New Ruger LCP...Impressions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Engine49guy

Bearcat
Hello,
I just picked up my new Ruger LCP .380.
Paid $300 plus $25 transfer fee on sale.
CIMG3828.jpg

I have had many .380's none as small as the new LCP.
CIMG3827.jpg

Its actually as small as my .22 baby Beretta.
I had been considering a Keltec but when I saw the Ruger I had to have one.
OK, the pro's
Its a Ruger !, comes with an optional finger groove magazine floorplate, comes with a storage bag and decent lock, has a slide stop.
The Cons,
One magazine instead of two, at 8oz, its 2 oz's heavier than the keltec,
Slide stop does not activate after the last round is fired!, to make matters worse it looks like it could easily have been made to if they changed the magazine spring follower/catch. Not a true double action trigger, It cocks and sets when action is cycled, if the hammer is fired and it goes click you have to cycle the action to reset the trigger...weird and not reassuring in case of light primer strike. Magazine wiggles in frame when fully inserted.
$30 more than the Keltec.
OK, that being said I know alot of pistols have plastic triggers but with the weight of the trigger pull and thinness of the trigger, it does not feel like the trigger is going to last long, some things are just better to make in metal. I suppose this thing is not meant for daily target practice...Cant wait to run a box of ammo through it!

Rescue 187

Bearcat
I was going to get the Ruger but ran up on the Kel Tec for $269 and haven't looked back. The Ruger is a fine 380 but the Kel Tec is as well. I carry mine in a pocket holster with 1,000 fps 90 grain hp's. When you fire it with that ammo it gets ones attention...it really goes BANG!! :)

adanymous

Bearcat
Wow, those LCPs sell for like $275 at gunshows here. Im gonna have to buy some and put them on the interweb! :idea:

Landshark

Bearcat
The LCPs I have seen in the Houston area stores are going for $320-350 and they can't keep them in stock.

MoHawk

Bearcat
OK, that being said I know alot of pistols have plastic triggers but with the weight of the trigger pull and thinness of the trigger, it does not feel like the trigger is going to last long, some things are just better to make in metal. I suppose this thing is not meant for daily target practice...Cant wait to run a box of ammo through it!
I have fired 500+ rds through my LCP & 200+ through my
wife's, with 0 failures on both. At first I REALLY disliked the
extremely long trigger pull. However for CC I suppose that
is a good safety. It took me about 100 rds to become
accustom to the trigger. You better have a tough hand if
you use the LCP for daily target practice. My hand starts
showing the effects of the recoil after 30 to 40 rds. The first
time my wife shot hers, after 20 rds the palm of her hand
was bruised.

The LCPs main purpose is deep concealment which is the
reason I purchased it. I carry it in a Desantis Cargo Nemisis
holster. In the Mid Missouri area, they are selling for $320
to $348 and are allways out of stock. Also you can't find .380
ammo.

My wife was terrible dissapointed in the sights so I added a
CTC LG431 laser to hers. I am accustomed to point & shoot
so that aspect did not bother me.

I believe it is a very good weapon for its intended purpose.
It is definitely not a target pistol.

LCP-CT.jpg

CargoNemisis.jpg

cowboydave

Single-Sixer
MY dad bought one today for 299.00 + tax. Cheapest we've found around here, most are around 350.00 + tax.
Dave

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I got a LCP the other day and it was 272.00 plus tax. I've been wanting a LCR and they've been pretty scarce around here and way over priced.Not two minutes ago the phone rang. I had my name on the list for a LCR for a little over a week now. One came in and my price is 393.00 plus tax.Off to the gunshop tomorrow.

Speaking of prices on guns and in different locations how prices vary.A little over a month ago we were in Alaska.W*M still sells handguns in AK.Every Wally World we went in had LCP's for 269.00. Everything else up there is really expensive. They had a Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull for 749.00.Alaska isn't the place to look for bargains but I guess if you look long and hard enough you'll find one eventually.

If you ever go there and smoke I suggest taking cigarettes with you. They ranged from 75.00 a carton in Fairbanks to 85.00 in Anchorage. One guy was telling us he works on the North Slope. A real bargain there. A mere 110.00 a carton.That will make you quit if nothing else will LOL.

Rescue 187

Bearcat
halfmoonclip":1nmcwxu6 said:
Drill and put a dab of white paint on the front sight; makes a huge difference.
Moon

What would you drill? Can you elaborate on this a little. I've been wanting to help my front sight out a bit...thanks

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Rescue 187":2u82tzfl said:
halfmoonclip":2u82tzfl said:
Drill and put a dab of white paint on the front sight; makes a huge difference.
Moon

What would you drill? Can you elaborate on this a little. I've been wanting to help my front sight out a bit...thanks

Someday I have to learn to post pics...
I'll explain with the thousand words instead. Clear the gun and field strip and set the slide on a block of wood. Here's the hard part; by eyeball, dimple the front sight with a fine centerpunch; stay as high on the sight as you reasonably can, allowing for drilling a 5/64" diameter shallow hole on the sight. If you make a good strike with the punch, it should be possible to keep the slide flat on its woodblock and drill straight down in a drill press, even tho' the back of the front sight is sloped. You can cold blue the hole and then put a dab of white paint in with a toothpick.
What you'll see thru' the sights is a white spot for index; even if you can't see it perfectly, you'll be able to hit things smaller than a breadbox.
Moon

IrnRngr

Bearcat
I just put a dab of bright red finger nail polish on the "front" sight and that made a huge difference. I like my LCP alot, at first I didn't but after spending time getting to know the weapon, Its great for what its made for.