New No.1 Owner

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GP100 Mike

Bearcat
As you can see by my login I have spent most of my time pistol shooting.
Recently I was in our local gun shop here in Brisbane, Australia and I saw a Ruger no. 1 in.270, as I said I've no experience with long arms but I was instantly addicted. I went home and read every thing I could about the No1 on the Net, the more I read the more I wanted one. I can't explain why I wanted that rifle, I just had to have it.
The next week i went back and bought it. Now then, as I said before, I had read a lot on the net and there seemed to be many conflicting stories on how to get them to shoot the most accurately.
Is the one source anyone could recommend so I can get the correct advise and do everything right the first time. This is such a magnificent firearm I want to do the best for it. Thanks in advance. Mike in Oz.

wunbe

Buckeye
If it is a new model -- black recoil pad --- there is just a chance it will do very nicely w/o any serious tinkering except for trigger work to get a crisp release @ 3lbs and, maybe, a serious recoil pad.

With no background in shooting long arms, however, you will need to be fair in judging between the rifle's mechanical performance and your development of good rifle shooting techniques. Recoil will be a different expereince that you must master along the way. The .270 is not a punsishing round but it will give you a fast jab. An expereinced hand can be a fgreat help in getting you started off right.

Some tips. I find that shooting a single shot rifle from the bench, you must concentrate on not fring again until you are in the exact same position each time. Reloading can distract you. Also the front stock hand and rest should be fairly close to the receiver for best groups.

Ruger #1s should have an addiction warning on them. You sound like a lot of us did after the first of many purchases.

Good luck.
wunbe

Ruger # 1

Bearcat
Mike,
You asked, for one source anyone could recommend so I can get the correct advise and do everything right the first time. that would probably be the Ruger # 1 Group at:

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/RUGER-1

With well over 1250 members in the group of # 1 Shooters, Hunters, and Collectors there's a lot of help to be had. Right now there winding down the Ruger # 1 Bench Rest shoot for this year. there's also a lot of articles in the Files section of the group written by the members on how to get the # 1 to shoot like a target rifle.
Ruger # 1 Guy.

GP100 Mike

Bearcat
It is a new model Wunbe, so I will get the trigger work done as you suggest and I have taken note of the front hand close to the receiver.
Thanks for the address of the Yahoo Ruger Group Guy, I'll get in touch, and finally thanks to El Numero Uno for the name of a book to get and where to get it.
Many thanks to you guys. Mike.

picketpin

Buckeye
You'll be sorry!! :)

A year from now when you own 2 or 3 you'll be asking yourself what the Heck happened.

Then one fine morning you'll wake up and you'll own 5 or 6 and wonder how that happened and why you quit buying anything other than #1s.

I'm not sure of the Australian equivilent of patato chips, but #1s are like that, nobody owns just one. ;-)

the best

Ross

OIF2

Single-Sixer
Roger that! I just got number four and I'm already looking for the next one...
Bob

GP100 Mike

Bearcat
I've encountered my first problem!! When I fitted a scope to the rifle I can't get it far enough back to see a full picture. Any tips on how to get it closer to my eye?

GP100 Mike":18wun54j said:
I've encountered my first problem!! When I fitted a scope to the rifle I can't get it far enough back to see a full picture. Any tips on how to get it closer to my eye?

Ruger sells, and I think Midway does too, offset medium height Ruger scope rings. I have some on a couple of my #1's.........here's a set on a 1-H 405 Win.

405range003.jpg

Godd luck!
Dave :wink:

A

Anonymous

Mike just shoot your rifle before you start tinkering. I would not be surprised if you find it shoots fine as it is. I have had 5 different #1s my buddy 5 and my brother 2 and all have shot just fine and by that I mean as well as a good bolt action out of the box. Probably the worst was my 7x57 #1 A and it shot about 2.5" groups. I had a 22-250 that would put 3 shots in your thumb nail.

GP100 Mike

Bearcat
Dave, looking at your picture of the rings, my turret in the middle of the scope is back against the rear ring but I have about the same amount of room as you do in the front ring. As they are sold singularly (At Au$80.00)
I thought if they are the same hight as the originals, I could just get one.
What do you think?? Mike.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
G'day Mike,
If your rings are medium height, which I believe all Rugers come with these days, then all you need is one "offset" ring and they should interchange without any problem. This is the setup I have on one of my No. Ones.
The alternative that no one has mentioned is to find a different scope that's either longer (comes back farther) or has more eye relief. I have mostly older scopes on my guns because 1. they tend to fit better and have longer eye relief and 2. they look better and for me, looks is a lot of what owning Ruger No. Ones is about.
Lance

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I don't know about aftermarket rings but Ruger offset rings are the same height as standard rings and you can use just one where you need it. My guess would be any aftermarket rings would be the same also but I would call the seller and verify if it isn't stated in their description.

GP100 Mike":1g1zvw8v said:
Dave, looking at your picture of the rings, my turret in the middle of the scope is back against the rear ring but I have about the same amount of room as you do in the front ring. As they are sold singularly (At Au$80.00)
I thought if they are the same hight as the originals, I could just get one.
What do you think?? Mike.

As stated, one may work just fine. The rings on the rifle shown came in a Ruger package as a set. I scrounged them up at a gunshow and got a real good deal. I don't know if you can get just one ring, but good luck anyway.

Dave

picketpin

Buckeye
Time to get yelled at. I use 1st Generatiuon Burris Fullields, Burris Signatures and Black Diamonds along with a variety of Leupolds.

None of them have ever required the use of offset rings. The "new" Short Mag series etc are where you run into problems.

It has nothing to do with optics and everything to do with asthetics. I just think they look ugly as sin on a #1.

If you would like to swap I have a factory Ruger offset in Blue that came on a used #1. I'll swap you for a medium or low standard ring.

The hight from the bottom inside of the ring to the base on this one is .429. Anything that hight or lower would be fine for me.

Ross

GP100 Mike

Bearcat
Dave, I took your advice and bought 1 offset ring for the rear mount.
As I had room to move on the front ring I didn't have to replace that one.
What a difference a small movement has made, now I get the perfect eye relief. Thank you very much for you suggestion. I'll keep in touch. Mike.

dmazur

Bearcat
I have a Limbsaver on a .30-06 #1 and a Pachmyer Decelerator on a .243.

The Limbsaver is very soft. As long as you don't treat it roughly, it will probably survive for a few years. The Pachmyer is almost as good at reducing recoil, and it appears to be more durable.

As it's a .270, I think I wouldn't use the Limbsaver...unless you can give it a pampered life. :)