NEW Scout Rifle Polymer Mags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
A couple weeks back Ruger sent me their new polymer Scout Rifle magazines for testing.
SR-GSRpoly4.jpg

Available with 3, 5 or 10 round capacity. They are constructed of durable glass-filled nylon.

-----
Magazine weight w/dust cover:

3 rd: 2.3 oz.
5 rd: 2.7 oz.
10 rd: 3.5 oz.

-----

A snap-on dust cover is included which helps keep the magazine internals clean and allows long-term storage of the magazine while loaded.
SR-GSRpoly6.jpg

Disassembly was quick and painless.
SR-GSRpoly10.jpg

Field-tested:

First thing done was to function test each magazine; I cycled each full magazine twice. Then me and a cohort gathered up some spare .308 ammo and headed to the range.
SR-GSRpoly11.jpg

Loaded 10 rd mag. seated
SR-GSRpoly12.jpg

SR-GSRpoly16.jpg

This was not an accuracy test, it was a function test. Through 70 rounds fired all three mags fed without a problem. I have to mention though - the 3 and 5 rounders took some serious muscle to lock-in. They seem to be designed and built well.

rangerbob

Buckeye
It appears that the 3 round will seat flush, is that correct? The sku's for the mags are as follows: 3 rd=90374, 5 rd=90354, and 10 rd=90355. One of my distributors has them listed, but, of course, don't have any in stock. This is not surprising, since they have never had any of the steel mags either. BTW, dealer cost on these is under $25, IF THEY HAD ANY! Bob :?

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
rangerbob said:
It appears that the 3 round will seat flush, is that correct? The sku's for the mags are as follows: 3 rd=90374, 5 rd=90354, and 10 rd=90355. One of my distributors has them listed, but, of course, don't have any in stock. This is not surprising, since they have never had any of the steel mags either. BTW, dealer cost on these is under $25, IF THEY HAD ANY! Bob :?

There is a pic with the 3 rounder inserted on the full review - http://lead-slinger.com/ruger-scout-rifle-polymer-magazine

Ruger has them listed - http://shopruger.com/New-Items/products/560/

Joe S.

Hunter
just ordered a 3 and 10 rounder! i wish the 10 rounder was lower profile, but there probably isnt room in the mag well to make em double stack. it does seem a little more sleek.
cant wait for em to arrive. thanks for the report.

Joe S.

Hunter
do they seem as sturdy as say a p-mag? i hate that clunky metal thing and the price is RIGHT!!

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Joe S. said:
do they seem as sturdy as say a p-mag? i hate that clunky metal thing and the price is RIGHT!!

Thats hard to tell, I have been using P-mags for years with confidence, just started using these a couple weeks ago and haven't dropped or thrown them around, yet. But they are built well and don't appear to be junk. For the price compared to the metal mags they seem to be a good deal. The metal one should last a life time, these ???, but they do work.

roashooter

Single-Sixer
One concern that pops to mind...is the "the 3 and 5 rounders took some serious muscle to lock in".....which asks the question....are they that hard to get back out??
And just for curiosity...is it all possible...being that the magazines are poly...can a round be "snapped" in to top off the 3 & 5 round mags...without having to drop them to do so?

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
roashooter said:
One concern that pops to mind...is the "the 3 and 5 rounders took some serious muscle to lock in".....which asks the question....are they that hard to get back out??
And just for curiosity...is it all possible...being that the magazines are poly...can a round be "snapped" in to top off the 3 & 5 round mags...without having to drop them to do so?

I haven't tried, but they are single stack mags like the metal one and those cannot be topped-off. They are not hard to release. I have read others that have gotten the 3 and 5 rounders are not having the super tight fit, so maybe its just my rifle or mags, they both are early versions.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I got in a 3 and a 5 round mag today. MY distributor had over 200 of them yesterday,including the 10 rd polymer mags. I was surprised(read shocked) they came out so quickly. I suspect the metal mags will fade away, never any to buy anyway. I wish Ruger had had these out when they introduced the rifle. Now there's no reason no to ship 2 with the rifle. Bob 8)

roashooter

Single-Sixer
rangerbob........if you get a chance.....will you see if the 3&5 polymags will "topoff" when in the rifle. I read another review..."libertytreeblog"....and the writer claimed that Ruger was aware of the customers wanting the ability to topoff...and his review of the new mags....stated that they were modified by Ruger to take rounds thorugh the open reciever.....sure hope this is true!!

rangerbob

Buckeye
roashooter, I checked both of my mags and one can reload them while in the rifle, I, however would not practice this because it puts a strain on the mag release and why not just pop the mag out and load it. The polymer is plyable enough for the lips to spread apart to load from the top, but they load so much easier loading from front to back. Mine loaded easily and entered and ejected from my rifle easily. The snap on covers are a nice touch and should keep a loaded mag free of debris in a pocket. The mags weigh hardly more than the ammo, the 3 rounder is about the size of a small cell phone. Altogether, they are a neat package. Bob! :D

HiVel

Bearcat
Got my 5 and 10 rounders today-they load easily but have not tried them under fire yet.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
roashooter said:

OK, yes they can be top-loaded, they were not intended to but you can. But in doing so can/could wear out the feed lips and shorten mag life.