New Ruger SR-556cla - Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SirJOW

Bearcat
Okay, I just posted my intro and am new to this forum. The SR-556cla that I purchased about a month ago is my first rifle and have several questions/concerns that I could use some help with.

1st of all I am a beginner, so a lot of the problem may be me. I have been to he rifle range on 3 occasions now and have run through a total of 300 rounds. I cleaned the rifle after the 1st 100 rounds and after the last outing where I went through 120 (total of 200 between cleanings.)

I am burning through 1,000 rounds of PMC X-TAC 5.56 NATO LAP 62gr. (green tips)

Anyway, the range I am going to only allows me to shoot from the bench position and early on I realized I needed a way to take a consistent shot. The range has 25, 50, and 100 yard targets. I have accessorized my gun as follows:

1. FAB Defense - T-POD G2 which combines a foregrip with a bipod (This I believe would give me a way to take a consistent shot)
2. NcSTAR Mark III Mil-Dot Scope with 3-9 magnification (As a beginner I am not yet ready to drop coin on better optics.)

Anyway, to my questions/concerns:

1. I zeroed my Samson Iron Sights (which are OEM for the rifle today) at 25 yards. I noticed that my rear sight is nearly all the way to the right and this does not seem right. I recently realized I should be zeroing at 50 yards but have not gotten around to doing that. My concern is that it doesn't make sense to me that the rear sight would need to be adjusted all the way to the right even at 25 yards?!
2. Along the same lines, I zeroed my scope at 100 yards and again it virtually needs to be to the near extreme right position to zero
3. My grouping is wild at 25-100 yards. Obviously less so at shorter distances than longer ones. Everything is on paper, but it just seems like things should be a lot closer and more accurate.
4. Cleaning - I have been getting what I consider (in my inexperience) a lot of carbon build-up in the piston and regulator of the gas chamber and the face of the bolt carrier assembly. I have been using break free from the Ruger rifle cleaning kit to try to clean with not much success after significant elbow grease. It seems like I should be able to soak these parts in something that will disolve and clean-off. After reading a few forums online it looks like Slip-2000 Carbon Killer might do the trick. Some concerns: Does something like this damage the black finish on the regulator knob? Would it destroy the golden Ruger logo on the bolt carrier assembly?

Some possible relevant facts about me?
1. I am left eye dominant and am shooting from my right hand with my right eye. Left hand does not feel natural (don't know if this plays a roll.) Obviously if I were shooting a pistol I would use my left eye.
2. I understand that cheek weld is important and I am trying my best to hold it consistent.

Thanks for any help or comments on the above. I'm sure at least half of the problem is me, but I'm just concerned with the zeroing of the scope and BUIS being to the near extreme right of the adjustment there may be something wrong with this rifle. I bought it new from Buds Gun Shop in case that helps.

SirJOW

Pal Val

Buckeye
Welcome to the forum! Has anyone else fired that rifle? If you have not had instruction, your results could be caused more by faults in your shooting technique than of the rifle itself. Anyway, you are still "breaking-in" that rifle. It should group OK after few hundred rounds. I normally give a new barrel a run with a bore snake after every 5 rounds for the first 100 rounds, as part of my break-in routine. It's perhaps a bit excessive, but it works for me.
BTW, a .223 rifle should be zeroed at a minimum 100 yds. I prefer a 200 yard zero myself, but that's personal preference. Try the 100 yards zero for your iron sights, too, and see what results you can get.

SirJOW

Bearcat
Thanks for your response!

No one else has fired my rifle and no, I have not had instruction. I'll work on the zero next time.

I'm most interested in knowing if a zero on a rifle is acceptable at the far left or right of the rear sight.

Pal Val

Buckeye
In short, zero found at the far ends of the adjustment is unusual, but if it puts the point of impact in the right place, it's acceptable.

At this stage of the game, you can profit from some instruction, and by having a more experienced shooter check your zero. There is a variety of factors that could be at play here. I should add that if you're "on paper" at 100 yards, you're in the right track. You're shooting a rifle of a design that's a proven winner for learning how to shoot. more than half a century in the military inventory attests to that.

black029

Single-Sixer
Does your front sight blade seem centered? If its off, it stands to reason the rear sight might have to overcompensate. I doubt your rails are off, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Latest posts