New Model Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunguru

Bearcat
Will new smaller frame in 357 mag hold up to steady diet of magnum loads?

REP1954

Blackhawk
Not a problem at all even thou it's a medium frame it's still a very strong gun for a 357 cylinder and frame.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
The cylinder is beefier than either a GP100 or L-Frame S&W. And the action parts are as strong as a large-frame Ruger SA. So yeah, you can slam the big stuff in big amounts on either the NewVaq357 or the 50th Blackhawk 357, it's adjustable-sight cousin.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Why chamber it in that if it couldn't :? It would have to meet SAAMI specs and then some (tested with proof loads).

So yeah, you can slam the big stuff in big amounts on either the NewVaq357 or the 50th Blackhawk 357, it's adjustable-sight cousin.

Hope by "big stuff" you're not referring to the "Ruger only" loads which are above and beyond SAAMI specs and NOT suitable for these medium framed models.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
There's no such thing as a "Ruger only" 357 load. Not from any manufacturer, period, end of discussion.

There are some handloading notes available for the two strongest 357 wheelguns ever made: the Ruger Redhawk in 357 and the FA '83 five-shot 357. Some hit 60,000psi. But no manufacturer has ever loaded such stuff, let alone labeled it "Ruger ONLY!!!"

The heaviest, hottest 357 ammo I know of is the Buffalo Bore full-house stuff followed by Doubletap's best. Buffalo Bore is very likely loading to the old SAAMI spec of 43k instead of 35k. You can shoot large amounts of 43k 357s up around 800ft/lbs energy in the mid-frames. No problem.

IF you re-chamber a Ruger 357 mid-frame to 45LC, you'll face the same pressure limits you'd hit in a NewVaq45 - due to thinner cylinder walls.

Rclark

Hunter
And of course the obligatory statement : There is only the Vaquero and New Vaquero ... Both are New Model revolvers :) .

The New Vaquero IS the proper frame size for the .357 cartridge. You'd be hard-pressed to hurt one.
+1. very hard pressed.....

batmann

Single-Sixer
While I have not shot Buffalo Bore's in .357 I have shot Double Tap's 158 gr HP in my mid-frame 50th and while it probably won't hurt the gun, it is a stout load.

dipper

Bearcat
Buffalo Bore makes this claim for all their heavy .357 loads:

"Our 357 mag. ammo adds more power than ever before to the 357 mag. This ammo is safe to shoot in ANY all steel 357 revolver - this includes J frames. This ammo is no harder on your gun than any other normal 357 ammo. Please don't phone us and ask if this ammo is safe in your gun. It is, providing your gun is in safe condition for use with any normal 357 ammo."

"We don't recommend this ammo to be fired in super light alloy revolvers as bullets may jump crimp under recoil, but the ammo itself wont hurt these super light weight revolvers. These revolvers are simply so light that the recoil is severe enough to cause crimp jump."

So, I would think that it does not make any higher pressures than any other commercial load.

Latest posts