New/Old Vaquero Oddity........................

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I recently came into another Birdshead Vaquero after stupidly selling one off back in 2004 right after they first came out.

Here's the thing.......
1. It's got a 58 prefix - that should tell me that it is indeed an "old" Vaquero as they started with the 510 prefix in 2006 when it was changed to the "New" Vaquero.
2. It does not have the "New Vaquero" stamp on the frame.
3. Cylinder measurements correspond with those of the older Vaq's.
3. Here's the odd thing, the spent casing envelope has a date of 11/30/2009.

I figured it was just sitting in a warehouse somewhere, but I thought they were proofed pretty much immediately after assembly, boxed up and shipped out.

So's I got curious and emailed Ruger. Here's what I sent.........
"I recently acquired a Birdshead Vaquero and am curious as to it's build date. According to the Serial Number History on your website, the 58 prefixed Vaquero's stopped production in 2005. The envelope that contains the fired case that came with this gun has a date of 11/30/2009. I want to verify that it is an "Old" Vaquero, not a "New" Vaquero."

Here's their reply............
Model: KBNV-325X
Shipped: July of 2004, this is the new Vaquero revolver

So, by the date of build (2004), it should be an "old" one.

But they say it was shipped in 2004. If it was shipped in 2004, why wasn't it proofed until November 2009?

What I find funny is this - are they telling me it's a "New Model" Vaquero, or that's it's just a "new" Vaquero? :lol:

I love to over-analyze. :lol:

mattsbox99

Hunter
That is funny, even the model number says it is a New Vaquero; K-stainless, B-Birdshead, NV-New Vaquero.

There have been a lot of recent warehouse cleanups, and this is probably just one. What caliber is it?

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
mattsbox99":3e7dw0vi said:
That is funny, even the model number says it is a New Vaquero; K-stainless, B-Birdshead, NV-New Vaquero.

There have been a lot of recent warehouse cleanups, and this is probably just one. What caliber is it?
Know what's even funnier? It's blued and case colored!!! :lol:

It's in 45 Colt.

Well, they got the Birdshead part right anyhow. ;)

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Well, isn't that interesting............. rollmark on the bottom of mine as well.

Was there ever any final consensus as to the "only 40 or so" of these?

Why would the model number be so far off on this? They just make it up off the top of their head? :D

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
OK, so hold it..................

What if I have to have this repaired at some point by Ruger and the serial number obviously doesn't jive with this gun - what then?

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Vaquero Birdsheads models start with BNVBH the BH at the end is for birdshead.

New Vaqueros models start NV no B at the beginning.

KBNV-325X - Is a Stainless Vaquero 32-20|32M

They have something totally screwed up.

Dana

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
hittman":1avzsr8g said:
Is there any chance they emailed you the wrong model number and a phone call to them is in order to confirm?
That is what I'm thinkin'. I've got the box right here and the end tag states:
BNVBH-453
Model 00511
Case Color

Even if they did screw up in the email response, why does the box tag state "NV" when the frame is not stamped as New Vaquero (or am I still confused on the "old" vs. "new" thing with these Vaq's?) and why does the cylinder measure the same as the old Vaq?

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what's up. I may send another email as well just for redundancy's sake.

I look at it and it certainly is not a new model, but I sure am curious. I'm really wanting to shoot some of my 300gr hardcasts out of this thing.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Evan;

What Dana said.

You pretty much know what you have. I bet Ruger looked up the wrong serial number.

The BNV=Blackhawk New Vaquero or Vaquero was based on the New Model Blackhawk cylinder frame, prefix 55 thru 58, and roll-marked "Ruger Vaquero" on the frame

The NV=New Vaquero is a mid-size cylinder frame, same size as the original flattop Ruger Blackhawk and XR3 shape grip frame. Prefix 510 to date. It is roll-marked "Ruger New Vaquero" on the frame.

