New Ruger S/A cylinder cost..........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

has anyone actually sent in or gotten a "NEW" Ruger S/A cylinder bought and fitted by the factory lately?? was wondering as I was told to replace a NEW cylinder the factory will only quote the labor charge ,which is $50 and the shipping cost which is $30, BUT not the price of any particular caliber cylinder..........
Yes, I realize, know and understand, that the cylinder is a "priority" part, BUT why no dollar amount or value????? until is is "seen, inspected, handled and a price then quoted..." hhmm, just wondering, hard to tell anyone a sense of cost or value, off hand.......... 8) :wink:

this is not even for a "spare" or "extra" cylinder, but simply a replacement cost for a LOST, missing single cylinder.......... :roll:

DGW1949

Hunter
I dunno Dan, seems to me that they got it backwards.....meaning that a cylinder is basically a cylinder, it's the labor (time to install) which varies.

But hey, I'm just a dumb ole country boy, so what do I know? :lol: .

DGW

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Can we assume NM Blackhawk. ...and they won't tell you how much? That's strange. Call again.

How do you loose a cylinder? ...nevermind. :D

hey, I understand and know what you mean, been through it many times over the years BUT that being said , guy came to me at the Maumee Valley gun show this past weekend, he was from Michigan, referred to me by others, asked if I had any cylinders for sale, told him no , not at this time,I've been "retired" since 2002,and said to call Ruger which he did, also his gun shop did, and on monday AM, I even called and asked as to pricing,cost, whatever, talked with two ladies one in service and one in parts,,,,,was ONLY given the price of labor and shipping back, NO Price as to the cylinder until they could see it, handle it and evaluate it, both said "
proprietary parts" estimate on arrival????? could NOT give the guy a call back and tell him anything other than what we had all been told, and yes, I told him to send the gun to Ruger and they will give him a bill.......................inquiring minds just want to know.....so figured if anyone had recently sent in a revolver for a NEW cylinder, how much did the job cost them OTHER than shipping and labor..........I have NOT bought any parts from Ruger ( and we dealt direct in our shop) since 1995....
still have account with brownells,but they do NOT carry any "proprietary" parts....sssssooooo........

"anyone had a cylinder replaced in a single action revolver direct with Ruger recently...??? :?: :?:

and if so, how much did the cylinder cost".... ( they are closely related), and relative as to caliber, just the material make up, blued or stainless............

98Redline

Blackhawk
It may be that the price is around $50 for the cylinder to include fitting.
Looking at gunbroker a .357 Blackhawk cylinder is going for around $50-60 so that may be the total cost for Ruger, who gets the parts for cost, and the time to fit it.

Also from listening to the description that Ruger gave you over the phone regarding the see, handle, evaluate, it sounds like they may have been thinking this was a warranty return to replace a broken or damaged cylinder and they needed to check out the rest of the gun to ensure it wasn't damaged.

no, the last time we had send a Blackhawk in for a guy it was like $168 total, and for the fitting at that time was like $18.50 and the shipping to and back, and the cylinder for the stainless gun was like $95 I cannot find the old work order, so again, have no clue and all these years later, what is current market if the "labor" and they said "labor" ONLY was $50 fitting, and the shipping back was $30 "quote ,unquote customer service" , Monday AM, and NO ptrice or cost for the cylinder, until "received, inspected, and see what it needs ( new gun, the cylinder is MISSING in a move , transfer from another job) by now I could have gone over his house and LOOKED for the "missing" cylinder myself 8) :roll: :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Last year a cyl cost $130 from Ruger, plus the $50 Svc charge, and $30 return shipping. Send gun thru your local FFL dealer. They can ship it much cheaper than an individual. I just buy them from members, off ebay, or gunbroker.

The only fitting needed is overall length. Timing won't be an issue.

You can purchase a used cylinder usually around $75 more or less, on the forums, ebay, Gunbroker, etc. In 30 years I have never installed one or heard of one that did not function and "time" correctly. They are assembly line produced to a common plus or minus tolerance. The exception and only important issue is that it has enough overall length for your frame at the front hub which is fit and sized to each individual frame window. If too long you can dress it down and is simple to 'fit' with a little stoning, usually under .005", that's not a lot. To have a gunsmith do it would be a minimal charge if you're more comfortable doing it that way.

