New PC9 Carbine Review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I took my new PC Carbine to the range today. Once I got it sighted in, it was a hoot to shoot. I got a stick to move around off hand at 50yds. Good enough for open sights. No issues other than a jam caused by a defective case. Will probably be a keeper!
AND, no reason to send back to Ruger........yet. :roll:

Dave

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
rugerguy211 said:
Until they make a mag adapter for their own "popular" mags, like those that fit in the P89 and original PC9, I won't be interested.
Ruger P-series magazines may be popular on this forum but in reality they are not nearly as common as Glock magazines or even S&W M&P or CZ 75 magazines so Ruger isn't in a rush to make an insert for them. They obviously had to make an insert to use their own current handgun magazines (SR9, Security 9 and American) but even these aren't out there in huge numbers. Glock is the most obvious outside magazine manufacturer to provide for but S&W is reasonably close these days.

As to future calibers, I wonder if the action is large enough to chamber the .45 ACP? If so an insert for 1911 magazines would be a slam-dunk.

Sure, I get that about the Glock mags. It made perfect sense to include an insert for them and I have no issue with Rugers' decision in that regard. It just struck me as a bit insulting that they exclude folks who bought their own earlier version. After all, isn't the insert just a piece of plastic (or some such material)? How much could it cost to make them? I'm hoping an aftermarket company will eventually offer one.

As to your last point, for what it's worth, my local gun shop folks think the PCC design does allow for larger calibers.

mikein

Single-Sixer
Have any of you tried this NovX ammo in your pistolas or your carbines? It sounds like nasty stuff. Pricey, but if you need to stop a threat, sounds like it would do a good job!!

413870714.jpg

mikein

Single-Sixer
Ran out this afternoon and put 100 more rounds through the new toy, including 10 of the Liberty Civil Defense +P loads. On the box it says 50 grain bullet pushed at 2,000 fps. The rounds were very accurate and cycled beautifully (like everything else I've thrown at it!) and I'll try to get some comparison work done with the chronograph this week. I want to see the difference in velocity between my 3 1/4 inch pistol and the 16 inch PC9.

mikein

Single-Sixer
I was curious to see what sort of muzzle velocity I would see out of the carbine, compared to my carry pistol with a 3 1/4 inch barrel. I was only able to test four different ammo types before I had to give up and give in to the WIND! It blew my chronograph over two times, and after the second time, I packed it in. But here's what I got recorded:

Liberty Civil Defense 50 grain was 1932fps out of the pistol; 2604fps out of the carbine
Federal 105 grain was 1124fps pistol; 1386fps carbine
Freedom Munitions 115 grain was 974 pistol; 1251 carbine
Hornady Critical Defense 124 grain was 975 pistol; 1294 carbine
All were tested with 5 shot groups with the chronograph set at 10 feet from the shooting table

No surprise that the additional barrel length will add a bit of "zip" to the MV of your favorite 9MM fodder!

mpalm

Single-Sixer
pistol carbines are great! Mine is a 40cal. Ruger Police Carbine. It shares ammo and magazines with my P944 pistol. It is the old version from 1997. The new 9mm looks to be a hit. handled one it was priced around $519.
The great thing about the NEW Ruger PCC is it can take mags for .Ruger pistols or Glock pistols.
(Maybe someday they will make them for S&W, Sig, Beretta, etc. Ruger can sell millions of them!)