New Ruger Single Six Hunter ?'s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rcf-3

Bearcat
I picked up a new single six hunter with .22LR/.22WMR cylinders. I have wanted this gun for as long as I know they have made it. It shot well but I noticed a couple of things that caused me some questions.

Both cylinders are tight, almost no end shake and minimal rotational play. The .22 mag has a b/c gap of about .006" and I "think" that is good (I know it is for Ruger DA's). The .22LR has a b/c gap of .007"-.008" that "seems" excessive but I have no idea what the ideals are here. I figure it is a .22 so not super critical but tell me if these are normal. It does spit some serious fire out of the b/c gap along with some debris, I don't think it is shaving lead but I have a .22 head for my range rod on the way so I can verify the barrel/cylinder alignment. I have never owned a .22 revolver and I figure some lead splatter is to be expected with LRN ammo and the b/c gap such that it is.

My big gripe is the ejector rod shroud (housing?) looks like a pissed off beaver gnawed it out of a hunk of steel. OK not that bad but it is gouged and scratched and I didn't notice it when I was buying it, too damned excited I guess. It also has an unsightly gap at the front of it, again appears to be poorly fitted. Is there any easy fix, like buying a new one or are they individually fitted? I don't feel like shipping yet another band new gun back (last time it was SR9).

I love the look especially the long barrel and grips. I love the sights, although I might put a Leupold 2x on it (someone talk me out of it please). I really don't know why I put off buying one for so long. Unfortunately shooting .22WMR is addictive and I bought this gun to be frugal on ammo. This should make an awesome small game and plinker.

Let me know your thoughts. Appreciate any input.

-Rob

contender

Ruger Guru
Rob,, those are nice guns! If the ERH is offensive,, you can easily swap those out. If the alignment of the mounting of it, is off,, then it's a trip back to Ruger to fix.
As for the B/C gap,, they sound about right. If you want to check to see if it's shaving,,, place a couple of towels (old ones,) on each side of the gun to catch any lead shavings & fire 6 rounds. See what debris is on the towels.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I just picked one up too. My LR cylinder gap is 0.0035". My 22 Mag gap is 0.0025": basically 1/2 of what yours is. Yours sounds a bit wide, based the Rugers I have. I don't think it is out of spec though. My ERH sounds like yours: probably not as severe. It's nothing I can't live with. I have thought about taking it off and sanding it down a bit. It's not something that should happen on a $500+ gun. Good luck with yours!

rcf-3

Bearcat
Thanks for the responses.

I just called Ruger and the b/c gap is within spec, up to .010" allowed, typical. But it does shoot and that is what counts.

They are also sending me a brand new ERH for free, we will see if that sits any better or if it is a misalignment, personally I think it is just the housing itself.

Pretty good customer service from Ruger, no surprise but it is noce to deal with folks that try to do a good job.

rcf-3

Bearcat
True to their word Ruger mailed out a new ERH Monday and I got it Wednesday.

It fit perfect, fixed issue with the original.

Axehandle

Buckeye
Scope that Ruger... With the factory rings the scope goes on and off without loosing your zero... Means that you can quicky change back and forth...

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
rcf-3":y74cy9w1 said:
True to their word Ruger mailed out a new ERH Monday and I got it Wednesday.

It fit perfect, fixed issue with the original.

rcf-3: Great news! I'm glad it worked out for you. I actually followed your lead. They are sending me a new ERH too. Thanks. Mine wasn't that bad. But for a new gun that cost me almost $600 bucks, I don't think it's too much to ask.

rcf-3

Bearcat
Amen brother.

Now I just need them to turn barrel back 1 turn and re-cut it and clear up the b/c gap

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
rcf-3: Hey I got my ERH today and it fits great. Mine didn't look that bad and probably could have been reworked with a bit of sanding. But the new one looks and fits great. Thanks for setting a good example for me to follow.

Jayhawkhuntclub

rcf-3

Bearcat
Good to hear, I ran another couple hundred rounds through it and .22 accuracy is so so as I suspected since the barrel is set up for .224" to accommodate the .22 mags, I think I am going to get one of Paco Kelly's accurizers to set the .22lr bullet diameter to a consistent .224" and that should make a world of difference. With .22 mags this thing is deadly, all the yummy forest creatures better watch out!

Latest posts