New Ruger SR-22. Need advice.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Big Larry

Bearcat
Just bought a SR-22 and am wondering how high of bases and rings I should buy for it? Xtra high, high, medium, low???? I am going to use a 1" scope of some brand. Will mostly be fired at 50 to 100 yards. Thanks, Big Larry :lol:

Big Larry":2i3pey24 said:
Just bought a SR-22 and am wondering how high of bases and rings I should buy for it? Xtra high, high, medium, low???? I am going to use a 1" scope of some brand. Will mostly be fired at 50 to 100 yards. Thanks, Big Larry :lol:

You will need a base adapter, to get the scope high enough.

I started with high rings, then extra high, and they were still too low. So I put the adapters in, and it's marginally high enough, now. There are also adapters with the rings built in. In any case, it will be slightly expensive, as I learned only from trial and error.

A good measurement, for me, is any combination of rings or adapters that will place the bottom OD of the scope tube, 1-1/4" from the top of the factory rail.

I'll get a picture posted, when I get caught up with my chores.

WAYNO.

Most "Black Rifle" stores will have these. I know Midway should have them, but after searching thru the catalogues of such places, I couldn't find them. Might just have to ask. I found them, cheap, at the last gun show, and paid $26 for the pair. Unfortunately, they're made in China, but everything else I saw was also made in China.

GEDC0288.jpg

GEDC0282.jpg

GEDC0287.jpg

The pictures show the scope really high, but with the straight stock, ya really do need them this high

Snake45

Hawkeye
I'm gonna disagree with the others here. For a good cheek weld, I'd say mount the thing as low as you can get it. Most AR scopes have to be mounted too high because they're all set up to work on the too-high standard system, based on the carry handle. Without that restriction on your SR, you can get it down.

Here's a real AR upper I have with an unusually low mounted scope. Everyone who's shot this rifle has commented on how naturally it mounts, compared to all other ARs they've ever shot.

ARUpper1.jpg

Big Larry

Bearcat
Thanks, but I still do not know what to do? I would rather mount the scope low, but would the adjustment of the scope compensate? I would hate to buy any of this stuff if I don't need it. Thanks, Big Larry

Low might be nice, but if I can't see straight thru the scope, it's not an option.

The stock has no drop. Even with the really high Leupold rings, without the risers, I struggled to be able to see straight thru the scope, without a bunch of facial gyrations and discomfort. If a guys face was much thinner than mine, then it would be less of an issue. Everyone who tried mine out, before the risers, struggled as I did.

WAYNO.

9x19

Hunter
Snake might not have a neck. :D

For me, on a flat-top AR I need a 1/2" riser and high rings to get the proper cheek-weld and still see thru the scope. This arrangement puts the center of the scope a full inch lower than a handle-mounted optic, at least when compared to an A2 upper.

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 with Center Point 4x - 16x 40mm scope
SW1522cp.jpg

Bushmaster M4 ORC with Bushnell 3x - 9x 40mm
BMM4ORC.jpg

On the SR-22 (or Nordic build) I thought I could do without the risers, as the receiver rail has some height b already built in... but it really only brings the rail slightly higher than an A3 (in relation to the stock), so I have the risers on it as well, but I plan to go to a medium ring, as it is just a wee bit higher than the other two.

Nordic 10/22 with a Simmons 1.5x-5x 32mm scope
1022NRsim.jpg

WAYNO":33rtns7w said:
Low might be nice, but if I can't see straight thru the scope, it's not an option.

The stock has no drop. Even with the really high Leupold rings, without the risers, I struggled to be able to see straight thru the scope, without a bunch of facial gyrations and discomfort. If a guys face was much thinner than mine, then it would be less of an issue. Everyone who tried mine out, before the risers, struggled as I did.

WAYNO.

I shot WAYNO's SR-22 before and after the riser installation. They made a world of difference.........

Dave

dacaur

Single-Sixer
I have my red dot mounted straight to the rail and have no problems with it. The only issue is it makes it tough to shoot with earmuffs....

