New Ruger .327 mag Single Seven

Help Support Ruger Forum:

meister mash

Bearcat
louiethelump said:
I just picked up my 4 5/8" 327 from my local dealer, and IT IS OUTSTANDING! I have looked it over with a critical eye and I see nothing wrong with it at all. The chamber walls are smooth as glass, it has the normal Ruger Single trigger pull, all 7 chambers are there, the barrel cylinder gap looks to be about .005 or .006, the grips fit fine and I could not be more pleased with it. I had asked him to order it on Monday and it arrived today. I like it so much I asked him to order a 7.5" for me. (I know they are not available yet) He said he would put it in so I got one as soon as they are available. Nice gun and I cannot wait to shoot it if the rain stops tomorrow.
:?: So the 4 5/8" are shipping now? Sweet maybe a call next week is in my future. :)

Big Old Boy

Hunter
FYI,we put over 100 rounds through mine this wknd and she worked great, I do enjoy this new gun.

Eliminator

Bearcat
Shortly after these appeared on the Lipseys website, I had my LGS place a 4 5/8" on a wish list. It came on Friday and I was able to get it to the range later in the day, and on Saturday as well. It proved to be very accurate using a variety of hand loads in .327 and .32 H&R. The only factory load I had was Federal AE 100gr .327 loads (these are all business and shot well). Two of my .327 loads and one .32 H&R load were superbly accurate, shooting one hole groups offhand at 30ft. And I don't mean cloverleafs! I'll post these later when I get to my notes.
The trigger is typical for a Ruger, a bit heavy with some creep.

As for fit and finish, mine is the spitting image of majorKAP's in this thread. Grip fitment is very similar. Even the serial numbers are close.
When I picked mine up, the store had actually received two, both of which were nearly equals except the other had considerable cylinder endshake. My, barrel/cylinder gap measures .007 (spy material) for those that may care.

I have two issues with the Single Seven which I think are easily "fixed."
1) When firing max loads, my base pin occasionally jumps forward. So I may need to call Ruger and get a new one or just go aftermarket.
2) To facilitate loading and, more so, ejecting empties, this thing is crying out for a free-spin pawl! Whether loading or ejecting, the rotational distance from the time a chamber is fully visible in the window until the next click is very small. Of course once you rotate to the the click, you can't load or eject, and the cylinder will not reverse. Err! Loading isn't bad because as the cylinder is turned, a round can be started into the empty chamber as soon as it begins to appear in the window. Ejecting for me is a bit more frustrating. I think Ruger should have removed just a bit more material from the loading gate area. It wouldn't take much, maybe a few thousandths, and the chambers would index perfectly with the loading gate. I realize this would probably add to the cost of manufacturing, but I would pay to have that bit of refinement.

Overall I am thrilled, especially with the accuracy. I think the Single Seven and the .327 are a perfect combination. Three years ago I bought an early, new-in-box, 4 5/8" .32 H&R Single Six with adjustable sights. All was well until I found out the thing would not shoot worth a darn regardless of the load. I've held on to it with the idea of sending it out and having it converted to .327. I still may do that but for now I will enjoy the S7.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I picked up my 5.5" on Saturday and am pleased. Grips are a tad small, but I have that is the case on just about any stainless Ruger Single action these days. I think the stainless grip frames are just a tad larger.

I only fired a few reloads, and some factory American Eagle 100 gr JSP to see if I had any sticky cases as some have encountered. Mine ejected fine.

My only real issue is as Eliminator stated above. The gun would really benefit from a free-spin pawl.

meister mash

Bearcat
Woo hoo My lgs just called and my 4 5/8 is in. Now I have to wait until Friday to go get it though. Gotta work ta pay for it.

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I picked up a 4 5/8" yesterday. No issues with fit/finish other than the grips. B/C gap was .006 and consistent.

Not sure why Ruger can't do a better job with grip fitment on recently produced models, but the last few that I have purchased all have ill fitting grips. Not a deal breaker for me, but this didn't used to be the case...

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Picked up my 5.5" today. Fit and finish excellent. Fired cartridge date is 9/25/14. Will take it to the range on Thursday. It joins my Blackhawk 327, USFA 327/32 WCF convertible and Buckeye 32 H&R rechambered to 327.

garyhan

Bearcat
There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground on these guns. Picked up my 5.5" this morning, and the fit and finish are about as close to perfect as I've seen on a Ruger. Very tight barrel-cylinder gap. Amazingly, the trigger beaks at 3.5 lbs with just a bit of creep. If the range test is as positive as first impressions, this will be a real gem.

gary

mhblaw

Blackhawk
However, at the range yesterday, a cartridge would not chamber. Handload with 115 gr. RN. Same cartridge chambers just fine in my Blackhawk 327. Took a resized empty and also would not chamber fully, almost .10 too short. Possibly chambered for 32 H&R? Don't know, but obviously must go back to the factory. Woe is me.

frankenfab

Single-Sixer
The first thing I did was fill the cylinder on mine with new Starline to see how much wiggle room there was. Chambers are pretty tight and consistent. I can't shoot it yet because I need to load ammo!

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I took my 5.5" and 4 4/8" to the range today they both shot pleasantly well. I am going to like these.

I hope all who are having issues with these get them taken care of - this is a great platform...

meister mash

Bearcat
I picked my 4 5/8 up today. :lol: It looks good I think. Lots of sharp corners. Had a heck of a time getting the chambers loaded and you have to slide in cartridges right when they will fit. Not when the pawl stops the cylinder because there is no room. I am going to do the free spin pawl trick. Going to shoot it tomorrow though, before improving anything too much because I waited too long for this and have to shoot it first. It does have a couple of marred spots on the flats of the forcing cone which don't look like they will hurt anything.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I figured it out. My sizer die was not snug against the shell holder. Screwed it down a little, ran the reloads (minus decapping pin) through and chamber just fine. Now to the range!

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I got an email from Jeff at gun blast today he said he would probably have the full review of the single seven up tomorrow morning hopefully it is.

Eliminator

Bearcat
Big Old Boy said:
I got an email from Jeff at gun blast today he said he would probably have the full review of the single seven up tomorrow morning hopefully it is.

I read the review and saw the video; I liked both. He stated the cylinders on his index properly with the loading gate. Mine doesn't and I've heard accounts of others that do not. Wonder if there's is a problem with some??

Big Old Boy

Hunter
mine works fine perfect in every way I have no problem with loading and loading gate cylinder overtravel it's just perfect I don't know I guess some do have problems.

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
Got mine today! Thanks Gunsbam69.

Everything checks out fine. Cylinder gaps right at .004", loading and unloading is easy. Fit and finish very good. Mine was minted the 26th of last month. I am pleased. If it shoots as well as my 32 H&R Single Six I'll be ecstatic!

Latest posts