New Ruger .327 mag Single Seven

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrbumps

Blackhawk
If I turn my cylinder until I hear the click, then I can not load, or unload. I have to catch it just before the click. I think I will do the free spin pawl anyway. It was interesting to see in the Gunblast review that the 7 1/2" actually had the slowest velocities.

Eliminator

Bearcat
mrbumps said:
If I turn my cylinder until I hear the click, then I can not load, or unload. I have to catch it just before the click. I think I will do the free spin pawl anyway.

This describes mine as well. I'm wondering if JustsayMo and Big Old Boys' are as Jeff stated with his examples in the video, with the chambers lining up at the click.

meister mash

Bearcat
Eliminator said:
mrbumps said:
If I turn my cylinder until I hear the click, then I can not load, or unload. I have to catch it just before the click. I think I will do the free spin pawl anyway.

This describes mine as well. I'm wondering if JustsayMo and Big Old Boys' are as Jeff stated with his examples in the video, with the chambers lining up at the click.
Gents, I completely disassembled mine yesterday and attacked the loading issue with my dremel. I used a small drum and opened the cut out a small bit. Then I used a felt bob to polish and hide my work. I also took off the rough corners on the recoil shield, inside around the loading gate so the cases wouldn't catch on them while ejecting. It didn't take that much to do and nobody will be able to tell. The rear sight was bugging me in that it had side to side play in it so I shimmed it up using the tiny brass tabs on 556 stripper clips with tiny holes drilled in them. I also put a stiff spring in the center pin retainer bolt because mine was jumping on me. I don't know if the free spin pawl trick will work, I have never done one before. I went as far as I dared and still don't have it right and am lucky that the revolver still functions. A .313 sized bullet can be easily pushed and almost falls through the cylinder holes.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I checked my chamber throats with pin gauges and a .314 falls through, and a .315 will not. My bore slugged at .312.

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
I couldn't wait for the weekend, so I stopped by the range for a quick test of my new Single Seven. Only fired twelve shots but I'd say it shows promise.

First three were using a load that shoots very well in my 32 H&R Single Six, the excellent RCBS 32-98 SWC over enough W231 to get it going around 950 fps. Shot offhand with the sights as sent from the factory at 7 yards.

1-006_zpsbcd98a60.jpg

The next load was another 32 H&R magnum load but this time it was the Blackhills factory load with an 85 grain JHP.

1-005_zps5a24aece.jpg

Next I went 327 with some American Eagle 85 grain JFP that shoot OK in my 327 SP101 and spitting them out at 1324 fps in that gun. I'll chronograph them in the 5.5" Single Seven asap.

1-004_zpsdb343f7c.jpg

Lastly I tried another reload, the Lyman 311008 (shot as cast, .313") over the Hodgdon MAX load of SR4756. I haven't chronographed the load in the SP101 but it seems to shoot well in both.

1-003_zpsa0c93844.jpg

At only 7 yards and offhand it is hard to draw any conclusions but I'd say it does show promise.

Other notes: The factory sight setting seemed to be pretty close for both the 32 H&R and 327 Fed loads. The Single Seven really tames the 327 compared to the SP101. Neither is bad but the Single Seven makes them feel like 38 specials target loads. The Single Seven performed flawlessly. The cylinder holes appear to be plenty generous, I have not measured other than testing by dropping a few jacketed bullets though them - .311" shows no resistance. I'll have to try some .313" next.

I think I'm going to like that extra hole. Seven is better than Six.

I'm hoping to do a lot more shooting with it this weekend and give it a field trip or three. My enthusiasm for this gun has grown since acquiring it 24 hours ago. I think Ruger really has a winner with this one. Just perfect for the 327 cartridge.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have all 3 barrel lengths now in the stable. :mrgreen: I did see two of these at Outpost Armory off I-24 near Murfreesboro TN last night. Price was $579. 4-5/8" & 5-1/2" barrels were there.

Get 'em while you can....

32Magfan

Cordite

Single-Sixer
JustsayMo said:
... The Single Seven really tames the 327 compared to the SP101. Neither is bad but the Single Seven makes them feel like 38 specials target loads.

+1 to that. Just got back from the range and found the same thing using my 5.5" Single Seven. Tried several different loads (Fed red box 85gr and 100gr) and both were nice to shoot.

I did find that the loading scallop in the recoil shield could be larger... The loading / unloading process can still be easily done but you have to concentrate more than on a Blackhawk, for example. Ruger should open this area up by several thousandths but it certainly is not a deal breaker.

*THIS* is the gun that Ruger should have produced when the .327 Fed Mag was first introduced. This gun plus a healthy dope slap to the Federal production scheduler who did not schedule enough ammo production the first time would have made the .327 a larger marketplace success IMHO.

Cordite