New p95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mdefl12

Bearcat
Hey everyone, my dad purchased a new p95 at a gun show last weekend. the gun was used for the first time yesterday for my ccw class. I was using remington umc 115 gr. bullets and was having many failure to ejects and also on the last shot of the magazine the slide stop wouldnt catch the slide.

I am fairly new to handgun shooting so it is very possible that it was user error (though I have shot my brothers Taurus P92 and dad's Taurus millenium pro with no issues.) The instructor of the class told me that I should clean the gun and see if it has any effect. From everything that I have read about the p95 it seemed like people were having few problems with it so I was surprised when ours wasn't performing properly.

I am basically looking for any tips or ideas of what might be causing this. If the gun keeps acting would you bring it back to the dealer's store or just go through Ruger to try and get the problem fixed? Sorry about the lengthy post. Any help is greatly appreciated

snakespit

Bearcat
If it's a new gun it should be cleaned real good. If that does not fix it have someone that shoots well give it a try, you might be limp wristing it. But like I said give it a good cleaning

kscott

Single-Sixer
A good cleaning definitely doesn't hurt, but since you said you are a pretty new shooter it may be limp wristing. Try to hold it high and tight and see if it helps. If not let someone a little more experienced try it to see if it still does it.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
Definetly clean it. When you say failure to eject what "exactly" do you mean? I had failure to extracts with mine. Where the empty would stay in the chamber and the next round would get pushed into back of empty case. I've never had limp wristing problems with my p95, regardless of who has shot it. Maybe it is limp wristing? I shoot 115 gr umc exclusively in my p95 with no trouble. I think the umc is actually a hotter load than wwb, so It's not like umc is causing trouble from being weak. Can you hand cycle rounds through your gun real easy. When mine was new the ejector would bind against the slide to the point where it would not chamber a round. I had to file the slide by the breach face to remedy the situation. Being as it works most of the time It doesn't sound like anything major is wrong with it. Slide might just be hanging up some where?

For sure clean and lube .. then re-shoot holding the pistol absolutely rigid ... or rest on a shooting pillow or such. Or let someone else shoot it and see what happens....

Just to bust your chops a tad, because now I think you already know this: Taking a brand new gun you've never shot to a qualification shoot is a really really bad idea.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
I, too, had the exact same problems, more the failure to eject as described above. I had not cleaned nor lubed it prior to first use, I was shooting it pretty limp wristed I figured out.

I'm glad I had problems tho, because without it, I never would have found this forum!

Glad to report, now about 5-600 (or more???) failure free rounds. You will work it out.

mdefl12

Bearcat
I went and shot it yesterday. I didnt have any problems except the slide would still close after the last shot. Im thinking the slide isn't sliding all the way back becasue when I pull it back and let go the slide stop catches it. My buddy that went with me and my brother were having failure to feed problems when they shot my gun.
Any thoughts?

ps. It shoots straight though.

A

Anonymous

mdefl12 said:
I went and shot it yesterday. I didnt have any problems except the slide would still close after the last shot. Im thinking the slide isn't sliding all the way back becasue when I pull it back and let go the slide stop catches it. My buddy that went with me and my brother were having failure to feed problems when they shot my gun.
Any thoughts?

:idea: If a good clean and lube don't fix it and more then one person has the problem. Then it needs to be sent back to Ruger.................been there and done that! :roll:

karateman

Bearcat
My P95 since day one does not work well at all with Rem UMC ammo. I got the same stuff from Dicks Sporting Goods, and noticed that the lenth was a little shorter than the rest of the ammo I had. Every ohter shot was a miss feed.

But for the most part any other ammo I have used has been flawless.

Bill

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
karateman":2bdnj25x said:
My P95 since day one does not work well at all with Rem UMC ammo. I got the same stuff from Dicks Sporting Goods, and noticed that the lenth was a little shorter than the rest of the ammo I had. Every ohter shot was a miss feed.

But for the most part any other ammo I have used has been flawless.

Bill

I noticed that also. UMC is shorter than WWB and Federal. My P95 loves it though. When I was having failure to extract issues it was the wwb that gave more trouble than the umc. I don't know why, but it did.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
mdefl12":332du5r2 said:
Any thoughts?

Makes sense. The slide comes back far enough to cock hammer, but not far enough to allow magazine follower to push up slide lock. Maybe there is some friction between the slide and frame that's eating up some of the recoil. That might explain some of your feeding/ejecting problems also. If the gun didn't work at all I'd throw up my hands and send it to Ruger. But your only having minor malfunctions, and there not that often, so something is just a little off.
Like I posted above when my gun was new (never fired) I was hand cycling snap caps through it to see how it feed and ejected. I loaded 5 snap caps into magazine, inserted mag into gun, pulled slide back and it would not chamber a snap cap. What was happening is that the top round in the magazine was pushing the ejector over against the slide and it was binding the gun up. The ejector was jammed inbetween the top round and the slide. I didn't want to remove any material off the ejector, so I filed some metal off the slide where it was binding until it would cycle snap caps without binding up. Maybe this is what is happening to your gun, but to a lesser extent. You have just a little bit of friction that causes an occational malfunction, and keeps your slide from comming back as far as it should. I'm not gun expert, but I think if you hand cycled some rounds you could tell if you're having the same issues as I was.

tech4064

Bearcat
I don't have any experience with the P95, but on my P90, the recoil spring is larger on one end than the other. If I don't install it correctly ( larger end toward the muzzle) I will experience some of the malfunctions you describe.

However, the P95 might be completely different, so take this for what its worth.

Elfego El Gato

Single-Sixer
I've also had problems with UMC ammo. Try Winchester or another brand. Make sure the gun is clean and lubed (especially along the rails) and that you are holding it firmly when you fire. Also, let an experienced shooter try it. If you're still having problems, then a trip to Ruger *might* be in order.

Recoil spring is locked onto the rod, so you can't really reverse it with out doing more than you need to.

I agree with clean and lube and I think I would put a hundred or two of good ammo threw it before sending it back to ruger.. this might loosen it up and such.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
The p95 is VERY sensitive to limp wristing... You need to be sure the web of your hand between the thumb and finger is as high on the gun as it will go.... My wife was having stovepipe issues with ours... after asking for help here, I noticed that there was about a 1/8" gap between the web of her hand and the part of the grip that sticks out... she moved it up and the problem was solved.... If you dont have your hand ALL the way up, it doesn't matter how tight you hold the gun, you will have problems... As for the slide not catching,,, I would clean and lube the slide stop mechanism REALLY well, the part inside the gun, if its got gunk on it then it could be comming up too slow on the last round to catch..... But that problem could be related to limp wristing too....