New Ruger SP 101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lkrl

Bearcat
Pretty much new into this sport...used to shoot years ago but nothing to speak of...just bought a new SP 101 in 357mag a few weeks ago to add to my small Ruger collection...man am i impressed with this gun...for a 3" barrel i can shoot 8" groups at 12-15 yards first time out...old eyes and tendinitis from playing drums since the 1950s...anyhow for me i am totally happy and hope to get better groups...no problems shooting 38spl...never tried 357mag as of now.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Congrats on a great gun! I keep going back to mine as well when I am in the shooting mood.

maxpress

Buckeye
really good gun, the 125s arnt bad in .357 but the 158jsp hurt after a box full. if you have never seen great muzzle flash up close then be warned.
i just cant get enough of mine.

mjh

Single-Sixer
I'm still learning mine. With 38 and 38+P its right in the circle.Would not heistate to use as a carry gun with 38+P. Need a lot more range time with the full 357 loads to get a handle on it. Like the Winchester 110's for practice, practice, practice. I'll get there yet. Almost always shoot full load 357 in my other rugers.

maxpress

Buckeye
MJH
dont mean to start a debate but most SDs happen within punching distance or twice that, so i dont think you will miss even with full house loads.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I really like the Hogue grips as well; I ordered off the Ruger on-line shop. Quick delivery, easy to install, and has the Ruger emblem.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Another vote for the Hogue replacement grips. I have them on my SP-101 and find them far more comfortable then the factory grips.

One other low cost "enhancement" to consider; Gemini Custom's "Small Wonder" fiber optic front sight blade. It makes the front sight far easier to see and is very simple to install. Look here:

http://www.geminicustoms.com/classified.htm

mjh

Single-Sixer
maxpress, no debate here, I'm not worried about missing at those ranges either it just nice to keep things in a 4 inch circle or better versus a 1 foot circle with some fliers. With my GP 100 I can keep tigher groups where as my SP in new to me and I need the practice with the heavier loads.

Snobal

Bearcat
Our local gun club has regular Bullseye matches where the only rule after safety is to have fun. :D

Folks bring all sorts of handguns to our matches --- from antiques to modern target pistols.

Mostly I shoot a 6" GP100, one handed, with wadcutters.

I tried shooting the 6" GP100 with both hands at a match last Spring ---- and shot a 100 in the slow fire string of their modified National Match Course. I was very pleased.

Just for fun, I used my 3" SP101 at a match last month. Using both hands, I shot a 97-5x in the Slow Fire string. I took that target home and hung it on the wall. :D

So "Yes," I have to agree that I can shoot tighter groups with my 6" GP100 than the 3" SP101 --- but the SP101 sure is fun to shoot. :wink: