New Ruger P-345 Range report.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Well, I picked up a new Ruger P-345 this past Saturday after reading some very positive things about this firearm.

The particulars:
The gun is 45 ACP, has a synthetic frame, holds 8+1 rounds, weighs in at 29 oz., and it is just 1.2" wide including the slide stop. The grip, to me, feels similar to that of the 1911. Balance and weight are very acceptable. Mine has a stainless slide, but, it is also available in black.

Initially, I had a little problem when I tried to load a handload of semi-wadcutter. As it turns out, the bullet was seated too high, resulting in the gun getting locked up with the bullet stuck in the chamber throat. Once I got that fixed, it was smooth sailing.

At the Range:
Happy to report, I fired a total of 190 rounds (mixed factory and handload FMJ, Remington Golden Sabres, and Fed HST. ) without a single hitch.

The gun has a manual safety/decocker. If you drop the hammer using the decocker, you must push the safety back to the fire position,and the pistol can then be fired double action. Double action trigger is long and somewhat gritty, loading up towards the end. Single action trigger is surprising light, smooth and crisp.

Accuracy:
Factory Remington 230 FMJ and WW 230 Gr. FMJ turned out the most accurate targets of the mixture of ammo I had. The four corner circles in the pic are each 7 rounds. Top 2 are Remington bottom 2 circles are WW. These were shot at 11yds.
Recoil was very manageable, and, in a side/side comparison with my Glock 30, noticeable recoil seemed less with the Ruger.

All in all, I really like this gun. It's a keeper, and I have a Crossbreed Supertuck on its way. When it gets here, I'll be good to go!

RugerP345-1.jpg

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
I sure have been happy with the choice...that is one accurate pistol right from the box...did not require any adjustments. Feeds and fires every time.

Regards,

MD

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the range report. I'm very interested in the p345. I really like my p95 and the p345 seems like the logical choice for getting a 45 acp. It's been a while since I looked at one, but isn't the extractor design different on the 345 as compared to the p95?

mr_trumpet1

Bearcat
I got my P345 a month ago and have put 250 rounds through it and not a single problem. Wad cutters, fmj's, jhp's, Federal, Winchester, Atlanta Ammo, and Remingtons has gone through it so far no FTF/FTE. She pretty much eats anything I feed her lol. Except for 45 ammo is hard to come by in south Georgia. I love my P345 a whole lot. Gonna put 100 more rounds through her this weekend to officially break her in. I was havin some of the same groupins at an indoor range back at home (after the range guy fixed my grip lol). Congrats on the P345!!! And keep puttin rounds through her. She is a blast! I have my CCW and carry her with me everywhere I go. She is a reliable product at a good price. Ruger has made me a new fan.

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
Congragulations on your new p345. I really like mine. I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate it is. I had never heard good things about the P series accuracy, the P90 being the one exception. Mine has been super reliable, feeding every reload I have stuffed into it. About 1000 rounds later, it has never failed to feed and fire. I like the gun much more now that I finally pulled all the trigger and hammer parts out of the gun, polished everything, decreased the depth of the sa sear, and reassembled. Now the gun is much more user friendly and easier to shoot good groups with. The only thing that bothers me know is the amount of overtravel after the sear breaks. It does take some concentration to not allow that to make the sights wander.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
You'll be extremely happy with that Supertuck!

My P345 was my first pistol ever, and the first gun I ever purchased for myself. I absolutely love it, it's easy to conceal in the supertuck, and I can carry it all day long, even in TX heat wearing just a t-shirt and shorts. I got a good deal on it, and I don't mind that it gets some honest holster wear.

I shoot my P345 A LOT and it's super accurate, and pleasant to shoot. It fits my hand perfectly, and points naturally. I've used it to introduce a couple people to shooting, and they've had a lot of fun with it as well.

Glad you got that wadcutter round out!

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Update:

Well I got my Supertuck, and carried the P345 all day. First off, kudos to the good folks at Crossbreed holsters. I received my holster in less than a week! This is my second Crossbreed holster, my first actually was a pre-supertuck non-adjustable model. This new holster is very comfortable, and the ability to adjust height and cant is a real nice feature.

The combination of the Crossbreed holster, and the P-345 make for a light, thin, concealable and potent combination.