New P345?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stevefishes

Bearcat
I've put in my order for a new P345. From what I'm reading on this board I'm not sure I want this firearm. It seems to fit my hand, is about the right size for me to cc, and it's 'enough' gun for self defense, my requirements for a cc pistol. The LGS sold it to me for $479 which seems like a fair price and they offer a lifetime warranty from the store. It just seems there is a lot of unhappiness about this gun here or am I reading more into this than there really is.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
stevefishes":2fnnw0y8 said:
It just seems there is a lot of unhappiness about this gun here or am I reading more into this than there really is.
Steve ... First of all welcome to the forum ... Glad to have you aboard. Secondly, there are many very happy P345 owners around (including me). I have over 2,500 rounds through mine with no issues. As long as you don't dry fire your new P345 without the magazine in place (see manual), it is likely that you will be very happy with your purchase too! IMHO it's the best .45 semi-auto that Ruger has made to date. While the P90 is a fine pistol with a slightly better trigger than the P345, I like the ergonomics on the P345 much better :wink: (also being shorter, narrower and 5 oz lighter than the P90, it's a much easier carry). Good luck with your decision!

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I love my P345, absolutely no problems that were the gun's fault, just some weak reloads. I plan on keeping my P345 until I wear it out, so I've got a long time to go :)

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Ditto...I have one, really have been very pleased with it, and have no plans to ever part with it.

Great 45 caliber semi-auto...relax...you have made a good decision. Respect the one requirement, to never dry fire it wihout the magazine in, and you should never experience any issue.

Most of the "negative press" you read, concerning that specific issue, Ruger technicians told me was more related to very early models. They later made some adjustments to alleviate the cause...they said they then tested it by dry firing it hundreds of times, with no magazine in, without causing any misfire problems.

HOWEVER, they STILL instruct NOT to dry fire the P-345 without the magazine installed. When you get it, first, read your owner' manual.

I think I paid approx. $440 for mine, a little over two years ago...and another $90 for the added Meprolite night sights....but prices have crept upward.

Regards,

MD

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
Over the years I've owned 45 cal semi-auto pistols from Astra, Para Ordnance, Thompson-Auto Ordnance, AMT, Sig, Springfield Armory, Ruger, and probably a few more that I'm leaving out.

Of these, I would take my P345 over any other pistol I have owned; and that includes the two P90's I have owned. 8)

Enjoy your new P345. :wink:

airwin

Bearcat
Hi stevefishes, you will be astonished what a great gun the P345 really is. As an other member here wrote, the P345 is the most underrated .45 at present.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
I wonder if Ruger will eventually use the p345 extractor design for all it's P series pistols. I personally had my "leaf spring" extractor on my p95 become "weak" and I had to bend it a little to get proper tension. A Ruger tech said that the extractor is a cast part that recieves a heat treatment, and that sometimes the treatment doesn't take and tension will lesson over time. To me a pivoting extractor that has tension controlled by a coil spring seems like a more reliable design especially seeing as how almost all other pistol designs have that type of extractor set up. I know some on this forum thing the p345 is going to be a short lived product like the p97, but maybe it will become the dominant design. Who knows, maybe they'll replace the p95 with a 9mm version of the p345 that'll have the newer extractor set up and all those damn saftey features.(magazine disconnect, internal lock, etc.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I just handled a used P345, and can say that if I wasn't already well covered in that caliber I'd pick one up. Very comfortable and ergonomic design. I'm not a big fan of slide-mounted safeties/decockers, but I could probably learn to accept it.

I wouldn't concern myself with Forum bashing. According to the noise on other forums, my Walther PPS is a POS, but mine has been fine. People come to forums to complain more than to praise, it's just human nature.

-- Sam

tightgrouper

Bearcat
It seems to be a good portion of human nature, huh. Where are the positive, happy folks? I also wonder how many of the forum critics actually get out and shoot their guns. What am I thinking?..everybody on the net is a pro.;)

The P345...That's the reason I logged on this evening. I'm probably gonna grab a pistol next week, and I'm thinking about getting a P345. I don't own a .45 at this time, and I'd like to have one. A good, reliable gun is always nice. I absolutely love my P95. The P95 has gained my utmost respect. One fine piece. Very reliable! It's yet to fail me, and I've fed that pistol every kind of ammo I can find. It eats everything. If the P345 is as dependable, well designed, and possibly equipped with a better extractor, then it sounds like I can't go wrong with it.

I'm glad to find this thread. I really like this forum. Doesn't see, to have a crowd of bashers, elitist, whatever else folks have to try to be now days. I've become very partial to the Ruger brand now. Fine firearms that aren't overpriced. Made in the USA. I even bought me a good ole Ruger hat. I'm a Ruger man now. all the way. I need to add that .45 to the collection.

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
I have two .45autos. One is a kimber compact that has been very reliable and accurate. The other is my p345. The ruger eats every kind of ammo, even crappy ammo that would make my 1911 choke. It is light, thin and easy to carry. It is not as accurate as my Kimber, but it is close. I removed the magazine safety and don't worry about dry firing it at all. 2,000+ rounds through it so far. I have been very pleased with it. I hope your new pistol is as trouble free and fun as mine has been. Enjoy!

tdyoung58

Bearcat
I have a P345 and it has served me well without any problems. Was my daily carry gun for more than 2 years

Now I carry a Sig 1911C3 and like it a lot

Latest posts