fixed/adjustable sites, Bisley etc). They don't mention cylinder/pawl differences at all.

Does anyone know if the early New Model SS's used a different cylinder?

Attached is a picture of both the newer stainless 22LR and the older blued 22LR cylinders. As you can see, there are subtle differences in the dimensions of the teeth (wider on the stainless) as well as the diameter of the center section (narrower on the stainless).

Note: All cylinders match the associated gun (serial numbers).

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Best,

Marley

DSC_0002.jpg
[/img]

A

Anonymous

Yup, I lucked out and found a drop in mag cylinder for mine courtesy of a RugerForum member in the classifieds.

But that was blind luck as I didn't even measure mine ... most need fitting.

A

Anonymous

Mine is 80's vintage and looks like it uses the old model cylinders. *edit* (oops, meant new model)
I can see the obvious differences in the pic now like the groove inside the outer the rim of the old model cylinder etc.
Thanks, Flatgate ... good info to know.

I have an OM and a NM and have one .22LR cylinder that works in both. I did have to shim the cylinder bushing for use in the NM but other than that it functions in both. The cylinder you pictured on the left appears to be a magnum cylinder.

jsm190

Bearcat
I bought a convertible used and it had a mag cylinder from a different gun. If I put it in and open the gate it does not click and lock (you can spin it both directions) but other than that it does lock up and shoots fine when you cock the gun.

yes, there are overall length differences over the years, even between the old models,,,they do NOT always "drop in" yes, sometimes we get lucky and others you will NOT...................barrel set backs come into play also........

A

Anonymous

rugerguy":izfp87yw said:
yes, there are overall length differences over the years, even between the old models,,,they do NOT always "drop in" yes, sometimes we get lucky and others you will NOT...................barrel set backs come into play also........

Yup thanks the forum here I found out how to check the cylinder gap, forcing cone, and make sure the chambers were indexing properly on the very lucky drop in mag cylinder I found.
I did, however function check every chamber in the cylinder in it by clamping it in a gun vice, and using about 7 yards of thin nylon cord to pull the trigger with.
:lol:

Yup, I'm a wuss.