New PC9 Carbine Review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

3 MOA dot is pretty big and would be a problem I'd say past 50 yards.... also, I've learned with red dots you need to dial down the brightness until you can just barely see it for better accuracy. As for the astigmatism problem... need to discuss that with an eyeball doctor.

Century Limited

Bearcat
In response to the accuracy, I am sure the gun is more accurate than me. I cannot give honest accuracy assessment as I am a major variable in the equation. First, I am admittedly not a great shot. With he same gun and ammo, your 100 yard targets would likely show better groups than my 25 yard targets. Second, I have been loading blasting ammo so to speak. I do not weigh each charge and make sure each load is the exact weight, length, etc. While I love my Dillon 550B, I tend to get a slight variation in charges and COAL. The overall length issue is largely due to using cheap plated bullets with slight variations in bullet contour. While these are minimal and well within safety margin, they are not for precision. Third, my eyes are not good. I am trying to enjoy shooting as much as I can while I still can. I line up the fuzzy with the fuzzy and aim at the blur. This may sound scary, but issue just with clarity for precision. I am not blind. I cannot shoot a full magazine without needing to pause and look away and comeback to sight picture.

Red dot sights are one of the things that I wish I would have had when my eyes were younger. Until I looked through a high end red dot and saw the starburst, I did not believe that my eyes were that bad. That is when I learned what an astigmatism was. I see many reviews of red dots bing junk where I am willing to bet it was just the reviewer's eyes were not compatible. During my shooting session yesterday, I used my TRS-25 on its lowest setting and still saw a dot with what appeared to be three rays running from it, all appeared below dot this time. I just tried to ignore the rays and place the dot on center target.

I put a couple of old Redfield scopes on my rifles last night. I am heading to range again this morning and will see how I shoot. My daughter is coming home this weekend and intend on going out again Saturday. She is much steadier than me and will likely be able to comment on accuracy. I need to check into how to post pictures and if I even can and will try to post pictures later if possible.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Rei40c said:
Century Limited said:
The optic and my eyes with astigmatism is not ideal either.
Good review. Recently a gun store attendant was showing me optics and handed me a red dot powered on to look through telling me how "Sharp" the dot was. It was a 3 MOA dot I believe. He didn't seem to understand why it looked like a fuzzy oval to me no matter how much I explained what an astigmatism was. I think he thought I was saying the dot was defective. I have no doubt it was excellent to his eyes and others.

Would lasik eye surgery correct this condition if I where to get it when looking through optics?
What will correct your astigmatism at much less cost, less risk and with greater certainty than lasix is a properly prescribed pair of regular glasses. See a good optometrist or opthalmologist.

grobin

Blackhawk
Review from American Riflemant
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/1/2/tested-ruger-s-pc-carbine-and-security-9-pistol/

Good information and detai!

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I.Have the older pc 40 carbine blows the 9 mm away .I load 200 grain hornady xtp bullets to 1200 fps they are powerful .They need to make the 40 carbine again.and even better 10mm .My pc 40 carbine will shoot 1.25 inches at 100-yards very accurate .It's an awesome carbine modeled after the 1022.Did the new carbine get a better trigger and lose weight ?

When looking at the exploded view of the newer PCC9 the trigger group is a lot like the 10/22 trigger group.. nothing like the original PC9... which was all integrated into the stock of the gun and had a very heavy pull. (crisp break but heavy) Since the newer rifle has a removable trigger group, even if the trigger on it is not ideal it opens up the way for aftermarket improvements. Which is another good thing about the rifle.

RUGERFANTASTIC

Bearcat
Range time with the new Ruger carbine.Feeds several different ammo with no issues.best grouping with WWB 115 gr with a 3X9X40mm Scope at 100 yards was a good 3-4 inch groupp bench rested and dead on target.At 50 yards no scope and tweaking the sights a bit was again 2-4 inch groupps dead on.keep in mind temps were at 18 with wind chill so expect even better groupings inwarmer weathe.went thru 300 rounds,Dont think I will clean it just yet to see how far the gun functions.Hipoint Carbines are noted never being cleaned even after 2,000 rounds ! Just to see if the same may appy to the new carbine,and I paid $ 485 OUT ! N E PA :D

jim0249

Bearcat
Wow! Great shooting and even greater deal on the gun itself. I'm waiting for mine here in NJ at $569

Rei40c

Blackhawk
jim0249 said:
Wow! Great shooting and even greater deal on the gun itself. I'm waiting for mine here in NJ at $569

That's about my local price also. I really want it but if I'm patient I know I could probably save at least $50. hum... not sure what I'll do.

RUGERFANTASTIC

Bearcat
More Ruger security nine and pc carbine,the pistol now has over 400 rounds and the carbine over 300.Both perform much better thn tutorials say,If your a good shooter this pistol will be used more and more for daily ccw alongwith my lc 9.Carbine shooting is great hitting plates at 100 yards consistenly and low cost of 9mm ammo send my 40S&W pistol to be sold !

mpalm

Single-Sixer
I feel that with the new 9mm carbine released, the original old Pc9 will show up in the used gun market at a lower price. Being a take down that takes glock mags and ruger mags. the original lost some of its shine.
I saw today that Kahr/auto ordnace is releasing a Thompson in 9mm at twice the price of the Ruger.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
mpalm said:
I saw today that Kahr/auto ordnace is releasing a Thompson in 9mm at twice the price of the Ruger.
Most other Pistol Caliber Carbines are much more expensive than the Ruger. The CZ Scorpion lists for $1000 and the actual selling price is not much less, the H&K USC is over $1500, the Baretta CX4 Storm is about $700, the SIG MPX is about $1600 and most AR conversions are considerably more than the Ruger. The only lower priced ones are the Hi-Point and Kel-Tec.

Ruger is offering a real bargain in both cost and versatility.

welder

Buckeye
The price is very good, 499 locally. I paid a couple hundred more for a used version of the classic PC9 a few years ago, I'll be quite happy to get a new version much cheaper and I have nearly a dozen Glock 33 rd mags that need to see the range more.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
Until they make a mag adapter for their own "popular" mags, like those that fit in the P89 and original PC9, I won't be interested.
I emailed Ruger and asked about the PC9 mags and was told they couldn't answer my question because it would be providing "insider" information, which of course is illegal.
My fingers are crossed that they, or someone, makes an adapter for my many 10, 15, 20 and 30 round PC9 mags.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
rugerguy211 said:
Until they make a mag adapter for their own "popular" mags, like those that fit in the P89 and original PC9, I won't be interested.
Ruger P-series magazines may be popular on this forum but in reality they are not nearly as common as Glock magazines or even S&W M&P or CZ 75 magazines so Ruger isn't in a rush to make an insert for them. They obviously had to make an insert to use their own current handgun magazines (SR9, Security 9 and American) but even these aren't out there in huge numbers. Glock is the most obvious outside magazine manufacturer to provide for but S&W is reasonably close these days.

As to future calibers, I wonder if the action is large enough to chamber the .45 ACP? If so an insert for 1911 magazines would be a slam-dunk.