NEW Scout Rifle Polymer Mags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roashooter

Single-Sixer
deadduck357 said:
roashooter said:
And just for curiosity...is it all possible...being that the magazines are poly...can a round be "snapped" in to top off the 3 & 5 round mags...without having to drop them to do so?

OK, yes they can be top-loaded, they were not intended to but you can. But in doing so can/could wear out the feed lips and shorten mag life.

well...I just watched a video put out by Ruger...on the Ruger web site....and the Ruger rep...stated the new Poly Mags were designed to be topped off while still in the rifle.....so I guess that means they were intended to.....

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
roashooter said:
deadduck357 said:
roashooter said:
And just for curiosity...is it all possible...being that the magazines are poly...can a round be "snapped" in to top off the 3 & 5 round mags...without having to drop them to do so?

OK, yes they can be top-loaded, they were not intended to but you can. But in doing so can/could wear out the feed lips and shorten mag life.

well...I just watched a video put out by Ruger...on the Ruger web site....and the Ruger rep...stated the new Poly Mags were designed to be topped off while still in the rifle.....so I guess that means they were intended to.....

Just mentioning what was told to me. Watched both Ruger vids and they said that you "can" top-load, didn't "state they were designed to top-load".....

roashooter

Single-Sixer
deadduck357 said:
roashooter said:
deadduck357 said:

Just mentioning what was told to me. Watched both Ruger vids and they said that you "can" top-load, didn't "state they were designed to top-load".....

Watching the Ruger vids. ..again...the Ruger rep makes the comment that the Poly Mags were "Improved"..over the metal mags...which allows them to be "top-loaded" as you point out...however....where in the vids did it say...."in doing so...can/could wear out the feed lips and shorten mag life"??..... seems you are reaching a bit...in your statement....that Ruger did not "design in the top-load capability"

rangerbob

Buckeye
OK, you can load them from the top! Why would one need or want to? That's the whole idea of detachable mags and spare mags. I do know that they are very hard to top load if one has a low mounted scope in the way. and if one has a few 10 round mags, one can do just about all that can be done with a bolt action rifle. If one needs more, that's what they make M1A's and AR-10's for. So I say top load if you feel the need or swap mags like I do. Either way, the GSR is a hoot. Bob! :wink:

roashooter

Single-Sixer
rangerbob....I agree with you if you need more than ten rounds..I rather use my M1a...but one point of contention...from the beginning...by several others...including myself..was the fact that it was "Necessary" to pull the mag to top off. My own experince with the CZ line of rifles...which share the same type(single stack) magazine...which had the same requirement of pulling to topoff/reload...was not convient as the topload capabilities of the blind/internal magazines...Ruger has used from the beginning. As many others have stated...it would have been an advantage if Ruger could have designed the GSR to be M14 mag friendly...which would have given the rifle the low profile five round...for hunting....and the ten and twenty round mags for .....well ..whatever that many rounds were needed for........and all....were "topload" friendly.
The features the GSR offer are very attractive....except for the need to pull the mag to reload/topoff....and from the various reports on the new Poly mags....sure seem directed at resolving the mag issues....and I believe this will make the GSR even more attractive as an "all around utility rifle"......as for "needs or wants"....having no need to pull a mag to topoff/reload....is all subjective to the needs and wants of each user...not how some indiviiduals personal opinons matter.
As far as the "difficulty" of topping off ...with a low mounted scope...how have we managed to do so..with the Ruger 77s all these years?
I think many will look forward to just using the three round mag...for its sleeker...low profile...out of the way..package it offers.....and if your hunting....is three rounds not enough....
And in all honesty...if "needs" are going to be a point....why does any of us "NEED" a ten round/removable magazine bolt action rifle?????

Joe S.

Hunter
My 10 and 3 rounders made it. In and out easily. Love em. Quieter and lower profile than the metal mag. Very pleased.

rangerbob

Buckeye
roashooter, I totally agree with what you are saying. I could have lived with the GSR if it had a fixed 5 round internal mag and loaded with stripper clips or individual rounds. As you noted, I've said all along that the M14 mag would have been the way to go. But we have what we have, I can live with that! Bob :wink:

deadduck357

Single-Sixer

rangerbob

Buckeye
BTW, MidwayUSA, now has the polymer mags in stock. I found them under the "new" listing under gun parts. Good folks to do business with. Bob! 8)