New sheath for an old classic

Help Support Ruger Forum:

countryboy

Single-Sixer
I got this old Western W49 bowie off ebay last year and finally got a sheath made for it. I took some pictures and thought I'd post them.

I really like this old knife and I believe is was made in 1984. They don't make them anymore. I'm not sure what kind of steel it is but it is high carbon. When I first got it, it was dull but sharpened up pretty easy. There were a couple of scratches on the blade and a small scratch on the handle but otherwise, it's in great shape. I used vinegar to put a patina on the blade which looks better than the scratches.

The sheath is a dangler style and it uses a Pull The Dot snap loop for belt attachment. It has a stainless D ring and the snap loop can be removed for standard style belt carry. The factory sheath had a collar that snapped around the handle but I have never cared much for those on a sheath for fear of cutting them since the blade passes through them. While it can easily be removed, I added a simple leather tie to replace this collar and to help keep the handle closer against the sheath. The way I have it tied, you can easily pull one end to untie it. It uses a strap and snap over the guard for retention and has a loop sewn in for a firesteel. Because this knife is so large, I also added a leg tie. I usually seal all my leather products with an acrylic finish to protect them but I decided to leave this sheath natural and just added a couple of light coats of neatsfoot oil. With a little age this sheath should look a little more rustic which is what I wanted. I think as the leather naturally darkens over time it wiil be more fitting for this knife.

2s9y528.jpg

9stfld.jpg

2vk16j6.jpg

wtddh2.jpg

Close up of the edge. Thick welted seam burnished with beeswax.
1zdkw2.jpg

2lm1jqb.jpg

No-1

Single-Sixer
Great work - I really like the notch to hold the strap out of the way.

Marshal Too Sweet

Single-Sixer
Very nice work, I like the finish on the blade. I remember K-mart used to sell this knife with the sheath when I was a kid for $24.99. I always wanted one but that was BIG money them. I told a friend about these a few years back and talked about wanting one, hadn't seen one in years. The next time we got together he handed me a bag, in it was the knife complete with sheath. He said he had purchased it at K-mart many years ago. It was never carried or sharpened, gave him a penny and the knife was mine.

Now if he would come up with the Colt SAA .45 colt, 7.5" nickel plated revolver that was at our other local variety store when I was a kid, I would be all set. I remember going in and looking at it every time we were in town, for over two years. The price $249.95, that I will never forget !

Ethang

Blackhawk
I really like that knife. Growing up watching the Alamo I have always liked Bowie knives and this one looks really great. You did a good job with that finish.

stevemb

Hunter
I'm glad this blade was rescued by someone that appreciates it. I remember an article I read many yrs ago about making this knife more "combat ready". They lowered the line of the point a bit by careful filing, then trimmed down the guard some. The consensus was that this was an exceptional blade for the buck. A good camp knife, or even a survival knife. stevemb

countryboy

Single-Sixer
I believe I saw some pictures of one that had been modified. It looked pretty good but I'm going to leave mine as is. It seems to be a well built knife and took a great edge. I like the old timey look of it.