I guess that made sense to someone when they thought it through. :roll:

I really want to watch you shoot some 300 hard cast with that little grip. :D

A

Anonymous

I know you have measured the cylinder, but have you taken any measurements to ascertain the size of the frame?

I understand that the new Vaquero frames are smaller than the original Vaquero frames.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Both Vaqueros have "NV" in their model letter Key.

Original Vaqueros have a "B" key for "Blackhawk" as in "BNV" blue Blackhawk New Model Vaquero.

New Vaqueros do not use the letter "B" just "NV" as in blue New Vaquero.

Original Blue Vaquero birdshead = BNVBH or Stainless......KBNVBH

New Vaquero blue birdshead = NVBH or Stainless......KNVBH

BH at the end of the letter code is for "BirdsHead".

I've got the box right here and the end tag states:
BNVBH-453
Model 00511
Case Color

The Original Vaquero was called a New Model Vaquero. The New Vaquero is called a New Vaquero because it is the most recent Ruger New Vaquero. Not new model, just newer than the original (and smaller). 8)

I CAN"T DO THIS ANY MORE. :? :p

chet15

Hawkeye
Let us know how you come out.
Every old style Vaquero after at least serial number 58-96020 and up are "cleanup" guns. You can also tell they are "cleanup" guns because the rollmark will be on the underside of the barrel. This rollmark position change didn't occur on the New Vaquero until somewhere between 510-15099 and 510-16720...a point in time when the old Vaquero had been dropped from the catalog.
Chet15

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
308longdistance":2uvr0176 said:
I really want to watch you shoot some 300 hard cast with that little grip. :D
Don't scare me! :lol:

I found a yutube video of someone shooting 260gr Speer JHP in front of 20gr of H110...........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyaGQvODMwI

I have a bunch of 300gr Cast performance LFNGC in front of 21.5gr of H110 that worked pretty slick out of a 4" Redhawk.

I have a feeling they are gonna thump though! I might only shoot one. :lol:

Thanks to you and the others for clearing all of this up for me, I really appreciate it! :D

Hope I didn't give you a headache. ;)

Terry T

Buckeye
I'm a little confused about your confusion but - I think what I'm hearing is that the label on the box really doesn't properly describe the gun inside.

Since these are 'clean up' guns, I think the 'label makers' didn't know what they were dealing with and just did the best they could knowing that Vaqueros were no longer being manufactured, they used New Vaquero markings on the label.

I have a 'clean up' 5" Old Army and the box label is marked '45 cal'. rather then the proper .44.

Labels are now computer genterated one at a time (bar code and ser. no. are on the label) instead of buying a stack preprinted by an outside printer like everyone did in the old days. So some 'newbe' on a computer on the end of the assembly line, maybe in shipping, is trying to figure out these special 'clean up' runs and doing the best he can. I'll even bet that his 'drop down menu' of model types doesn't have Vaqueros on it any more. End result is fun for us collectors - mistakes on labels or roll marks really make a collector's day! :D

Just my $0.02 worth.
Terry T

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Terry T":dahryj6t said:
I'm a little confused about your confusion.....

Don't worry, so am I. :lol:

I actually think I got it now. I had a real nice lady from Ruger call yesterday and we got the serial number straightened out.

Seems it was built in Nov of '09 and shipped in December. I asked about the "cleanup" business and although she didn't know any particulars, she did say that sort of thing wasn't surprising. Sometimes they come across pieces and parts and build 'em up. Makes sense to me. ;)

bearclaw

Bearcat
I ended up with one of those cleanup case color Birshead also with a serial number staring with 58-. Is this a good thing?

EDK

Single-Sixer
bearclaw said:
I ended up with one of those cleanup case color Birshead also with a serial number staring with 58-. Is this a good thing?

The larger guns (like yours) arer starting to bring a little premium. The birdshead grip is another goody that increases value. I hope you saved the box and papers.

I bought a used one in 357, 4 5/8 and blue/cch, years back and sold it for a profit and got a 44. BISLEY VAQUERO. I just couldn't get comfortable with it.