New Ruger Tactical 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MFD

Bearcat
Local dealer just got in today one of the new Ruger 10/22-AR15 variants.
Gave it a close look see and it appears to be well put together. Heavy/varmint type barrel visible through ventilated aluminum round hadguard(don't believe one is going to heat up the barrel on a 22LR!) Hogue molded pistol grip, 5 position butt stock, Ruger std. type flash hider(would not want to be blinded by that "ball of fire") solid looking Picitinny rail and handguard is drilled and apparently you could add rails there as well. Finish is dark black, matte type and overall is somewhat unusual, but would not be suprised that they sell quickly. Did note that the magazine did not want to come out very easily and had a bit of a problem pulling it out?? Perhaps with use this would smoot out. One of those billet aluminum 25rnd magazines would add a lot of fun shooting and give it a very serious appearance. Price on the rifle was listed @ $500.00
Doubt one would have any function problems with it, but don't know about accuracy?? Anyone else seen and handled one yet??

martin

wwb

Hunter
Only seen pictures so far....ain't seen or touched the real thing yet.

"Lipstick on a pig" comes readily to mind, though. If you're gonna make it look like an AR, for Pete's sake, make it work like an AR.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.... or, in this case, a 10/22.

Edit.... forgot to add - doesn't this belong in the rimfire category?

MFD

Bearcat
Well, I see your point, but if you want a real AR15/22LR and one that feeds properly and shoots match level accuracy, the cost is something near 1100.00(upper only) from Compass Lake Engineering. Others out there make them, but the CLE upper is the real deal and only negative is the cost. I like Rugers and most likely will end up with one sometime in the future.

martin

rgwarren

Bearcat
This is the Ruger SR-22.. I have one and love it.. It is accurate and no malfunctions so far. I equipted mine with a Sight Mark red dot and 30 round Butler Creek mag.. It could use a better trigger. I have a kit ordered to replace mine..

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
MFD":2wkaxa28 said:
Well, I see your point, but if you want a real AR15/22LR and one that feeds properly and shoots match level accuracy, the cost is something near 1100.00(upper only) from Compass Lake Engineering. Others out there make them, but the CLE upper is the real deal and only negative is the cost. I like Rugers and most likely will end up with one sometime in the future.

martin

:roll: There are others that make them as good (or better) than Compass Lake. In fact, I seldom see Compass Lake mentioned when reading discussions about dedicated 22LR AR15 uppers.

MFD

Bearcat
Reason I mentioned CLE is that lots of competetive shooters us their gear for NM AR15 HighPower matches and will also use the CLE 22lr upper to practice with in the off season. You are correct not much mention of them in "the press" but they are a top drawer builder and highly regarded by those who use CLE equipment. They are a bit on the pricey side, but what isn't anymore?? Retail of 600.00 for Ruger 10/22 "tactical" is a bit on the pricey side as well, but tactical sells these days.

Snake45

Hawkeye
MFD":213wvrh8 said:
(don't believe one is going to heat up the barrel on a 22LR!)

martin
Really? I've got about a dozen hi-cap 10/22 mags and I like to load them all up and bust off 300 rounds in a row, at about one second per round. I don't think you'd like to try holding my barrel with your bare hand for 10 seconds after that! :wink:

MFD

Bearcat
You have a point there, believe that is what is called "spray and pray" and that may well heat up the barrel. Never tried shooting a 22 like that, but may give it a try someday.

Snake45

Hawkeye
MFD":3vg7dwax said:
You have a point there, believe that is what is called "spray and pray"...
You are incorrect, sir. Every single one of those shots is carefully aimed, and hits its target. "Spray and pray," as I understand it, is something very different.

Snake45

Hawkeye
MFD":1acqm352 said:
Well, must say, that's some fine shooting.
Thanks for the kind words, but it's not fine, merely adequate.

If you work at it long enough and hard enough, it doesn't take long to get a good sight picture and press the trigger quickly yet cleanly. As I said, at the moment I've got it down to about one second, or a hair less, from a solid sitting position.

MFD

Bearcat
Since you enjoy action shooting, you might want to check out some local clubs that host Across The Course High Power matches which will definitely hone your skills in all positions at various ranges, 200 to 600yds, slow fire and rapid fire. Good training and challenging to most, but if you have done so you will know what I mean. Fortunately, I think we are the only Nation that such shooting activity is practiced, and again, excellent method of becoming even more skilled with firearms.

Snake45

Hawkeye
There's nothing like that available in my area, and even if it were, I couldn't afford to shoot centerfire. That's why I shoot so much .22. I try to do the best I can with what I have to work with.

