New single action from Taurus . . . the Deputy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm not convinced. Made by Taurus, same company as Heritage, and I am not a Heritage fan. I have not had one in the shop to compare so maybe my attitude will change

I read the article too, wondering how glowing they would be, reviewing a product from an advertiser.

Yes, I am leery of Taurus and Rossi.

In fairness, I've shot some very decent Taurus products, as recently as this week. But I've also handled some real pigs.

That's the problem... Are ya feeling lucky?

Cholo

Staff member
I didn't read anything bad about it. If I wanted a fully blued fixed sight single action I'd spring more and go for an older Ruger Vaquero.

Too many non traditional to downright ugly features on the Taurus, kinda Heritage looking. I'd rather have a case colored Cimarron Model P for not a whole lot more $.

It's hard to believe this pic is on their website with the poor grip frame fit, but might have been a fluke.

1718483989055.png

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
Y'all need to sign up over on singleactions.com post haste!...And, join the biggest gaggle of Gun Snob's on the inter-web. 😁

I've owned a bunch of these inferior Taurus/Heritage firearms, and have yet to have any major issues with any...Perhaps I'm just lucky?

Purty? Nope. But, it's one of my most accurate. 22 LR/Mag Single Actions...And, it's a 9 shooter!
20240615_183329.jpg

Purdy? Mmmm, kind of...Definitely quite accurate, AND, a hoot to shoot! 😉
20240406_172148.jpg

This TX-22 is currently my favorite .22 pistol. Several other of my "superior" brands are gathering dust since it's recent purchase...
20240414_114802.jpg
As far as the Deputy goes, I definitely don't NEED one. But, I'd be plenty willing to play around with one before passing judgment on it...😉

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Gee,,,, I'm a bit surprised to be called; "biggest gaggle of Gun Snob's on the inter-web." since I'm a member there as well as here.
But hey,, I can handle it with grace & a smile. :D

Now,, as to this new offering by Taurus.
I will preclude my comments by saying I'm good friends with K.C. Eusebio & Jesse Harrison,, who recently won top honors at the World Speed Shooting competition. (K.C. won division and overall for the 11th time, Jessie won Ladies, for the 17th time,) and are sponsored Taurus shooters. So I am familiar with Taurus & some of their people.
Plus,, I've handled, shot & studied several of their firearms over the decades.

From my PERSONAL viewpoint,, QC, and customer service can be very "hit or miss" with the company overall. I've seen several guns from them do just fine. And yet,, I've also seen brand new ones not even function. In my position of working on a FoNRA committee,,, we've had a lot of them be part of the guns we got in to use at a fundraiser. Sadly,, we've had to send back brand new guns because of function issues. And we have a gunsmith member here who had to wait over a year for them to replace a bad revolver.

Being open minded,, (and trying not to be a gun snob, :D ) I will reserve my judgement & await my own handling & study of this model before I make any comments,, good or bad.

But as a FoNRA committee volunteer,, we've had suspend receiving ANY Taurus models due to unhappy results by our inspections, and a few that got into the hands of supporters.

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
Gee,,,, I'm a bit surprised to be called; "biggest gaggle of Gun Snob's on the inter-web." since I'm a member there as well as here.
But hey,, I can handle it with grace & a smile. :D

Now,, as to this new offering by Taurus.
I will preclude my comments by saying I'm good friends with K.C. Eusebio & Jesse Harrison,, who recently won top honors at the World Speed Shooting competition. (K.C. won division and overall for the 11th time, Jessie won Ladies, for the 17th time,) and are sponsored Taurus shooters. So I am familiar with Taurus & some of their people.
Plus,, I've handled, shot & studied several of their firearms over the decades.

From my PERSONAL viewpoint,, QC, and customer service can be very "hit or miss" with the company overall. I've seen several guns from them do just fine. And yet,, I've also seen brand new ones not even function. In my position of working on a FoNRA committee,,, we've had a lot of them be part of the guns we got in to use at a fundraiser. Sadly,, we've had to send back brand new guns because of function issues. And we have a gunsmith member here who had to wait over a year for them to replace a bad revolver.

Being open minded,, (and trying not to be a gun snob, :D ) I will reserve my judgement & await my own handling & study of this model before I make any comments,, good or bad.

But as a FoNRA committee volunteer,, we've had suspend receiving ANY Taurus models due to unhappy results by our inspections, and a few that got into the hands of supporters.
Not meant as an insult Ty, I too have been a member on that forum longer than any other that I've joined...Most over there would undoubtedly wear the Gun Snob moniker as a badge of honor IMO...I'm just not one myself...😉

Now, as far as the NRA and Taurus products are concerned, they've been unabashedly giving Taurus/Heritage products glowing reviews in their magazines, websites and also on the TV show for some time now, so...

And, the fact of the matter is that Taurus has most definitely had some quality issues in the past, but have REALLY upped their game in recent years...And is producing some much higher quality offerings for the money nowadays, as I've seen and heard numerous reviewers mention, and have also experienced first hand myself.

Last edited:
I didn't read anything bad about it. If I wanted a fully blued fixed sight single action I'd spring more and go for an older Ruger Vaquero.

Too many non traditional to downright ugly features on the Taurus, kinda Heritage looking. I'd rather have a case colored Cimarron Model P for not a whole lot more $.

It's hard to believe this pic is on their website with the poor grip frame fit, but might have been a fluke.

View attachment 47936
My thoughts exactly.
I would much rather have a Cimarron.
And I have asked this before, when was the last time you read a bad review in a gun magazine? Just curious.

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
My 2 cents - I have experience with 4 Heritage 22 revolvers. 3 are fine, shoot straight, seem well built. The 4th one suffers from grip frame misalignment so bad that I get light strikes due to the hammer losing speed when rubbing the frame. Probably should've looked closer when I picked it up, but I consider it tuition toward my future gunsmithing education, so all is not lost.

contender

Ruger Guru
BULL'S-EYE,, I took it as you meant. I know you are over there. All good!

Due to trying to have people enjoy what they get from us at our FoNRA event,, and the number of new guns we had to return to Taurus,, we just decided to stop getting any of them,, unless someone donated one. Too many issues to name here,, but overall, not worth the trouble.
And yes,, I've had some & shot some that were trouble free. But,, as I said,, "Hit or miss" when it comes to quality. I'll just reserve my thoughts until I actually handle & shoot one before I make any direct comments about this new SA handgun.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I had a Taurus PT-145 semi auto years ago. I loved it cause it felt good and looked good. Unfortunately, it had three mechanical failures over the ten years that I owned it... I found that Taurus customer service was terrible at the time, but I kept paying out to keep it running until the trigger group just collapsed. I paid the price for Taurus to repair it and then I traded it in for something (?) that I probably still have. Hard to believe, but, that Taurus was the only gun that actually "broke" on me (full disclosure: most of my guns are not subject to hard use or abuse, but neither was that Taurus). As much as I would like to try out one of their new offerings, that experience left such a bad taste in my mouth, I've sworn off Taurus.
J.

Latest posts