New Ruger rifle serial # mismatch w/bolt UPDATE RIFLE BACK

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NM815

Bearcat
Hello to all, what a way to start as a new member with a problem.

I just purchased a brand new Ruger American Ranch Rifle, in 300 AAC, after I get the rifle home I noticed the Serial Number of the rifle does not match the bolt. They are off by exactly one digit, the last digit of the serial number. I called the store I bought it from and the serial number on the bolt does not match any firearm in inventory, all their numbers match in the store, they have no record of selling a rifle with my mismatched bolt number. I obviously thought someone at the store accidentally swapped bolts.

Call Ruger was their answer, see what they say, I will contact Ruger on Monday.

Has anyone seen this? A headspace issue immediately comes to mind. I suppose the matching bolt could have been defective and they used a different bolt??

Any comments, input, or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

NM815

Bearcat
Thanks to everyone for the input. The LGS just had the one 300 AAC Ranch Rifle, if they had another in 300AAC I would just go back and demand an exchange. I agree with the comment about the distributor, likely got switched there, I would be surprised if it was a factory foul up.

I know rifles are headspaced to bolts, with modern manufacturing and tolerances any guess on how much of a concern the mismatch is?

I know if I keep it and decide to sell it later the value would be less, but these are cheap (price) rifles, other thoughts?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Welcome to the forum. Stuff happens. If you can't exchange the rifle where you bought it call Ruger and if they want you to return the rifle ask for a free shipping label. They should take care of it for you very quickly. :D

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
NM815 said:
I agree with the comment about the distributor, likely got switched there, I would be surprised if it was a factory foul up.

This is a factory foul up period. My guess is that the bolt is correct but simply numbered wrong. The distributors dont take guns out of the boxes and tinker around with them. They recieve them from the factory and send them out just like they are packaged from the factory. A trip back to Ruger is no hig deal. Just do it yourself and a quick phone call telling them the situation will get Ruger to send you a paid shipping invoice. The shop had nothing to do with the mistake and will just take extra time for you to have them send it in for you.

NM815

Bearcat
Thanks to everyone for the input, I will post a follow up after this shakes out and is resolved.

NM815

Bearcat
I did chat with Ruger today, they were very helpful, they emailed me a FedEx label and I will provide an update when I get the rifle back.

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
rugerjunkie said:
NM815 said:
I agree with the comment about the distributor, likely got switched there, I would be surprised if it was a factory foul up.

This is a factory foul up period. My guess is that the bolt is correct but simply numbered wrong. The distributors dont take guns out of the boxes and tinker around with them. They recieve them from the factory and send them out just like they are packaged from the factory. A trip back to Ruger is no hig deal. Just do it yourself and a quick phone call telling them the situation will get Ruger to send you a paid shipping invoice. The shop had nothing to do with the mistake and will just take extra time for you to have them send it in for you.

+1

NM815

Bearcat
I got my rifle back from Ruger. So, here is the final AAR.

After calling, Ruger sent me a FedEx label, I had to drive 20 miles to FedEx to drop it off.

It took a full week to get coast to coast.

Rifle arrived at Ruger on a Tuesday, they sent it back out on Friday, so two full days there, very reasonable.

It took a full week to get back, FedEx fouled up the delivery, called Wed and said be home Thu because you HAVE to be home and 21 age and sign. Idiots, did not come till the next day so wasted all day Thursday waiting for FedEx (not Ruger's fault).

I used my CMP Garand box to ship it out, now gone. My original RARR box was inside the CMP box, not returned

Ruger returned the rifle double boxed but the new "Ruger" box is a generic box as opposed to the original box which showed the model and serial number,

The new bolt has a serial number that matches the rifle, Ruger did not say much except, new bolt and test fired.

The new bolt squeaks, more like a whistle sound when you work the action, I have not taken to the shop to oil the bolt, hopefully that is all it needs, otherwise it is just annoying.

The rifle I purchased was 100% new in box at purchase in factory wrapping with no dings or marks, Ruger managed to chew up the freakin stock where the recoil pad meets the butt, %$#@@! Ruger, how the heck did you scratch, chip, ding, and nick the stock! %$#@@!* It looks like a ferret or rat gnawed on it, #%^%@!

On a related note, are the RARR stocks that cheap, &^%$$#! I have 30 year old rifles that have been field used and carried that look better than this.

NO SWAG, could you not throw it an extra mag (that cost you a couple bucks), or a hat, or coupon, or something, for the inconvenience.

Overall, pretty dissatisfied, have not made it to the range.

Cholo

Staff member
They'd be sending me a new stock. I know how you feel. I sent in a new S&W M-29 Classic back in the 90's. When I got it back the BC gap went from .002 to .012 and this beautiful gun was scratched all to hell. I mean it looked like someone worked on it on the shop floor in a pile of metal shavings while using baseball cleats for a vice. :x When I got it back it looked like new with BC gap of .006. It is an absolute tack driver with hunting loads. If I had it to do over again, I'd have lived with the original cosmetic problem...

I would def. contact Ruger again. In all fairness, I can't blame them for not returning your original boxes. We live and we learn...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
WOW! this story doesn't have a happy ending yet. I hope you can get your stock fixed NM815.

Disappointing to hear a customer of Ruger service is not happy. That has got to be an exception from all the accounts I have read here. :(

Rockrat

Single-Sixer
Oh, I don't know about that. I have a #1 460S&W that out of a box of ammo, would only fire about half of the time. Sent it back, on my dime, they sent it back saying it was fine. Shoots about 2/3'ds of the time now. Put a breechblock in the gun, from another #1 and it would shoot every time. Wasting my time with Ruger service.