MFD

Bearcat
Hey, not a thing wrong with what you are doing and all of us should be very thankfull of the folks at Smith and Wesson for devloping the amazing 22 rimfire cartridge so many years ago. Can't imagine how very many folks would have learned/enjoyed shooting without the cartridge. In my area, even Walmart runs out of 22 ammo sometimes, so there are a lot of people using it. Take care,

martin

I don't see my "goofy" SR-22 as "tactical". I see my "goofy" SR-22 as very handy.

As a Sage Rat shooter, the collapsible stock is very handy, in and out from behind the seat of my pickup. The short barrel is handy, for the same reason. The flash-suppressor may not suppress much flash, but it sure does protect the barrel crown. The tubular hand-guard is really nice for resting on fenceposts or bracing against trees, without putting any pressure on the barrel or marring a conventional stock. And the grip? When bracing the gun on make-shift rests, like fences, the pistol grip affords a very natural and comfortable position for squeezing the trigger.

Everybody's got their own ideas.

WAYNO.

Snake45

Hawkeye
WAYNO":3avyyhmm said:
I don't see my "goofy" SR-22 as "tactical". I see my "goofy" SR-22 as very handy.

As a Sage Rat shooter, the collapsible stock is very handy, in and out from behind the seat of my pickup. The short barrel is handy, for the same reason. The flash-suppressor may not suppress much flash, but it sure does protect the barrel crown. The tubular hand-guard is really nice for resting on fenceposts or bracing against trees, without putting any pressure on the barrel or marring a conventional stock. And the grip? When bracing the gun on make-shift rests, like fences, the pistol grip affords a very natural and comfortable position for squeezing the trigger.

Everybody's got their own ideas.

WAYNO.
You like the gun on its own, for its own features. Nothing wrong with that at all.

My disagreement is with people who buy an SR-22, or build up something like it on a 10/22, and think that they now have an AR trainer or simulator. They don't. The two guns operate very differently, and the skill and familiarity you build up with the one system not only does not translate to the other, it can actually be damaging to your skill with the other.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
MFD":ycw9vcdg said:
Reason I mentioned CLE is that lots of competetive shooters us their gear for NM AR15 HighPower matches and will also use the CLE 22lr upper to practice with in the off season. You are correct not much mention of them in "the press" but they are a top drawer builder and highly regarded by those who use CLE equipment...

I'm not talking about the "press" (whatever that is) but rather AR discussion boards where I just don't see anything about them.

MFD

Bearcat
The fact that you don't see/read about them on so called boards is not unusual for those who use them will likely not be participating on those sites. Firm is small family affair and dedicated to match grade AR15's catering to those who compete at Camp Perry National Matches as well as regional/local XC matches. CLE's competitors would be Rock River, Bushmaster, and Armalite w/ their National Match AR15's. All are fine match rifles if configured as National Match, but these type of 15's are not sought after by most for they will weigh some 12-16lbs in weight and equpped w/ metalic/service rifle sights only. Preferred barrels are Krieger or Douglas and on the heavy side as well.
One other mfg. of high end NM grade 15's that would be on par w/ CLE is Fulton Armory out of Savage, MD. and as you point out, don't see much about them on various sites or internet postings, but they are definitely a player. CLE and Fulton Armory will/do std. 15's, tactical types, etc., for that is a huge market, but they are best known for their match grade versions of the 15. For those who compete w/ the 15 would be very familiar w/ either mfg. for they are highly regarded, but pricey as well. Might want to take a look at both firms web sites for lots of good info there as well.

martin

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
MFD":my8fmtvb said:
The fact that you don't see/read about them on so called boards is not unusual for those who use them will likely not be participating on those sites. Firm is small family affair and dedicated to match grade AR15's catering to those who compete at Camp Perry National Matches as well as regional/local XC matches. CLE's competitors would be Rock River, Bushmaster, and Armalite w/ their National Match AR15's. All are fine match rifles if configured as National Match, but these type of 15's are not sought after by most for they will weigh some 12-16lbs in weight and equpped w/ metalic/service rifle sights only. Preferred barrels are Krieger or Douglas and on the heavy side as well.
One other mfg. of high end NM grade 15's that would be on par w/ CLE is Fulton Armory out of Savage, MD. and as you point out, don't see much about them on various sites or internet postings, but they are definitely a player. CLE and Fulton Armory will/do std. 15's, tactical types, etc., for that is a huge market, but they are best known for their match grade versions of the 15. For those who compete w/ the 15 would be very familiar w/ either mfg. for they are highly regarded, but pricey as well. Might want to take a look at both firms web sites for lots of good info there as well.

martin

They are the best (and used by the best) but nobody talks about them. I see now ! :wink: