New Ruger .327 mag Single Seven

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kenjal

Bearcat
Hi all-First post here. Been reading this forum for several yrs. just never posted. Really enjoy most of the posts, especially the guys from Soda Springs. Years ago Dick Thompson coached my little league football team in Inkom. Fun times. Anyway-this post is about my new single seven in 327 magnum.
I picked it up from the local Lipseys dealer in Pocatello last wk. Had him order it. Looked good upon inspection so I put down the dollars for it. $560 total. Those guys bidding on the auction sites for these new revolvers are crazy, IMHO. But it's their money. No sharp corners, good fit on all parts, no machining marks, looked ok.
Got it home, cleaned it up, measured cylinder gap-this is where I got my first disappointment. .008 all seven holes. At least all seven were the same. This can be tightened up, although it shouldn't have to be. It is what it is. So I then took it outside to shoot. Noticed that some of the cartridges would not load as they should, had to give them a little push. This should have sent a red flag up and I should have looked a little closer at the cylinder. But no, I wanted to shoot it. Shot a full cylinder and that was it. Shells wouldn't eject. None of them. Took it inside, took the cylinder out and pushed the shells out with a punch. They pushed out ok. No hammer use. One of the shells was split top to bottom, all of them showed lots of powder burn on the case. What the H? I was using American Eagle 100 grain factory loads. Upon further inspection of the cylinder I noticed that one of the holes had what looked like a chip of something protruding from the wall. Got my nylon pick out to try to scratch it out. Wouldn't do it. Why? 'Cause it is a metal burr. Great, now what. This is the first problem I've ever had with a Ruger. And I've had and do have a lot of them. I've got a Blackhawk in this caliber and I love it. It's a fun shooter and very accurate with the loads I use. I was looking forward to this little sevengun. Now I don't know what to think. I'll probably take care of it myself, But it is a letdown. So this is my initial experience with the single seven. Any comments are welcome. And I'm not going to disrespect Ruger. Things happen. We all love our Rugers, otherwise we wouldn't be here on this Forum. Right. But I am disappointed to say the least.
Thanks,
Ken

majorKAP

Single-Sixer
Interesting and more than a bit disconcerting, this post of yours and those of several others. I'll have one with the shortest barrel length here in a couple days. Hopefully, it won't be a factory unfinished version like yours.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I'm getting mine wed I hope I will have a good one. Maybe I should try it before the gathering this week end.

Koveras

Bearcat
I checked one out at the LGS last week. I didn't have any way with me to measure the cylinder gap except by eyeball, but it was big. When I checked the cylinder play with hammer released and trigger pulled, the side to side rotation was about normal, but there was a lot of end shake (enough to close up about half the cylinder gap. It also appeared the gap was slightly larger at the bottom. Again, without feelers with me I couldn't quantify that. On the plus side, there were no obvious tool marks.

I returned the gun to the fine fellow behind the counter.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Contact Ruiger immediately and have them send you a return shipping label. There is no reason you should have to fix this yourself and letting Ruger know about the problem may get them to stop it at the source for newer guns.

Ethang

Blackhawk
This is three now that have reported this problem so far? No excuse what so ever for these problems to be coming up. Did Ruger rush production of these? this is all new tooling they are using for the cylinder.

Mine is in. My gun guy said the gap looks good but I don't think he measured it. I will bring a set of feeler gauges with me when I pick it up. I don't care so much about tool marks or the grip fit being stainless steel, but cylinder issues are going to be a real problem.

single action

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum sorry to hear their are issues with the gun, my local gun emporium had two in and sold them out. Love Idaho, just below everyone here in Ogden. You will enjoy the forum a guy to the east of you in Star Valley is the benefactor of this group. thanks Bob

Jim Puke

Hunter
In my browsing around the forums, I have not read a SINGLE review that was positive on these guns...they have all had problems...granted, it is only a few reviews, but the negatives are batting 1000 on what I have read.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have, as yet, to lay my hands on one. I'm hoping Big Old Boy DOES bring his here,, for me to study. I'm awaiting my 7-1/2" barreled gun to be shipped.
I'll wait until I see one to judge.
But,,, like a lot of things,,, it seems the detractors scream the loudest,,, while the satisfied folks don't bother crowing much. Maybe??????

Ethang

Blackhawk
This is just it. I have scoured the three main forums I belong to and there has been this range report, and somebody else mentioned running a couple cylinders full through theirs. Unless a bunch are being bought and not shot, I would think a week + out in private hands would bring on a full on good range report.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I have about 250 rounds to put through mine with a lot of people to try it,we will give a full report after this week end.

kenjal

Bearcat
Wasn't being a detractor and certainly wasn't screaming Contender and I don't believe the other post about this revolver was either. Just our observations,,,,,,,about the revolvers we looked at or bought. Nothing wrong with that is there? I do hope the one you're waiting for is a great revolver and shoots straight with nary a problem. Mine was probably just a fluke,,,,,,that's the way it goes sometimes. I accept that. If we can't make observations about our Ruger firearms, either good or bad, then what's the point of this forum? Not disrespecting Ruger as my first post stated. OK, done with that.

Called Ruger-They're going to take care of it. Very nice and good customer service. As I assumed they would be. Kinda bummed about this because I wanted to carry it with me while hunting this fall.

Thanks,
Ken

contender

Ruger Guru
kenjal, I wasn't trying to single you out as a "screamer" in what I wrote. If you took it personally, I apologize, as that was NOT my intent. I have read a few other posts here & in another place or two, & it seems that more were trying to complain, and not many were complimentary. I was trying to point out the fact that a long awaited gun appeared & the first few reports I get were negative. Yet,,, once the negative reports came out,,, several folks have stepped in & had nothing but praise for their new .327.
I'm sure Ruger will take care of things, and yes, by all means,, we do welcome comments about Rugers, both good & bad. (Well, as long as the language is clean, & as long as very negative name calling isn't posted.)

Once again kenjal, I apologize if I made you feel singled out & too critical.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I had posted in other threads about rejecting my ordered gun (5.5") only after I saw the same problems posted by another.
remember - People trashed the entire brand of other guns (taurus, S&W, ParaUSA) for alot less than the multiple Single-Seven issues.

Ethang

Blackhawk
mohavesam said:
I had posted in other threads about rejecting my ordered gun (5.5") only after I saw the same problems posted by another.
remember - People trashed the entire brand of other guns (taurus, S&W, ParaUSA) for alot less than the multiple Single-Seven issues.

Just personal curiosity.. why did you reject it instead of giving Ruger a chance to correct it? Not bashing, just curious.

My guy offered to try and order me another one but I did not want to take the chance of them being unavailable.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I just picked up my 4 5/8" 327 from my local dealer, and IT IS OUTSTANDING! I have looked it over with a critical eye and I see nothing wrong with it at all. The chamber walls are smooth as glass, it has the normal Ruger Single trigger pull, all 7 chambers are there, the barrel cylinder gap looks to be about .005 or .006, the grips fit fine and I could not be more pleased with it. I had asked him to order it on Monday and it arrived today. I like it so much I asked him to order a 7.5" for me. (I know they are not available yet) He said he would put it in so I got one as soon as they are available. Nice gun and I cannot wait to shoot it if the rain stops tomorrow.