New rimfire cartridges from CCI

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
CCI will be introing 5 new rimfire cartridges at SHOT. One of them is a hot 30gr polymer tip .22wmr. Reckon I'll have to get a box when they hit the shelves. :)

Excerpt:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/01/17/cci-ammunition-to-launch-five-new-rimfire-loads-at-the-2019-shot-show/

LEWISTON, Idaho – January 9, 2019 – CCI Ammunition is pleased to announce five new rimfire loads during the 2019 SHOT Show (Booth No. 14551), January 22-25 at the Sands Expo Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

"We are excited to introduce these new products for rimfire shooters and hunters," said CCI Product Director Rick Stoeckel. "We know our customers will be pleased with all five options."

The list includes VNT 17 Mach 2 17-grain; VNT 22 WMR 30-grain; Quiet-22 Semi-Auto 22 LR 45-grain lead round nose; Clean-22 Standard Velocity 22 LR 40-grain poly-coated lead round nose; and Clean-22 High Velocity 22 LR 40-grain poly-coated lead round nose.

I've been wondering how long it will be until someone puts a little pointy plastic tip into the hollow of 22lr hollow point ammo and calls it an "innovation".
It actually might improve both longer range performance and expansion.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
I've been wondering how long it will be until someone puts a little pointy plastic tip into the hollow of 22lr hollow point ammo and calls it an "innovation".
It actually might improve both longer range performance and expansion.

Hornady did this some years ago with their 30gr V-Max .22wmr. Remington also has one - the PR22M1 Accutip (33gr). The only difference I can see between the Hornady and the CCI VNT is that the CCI bullet has a "segmented" HP filled with "little pointy plastic tip", which may slightly improve expansion over the Hornady. I suspect the external ballistics are likely very similar. My 9422M really likes the Hornady and I have a couple hundred rounds of it, but might switch to the CCI when I run out. I'll get a box when it becomes available anyway and see how my rifle likes it. Price difference might (or might not) be a consideration.