New Ruger SA revolver; my wish list

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Onty

Single-Sixer
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you.

Seems to me that at this time of the year posts with wish list of new handguns we want are more frequent than usually. Considering experience and preference of others, my personal (moderate), my friends' and shooting bodies', Ruger manufacturing methods, handgun hunting laws, tradition, etc., here is my suggestion:

- NMBH (old "large frame"), stainless
- Calibers 357/9mm, 41, 44 and 45 LC/45ACP
- Fluted cylinder
- 6.5" barrel, round, no rib for scope, but with Hunter/Redhawk style replaceable front sight
- Grips; SBH with round trigger guard, Bisley
- Nice addition would be #5 base pin

Note; as far as I know, in many states hunting handgun has to have minimum 6" barrel, or longer, and 6.5' is VERY traditional barrel length.

I think that these models would be very easy to produce, and potential market would be very large because these two basic models will cover very broad range of shooters and hunters.

I would like to suggest to our members who have connections with some of those large distributors known for placing special orders, to present them this idea.

Thanks, Onty.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Since we're dreaming...

Stainless Bisley flattop, 8 1/2" Hunter bbl, unfluted cylinder, chambered in .357 maximum

Onty

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73":20onlzva said:
Since we're dreaming...

Stainless Bisley flattop, 8 1/2" Hunter bbl, unfluted cylinder, chambered in .357 maximum

I understand, but I would like to be realistic and try to stick with something that has better chance to materialize. O yeah, I have some odd wishes too…

Redstick

Single-Sixer
s4s4u":3vhhh9jo said:
5-hole Bisley in .480 Ruger in stainless with a 6" barrel

AND .460 S&W cal.
AND .454 Casull cal.
AND .500 Something or other, but NOT .500 S&W.

gak

Buckeye
Wish list:

New Vaquero in .44 Special/.44-40 convertible with 1st Gen (SAA) "blackpwder" cylinder chamfer.

Same in .32-30/.327 Convertible.

.327 Single Six - fixed and adj sight platforms in .327.

I believe we will see a .44 Special NV--hopefully soon--convertible or not. My interest these days is primarily for the Special, though a convertible would make a lot of marketing sense--getting two afficianado groups at once--if the spacing is there. It'd be .429 as the default which might rankle some .44-40 fans, but that's the way many -40s are now anyway and better'n'nothing.

Follow-up production idea could be .38-40/.40 S&W convertible, ...or at least as a Lipseys/Davidsons run.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
While we're on the subject of a convertible New Vaquero, why hasn't Ruger offered a conversion .45 ACP cylinder for the New Vaq the way they do for the larger-framed Blackhawk in .45 Colt?

From what I've seen, it's a lot easier to find .45 ACP on gunshop shelves than almost anything in .45 Colt, at least in my neck of the woods...and what there is in the latter caliber locally is either low-powered cowboy action loadings, or hard-kicking hunting rounds loaded to magnum levels that might well disassemble a New Vaq.

I'd think a Montado (or medium-framed Flattop Blackhawk) with both .45 ACP and .45 Colt cylinders would be awesome.

gak

Buckeye
ProfessorWes":jdg3erjr said:
While we're on the subject of a convertible New Vaquero, why hasn't Ruger offered a conversion .45 ACP cylinder for the New Vaq the way they do for the larger-framed Blackhawk in .45 Colt?

From what I've seen, it's a lot easier to find .45 ACP on gunshop shelves than almost anything in .45 Colt, at least in my neck of the woods...and what there is in the latter caliber locally is either low-powered cowboy action loadings, or hard-kicking hunting rounds loaded to magnum levels that might well disassemble a New Vaq.

I'd think a Montado (or medium-framed Flattop Blackhawk) with both .45 ACP and .45 Colt cylinders would be awesome.

That is a perplexer, as is lack of a 9mm cyl for .357 NVs (and now 50th Ann)....but the disparity in ammo availability and cost with the .45 LC would seem to put a priority on the ACP offering.

Rclark

Hunter
gunshop shelves than almost anything in .45 Colt, at least in my neck of the woods
Really, .45 Colt is a reloaders caliber. Then load it anyway you like. Just got in another 100 cases of .45 Colt to day to expand my ammo inventory :) .....

New Vaquero in .44 Special/.44-40 convertible with 1st Gen (SAA) "blackpwder" cylinder chamfer.
Now that perks my interest. Blued of course.

bulbboy

Bearcat
I would love to see :

New Vaquero in .22 (same size as normal New Vaqueros) 4 5/8"
New Vaquero with birds head grips 3.5"

gak

Buckeye
bulbboy":37v1tkf3 said:
I would love to see :

New Vaquero in .22 (same size as normal New Vaqueros) 4 5/8"
New Vaquero with birds head grips 3.5"
------
Montado length would be nice in that to keep weight down, and with 12 shot cyl like USFAs would be nice to take advantage of larger cylinder (vs SS)--and while we're at it , with a 9-10 shot .22 Mag convertible cyl too!

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
The ultimate:

Take the mid-frame flattop (same as the 44Spl), do it in *convertable* 45LC/45ACP. Better yet, do so in stainless (at least as an option).

Or better yet: 45ACP only, chop the cylinder extra-short, move the barrel back that 1/4" or so to save weight, run a 4" (total) barrel. You'd have the best personal defense SA ever factory built, period, end of discussion.

Ruger doesn't have the balls for that one though.

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
how about a 5-shot .38 special on the single-six frame. i suppose it may be technically unfeasible, but it'd be a neat piece.

gak

Buckeye
rugerlovah":2g9806hr said:
how about a 5-shot .38 special on the single-six frame. i suppose it may be technically unfeasible, but it'd be a neat piece.
--------
Possible and been done (Bowen, Clements, etc)

Latest posts