"New" Security Six'es

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Scotsman1886

Bearcat
Ok now that I know how. Here are my two new revolvers.

Security Six, fist year of production, 2 3/4"bbl, fixxed sights, square but in 38 Special.

112049.jpg

Late model stainless Security Six, 2 3/4" bbl 357, target grips.

112052.jpg

Got them both at once, $325 n $375 respectfully.

Bearcat

Blackhawk
One of the best values in smooth, DA revolvers out there. I just wish I had a bigger gunsafe.....I'd have a bushel of them if I could store them.

--Doc

Emaho

Bearcat
Ooooooooooo!!! Ooooooooooo!!! and Oooooooooo again. I am so jealous! Congrats on two fine guns. I love my SS 4" .38!!!

resident

Single-Sixer
I don't believe those are two Security Six revolvers... The first one is a Service Six...the second is a Security Six.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
WAYNO said:
Grasshoppers!

The early Security Sixes were available in fixed, or adjustable sights.

It was a little later that Ruger changed the name on the fixed sight model to Service Six.

WAYNO.

Correct. You have to look at the production number and frame stamp.

God went to a great party (and was in a good mood) the night before Bill Ruger's team designed the Security/Speed/Service Sixes.

Dave

A

Anonymous

My new to me Stainless S6 looks identical to yours except mine has a six inch barrel, same red insert front sight and stocks. 8)
But good grief is mine accurate! I bet if I were younger (66) and didn't have the shakes, I swear I could put every round into one hole at 30 feet. 8)

RonS

Single-Sixer
I wish I knew more about why they were discontinued. Bill Ruger said something about it in an interview in the Man and His Guns book, but it wasn't very clear what he was talking about. Love to have a nice 6" someday.

COR

Blackhawk
Here's one with a T Grip. That's Donovan in the background. This is a great gun and a joy with some 38's...I love mine

P1010685.jpg

wproct

Single-Sixer
RonS said:
I wish I knew more about why they were discontinued. Bill Ruger said something about it in an interview in the Man and His Guns book, but it wasn't very clear what he was talking about. Love to have a nice 6" someday.

I once read in a magazine article that Bill said that they had a lot of trouble manufacturing the frames on the security sixes. He said that the repositioning of the ejector rod on the GP100 solved that problem??? Again, he didn't go into greater detail in this article. He would have been such an interesting man to be able to visit with!

Hugh

Buckeye
resident said:
I don't believe those are two Security Six revolvers... The first one is a Service Six...the second is a Security Six.

If I recall correctly the very early Security Sixes came with fixed sights, and some with adjustable sights. Ruger was going to go after the police market and called the one with fixed sights Police Service Six, likewise the round butt Speed Six, and the one with adjustable sights remained the Security Six.

By the way, very nice Sixes. I like them both.

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes...all of Ruger's DA's were marked "Security-Six", adj. sights or fixed sights up until the late 150- prefix when they decided to rollmark the fixed sight/square butt gun with "Service-Six". It happened about the same time Ruger changed the grip frame profile.
Chet15

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
I love Security-Six line of revolvers. I currently have three. A blued 6" (150 prefix). A stainless 4" (154 prefix) and will soon have a blued 4" (150 prefix).

I wish they had been available in more calibers.... .41 mag for instance. I think the Security-Six is a better platform for a full-size .327 Fed Mag than the GP-100.