New Owner: 3 Screw Super Blackhawk(s)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tip

Single-Sixer
First time to post, here.
Let me begin by thanking Bill Hamm & Boge Quinn for their vast knowledge and email correspondence.

I bought my first Super Blackhawk almost 2 weeks ago. It's clearly had some modifications done to it: 4 5/8" bbl., insert on front sight / white outline rear sight, beefed - up mainspring and trigger plunger, trigger job, (I suspect) and non-original Sambar Stag grips (by Eagle Grips).
The grip frame, cylinder, loading gate, and frame are plum-colored. The barrel, ERH, trigger, hammer, and screws are still nitre blue. (The wide spur hammer has had the sides blued.)

This SBH was made in 1962: serial number 8xxx.

2vnj1iw.jpg

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Welcome to the fire. Very nice piece for a first SBH in your heard. The problem with finding a jewel right off is that it`s hard to improve on it for the next one or thirty.
Enjoy!

Tip

Single-Sixer
Chuck 100 yd said:
Welcome to the fire. Very nice piece for a first SBH in your heard. The problem with finding a jewel right off is that it`s hard to improve on it for the next one or thirty.
Enjoy!

Thanks, Chuck!

View of the sights.
29zra74.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome & nice gun!
Bill is a super nice gentleman, and Boge is a good guy as well! (Don't let his looks or growl bother you,, he's harmless,, unless you have a gun HE wants!)
I'm glad both of them helped steer you to our wonderful world of Rugers!

Tip

Single-Sixer
Thank you, Contender.

I happened to come across this pistol at an opportune time and recognized it only for what it is: an early Old Model SBH. Since buying it, I discovered Bill, Jeff, & Boge and their excellent site. My renewed interest in these fine SA Rugers eventually led me here. This site has been a good resource of information, too -and I just got here!

View of left side, showing plum-colored blueing.
w7mpav.jpg

Tip

Single-Sixer
awp101 said:
Chuck 100 yd said:
The problem with finding a jewel right off is that it`s hard to improve on it for the next one or thirty.
No kidding, that's a heck of a way to start off in the field! :mrgreen:

What a great looking rig! And those stag stocks make me weak in the knees...

Thanks, awp, et al!

As unlikely as this is, I actually found my 2nd Super Blackhawk, 4 days after I bought the one pictured above. It's another 3 screw, "Old Model." It is all original and was made in the first 6 months of the SBH line, in early 1960. I'll get pictures up, soon.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Poco Oso said:
I just saw your other Super in that post, and all I can say is, You are one lucky man. This one is even nicer!

Steve,
That's very gracious of you... thank you.
Yes, lucky, blessed, & at the right place at the right time!

I'm not sure which I like more.
Having an original example has helped me spot what has been done to the "cowboy'd-up" example.

Not to mention, the members here have shared a lot of very fine guns!
It's been a hoot to join in!

awp101

Single-Sixer
TX, home of DeeDee Snavely's Used Guns and Weapons
Tip said:
Not to mention, the members here have shared a lot of very fine guns!
It's been a hoot to join in!
Probably too late, but fair warning: Rugers turn into a sickness and there's a BUNCH of enablers around here! :lol:

My fever went into remission for a couple of years but came back with a vengeance a couple of months ago. :mrgreen:

Latest posts