New Redhawk .357 8 shot with 4.2 barrel.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
I'm getting that warm feeling about this one but would have to sell another to get it.
I know this version is new but anyone have one of these yet?

Mus408

Hunter
Oh no....Yep for a moment I forgot about the hit or miss new gun QC.
I remember my new Alaskan purchase...selling a fine working SBH Hunter for my more expensive
Alaskan that had to go back.
Now if I could go up to Bud's warehouse where they keep all of these Redhawk 8 shooters and look at and try them all!

Maybe wait 5 yrs. and buy a great shooting old one :mrgreen:

Mus408

Hunter
I remember my days in the steel office furniture manufacturing plant.
The assembly line workers got bonuses for the amount of product packed out "On Time" but I don't think the traveling " Make It Work" QC crew that went to dealers got any bonuses.

I hope Ruger pays and treats the Reworkers really well !

But back to the Redhawk 8 shooter. There is a gun show in town this weekend so maybe I can find one to handle.

barrya

Bearcat
I cocked it 5-6 times and dry fired it twice. It is just one of the charge holes that is the problem. Even when it doesn't lock up it is hard to cock on one hole. Barry

22/45 Fan

Hunter
barrya said:
I cocked it 5-6 times and dry fired it twice. It is just one of the charge holes that is the problem. Even when it doesn't lock up it is hard to cock on one hole. Barry
I expect the problem is with one of the "teeth" in the ratchet the hand engages to rotate the cylinder. If it's machined incorrectly the problem you are experiencing will occur.

Yetiman

Bearcat
I don't have one of the 357 Redhawks but want to comment in general.

Even if you have an initial problem, at least Ruger is good about fixing it. I HATE that I would say that but it's true.

I got a Redhawk Kodiak Backpacker in a trade. It seemed fine when dry firing and with moderate powered loads. But when shooting hotter 44 magnums it would lock up every time.

I sent it in and it came back repaired (trigger plunger issue which is becoming pretty common on new Redhawks).

After that I sent it to Jack Huntington for a trigger/action job, and it has become one of my favorite guns to shoot. I take it along EVERY time I go shooting. The trigger (with a stock spring) is amazing now.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I also have a Kodiak Backpacker and it is a fantastic gun. I am not a good shot with the hotter loads though.

barrya

Bearcat
Tracking says the revolver was delivered to Ruger Friday afternoon. Do you normally get any kind of feedback from Ruger that they have it in their possession or will their next contact be when it ships back? Thanks. Barry

barrya

Bearcat
Got email from Ruger this afternoon that they have my revolver and will get it back to me as soon as possible. Barry

barrya

Bearcat
Got an email this afternoon that my Redhawk will be delivered back Monday. That is an unbelievabley quick turnaround. They got it on Friday the 19th and it will be back on Monday the 29th. WOW!!! Barry

barrya

Bearcat
barrya said:
Got an email this afternoon that my Redhawk will be delivered back Monday. That is an unbelievabley quick turnaround. They got it on Friday the 19th and it will be back on Monday the 29th. WOW!!! Barry
Got my Redhawk back today. It said they replaced the pawl, pawl spring, set b/c clearance, set head space and replaced shroud. Is the shroud the barrel shroud? It feels MUCH better. If weather cooperates I may shoot it this weekend. I am impressed so far. Barry