You should take an overall length measurement of your frames cyl window with a dial caliper in .001 of an inch and seek one the same length or longer (1st photo). Over size can be fitted, undersize causes cyl end shake.
Cylinders will more likely swap with similar vintage parts:

Acylmeas.jpg

Photos courtesy of "rugerguy"

A cyl with a gap at the gas ring as shown below at the bottom arrow will rub on the end of the barrel at the top arrow because it will move back and forth in the gun called "cylinder end shake" in gunsmith terms.
Generally if overall length is correct, barrel to cyl gap will be within tolerance:

cylgapRSSnear.jpg

Good info Jim, and a GOOD 'reminder'.........I told him to "look around" on the internet for any "used" cylinders...his complaint was MOST he sees and finds are the "spare" or "extra" odd caliber cylinders, ala 9mm, 45 acp etc, he just wanted a standard .357 magnum, origional , that came with the gun, and YES we got him one this morning for $80 shipped, so he will save a LOT of money versus sending it back to Ruger....ta daa ( was able to score a standard 45 long Colt cylinder to boot) 8) :roll: :wink:

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I had a cracked .44 mag cylinder in a Super Blackhawk, emailed Ruger because nobody else (Midway, etc) sells new ones. Ruger told me they will no sell cylinders, told me to send it to them. I did, they found the frame also cracked, would not repair it, instead offered me a whole new gun at a reasonable price. Also would not consider putting a stainless cylinder in a blued revolver, because they "do not have a custom shop".

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
Measure the inside of the frame where the cylinder pin goes through and deduct a thousandth or 2 and put a wanted to buy in the classified section with that measurement. Specify frame size (small, medium and large) and caliber.
Ron

some of you are "missing" the point and 'why' I had asked, I know ALL about fitting ,putting in, swapping around any old cylinder (used) from another gun, I was asking about the current cost of todays "new" cylinder from the Ruger factory, I know what cylinders cost from 'other' makers, NOT my question, I question "why" Ruger people ( factory) just does not ,or will not "quote" a price, other than service, ,labor and shipping back......what are todays 'gunsmith' having to do????? How can they "properly" quote a price, for "parts" and they can make up the labor......hhhmmm.
and again, as I said, above, we now already "solved" the mans problem and got hm a perfectly good "replacement" standard caliber 357 magnum ,new model cylinder , and its in the gun...............
as well as we have two 'other' NEW model cylinders in the deal, and gee wizz, if I knew what they sell for , I'd offer them for sale ( sorry , we don't do auctions)....nice when some folks take care of you and swap "parts", old model for new model, love the "free enterprise system, barter and trade.
My job is done, and inquiring minds will have to "wait"...... 8) :roll: :wink:

....back to changing the grand kids diapers

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Dan,

My post above: $130 for the cyl from Ruger.

But as far as on the used market, the price has more to do with scarcity of the caliber. Common caliber cyls are less than hard to find cyls like 9mm, mid or large frame, 44 mag fluted cyls, 44/40 cyls, and ACP cyls.

I've paid as low as $50 and as high as $150 for the scarcer calibers.

yes Hondo, that's why I had made the comment to you as to "good info" as well as "good reminder"...in your post above..... :wink:

Yes, we have seen used ones all over the place, and as I had noted it seems like MOST of the cylinders for sale are the "extra" ones, the 'spare', ala the 9mm, 22 mag or 45 acp.......very seldom ever see a used "standard" caliber on a table for sale on a table or from the "parts" guys at the gun shows, let alone any of the gun shops ( gunsmiths).......
thanks again........ 8) :wink:

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
It can be frustrating when they won't quote you the price on something as basic as the cylinder and they want to get on like fitting one is some kind of black art. I don't get it.

Over the years I have had 4 cylinders replaced on 3 different guns, and they have never charged me a nickel not even for shipping both ways.

Most recently this year I bought a convertible and needed the .45 ACP cylinder replaced. They sent a shipping label and a call tag to UPS and UPS picked it up the next day. 2 weeks later it came back with a brand new perfectly fitted .45 ACP cylinder.