I have moved it to the front of the rail since I took this pic... much better..
sr-221.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
9x19":36qe4lis said:
Snake might not have a neck. :D
Oh, I have a neck. What I don't have is a head as fat as Teddy Kennedy's or Michael Moore's, whom apparently the standard AR-15 sights were designed to accomodate. :wink:

Seriously, with that AR upper I posted above, you lay your cheekbone on the top of a standard AR stock and your eye is perfectly placed in the scope, just like magic. The sight line is about 1/2" or 3/4" lower than AR iron sights.

Big Larry

Bearcat
Thanks guys for all the great info. I think I will just order all the parts and then try them. 120 mile turnaround to Sportsmans Warehouse. Thanks very much for the input. Big Larry

SD Handgunner

Bearcat
I recently built my own home made version of a Ruger SR-22 using a Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit.

I thought with the high rail on the Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit I could eliminate the use of the Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Scope Risers. Well I was wrong, for me to get my cheek low enough on the stock I still had to use the Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Scope Risers.

In the end I have the scope on my home made SR-22 mounted exactly the same way I have the scopes mounted on my 2 AR-15's (a Bushmaster 16" ORC and a DPMS Panther Bull 20). I used the Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Scope Risers (the ones with 2 cap screws on each riser) with Weaver 1" High Extension Quad Lock 4x4 Scope Rings. This combination puts my scope at exactly the right height above the comb of an AR stock for me.

Larry

Big Larry

Bearcat
I ordered a Weaver 3X9 AO rimfire scope with Burris extra high mounts and also the risers. Will just have to wait and see if it works. I also bought a S&W 15-22, but I am putting a EOTEC 552 that a friend gave me on that. It will have to stop snowing here in Cedar City to be able to get to my range and test these carbines out with a few other 22's. Thanks, Big Larry :D

Snake45

Hawkeye
Big Larry":2n99dt2g said:
I ordered a Weaver 3X9 AO rimfire scope with Burris extra high mounts and also the risers. Will just have to wait and see if it works. I also bought a S&W 15-22, but I am putting a EOTEC 552 that a friend gave me on that. It will have to stop snowing here in Cedar City to be able to get to my range and test these carbines out with a few other 22's. Thanks, Big Larry :D
That 3x-9x AO probably has a pretty big objective diameter, so you might well need the extra high rings just to clear that. Bolt that all up, before messing with the riser, and see where that puts your cheek weld and your eye.

I like a rifle stock to hit me just under my cheek bone. Can't STAND one that hits down on my jaw somewhere. I have a couple rifles with peep sights and Monte Carlo stocks intended for scope use, and they feel just about perfect to me.

Big Larry

Bearcat
I bought that scope thinking if it didn't work, I have 30 other 22's it will work on. I really do not have too much experience with modern stuff. I collect Winchester M52's and scope them with period Lyman and Fecker scopes. One size fits all. My M69-A and M72-A both have Baby Redfields on them. Thanks, Big Larry

Now that I kind've know what I'm looking for, this stuff is becoming available to me. I just found this on a local gun-forum, and for twenty bucks, I figured I better buy it. :wink: This one has a full 1" rise, so a feller could get by with lower rings, if preferred.
GEDC0326.jpg

WAYNO.

Big Larry

Bearcat
I took the SR-22 to the range and shot it at 50 yards. I must have had a really bad day as I could not get the carbine to shoot very well. All over the target. It would not group to save its life. Took it home, cleaned it up, and will have it on my table for sale at the upcoming Reno gun show. My old 10-22 will group well at 50 yards as will all my Winchester rifles. I also bought a S&W 15-22 and have yet to test it out. I will use the same scope and maybe get out later today or tomorrow if the weather holds. 1st Ruger I have ever owned that didn't shoot well. By comparison, my old 9 1/2" "Star" Super Single Six will shoot better at 50 yards than did the SR-22. Big Larry