new Ruger American ranch in 223/5.56 using AR mags...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bwiese

Bearcat
Hi folks...

Just did the papers on Ruger American ranch in 5.56(223) that uses detachable AR
mags. Have to wait 10 days to take it home, but wroked the action a bit at the shop...

I note that, unlike most 'regular' bolt guns, this gun's bolt locks back (i.e, can't move
forward) on an empty mag. [This is different than most bolt guns without any
detachable mags, which can slide over the follower plate when empty.]

I'd like to disable this so-called 'feature' without modifying my AR mags. Any clues to
tricks working on the bolt etc? Guidance from RKIs welcome.

[I just think I should be able to single-load a round in the chamber without either
having to thumb down the mag follower & not having to eject the mag either!! ]

26965.jpg

Thanks
Bill

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
If the bolt is held back by the rear edge of the magazine follower you could bevel that rear edge so the bolt will slide over it. But any change you make can have more than one effect so I would not modify anything I wasn't prepared to replace.

PriseDeFer said:
If the bolt is held back by the rear edge of the magazine follower you could bevel that rear edge so the bolt will slide over it. But any change you make can have more than one effect so I would not modify anything I wasn't prepared to replace.

The ONLY magazine that holds the bolt open on my identical rifle is the factory supplied P-Mag. The magazine has a nearly square angle on the rear of the follower.

None of my other magazines have a similar follower, and none of my other magazines, either metal or plastic, hold the bolt open.

PriseDeFer said:

I did finally bevel mine, and the bolt now glides easily over the follower on an empty magazine. It took multiple attempts and actually required quite a bit of material removed...

I wish I had taken a photo before I began the project, but I didn't. Here's a rough idea of the amount of material removed...

blammer

Single-Sixer
As to the bolt locking back. My Ranch in 762x39 has that with the mini-30 mags it takes. At first, I did not like it. But the more I used it and got used to it, I figured out that it saved me from click-no-bang if I don't count fired rounds accurately.

I've got the standard, 5-round Ranch in 300BO. Rotary magazines can be finicky, but it's very accurate for me.

Enjoy your compact, accurate bolt rifle.

Seems to me it would make a lot of sense to modify a $10 magazine to eliminate the bolt hold open, instead of a several hundred dollar bolt or rifle. For that matter, you can buy followers for the AR pattern magazines for a couple of bucks.

Latest posts