New Model Super Blackhawk Bisley BONUS BONUS BONUS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

48flyer

Single-Sixer
I'll start this short story with a question.
Can someone please tell me What exactly do I have here? and what is CSA at the end?
It is NOT FOR SALE, but what the heck is it worth?
I picked up a very nice Super Blackhawk at a show this weekend and the guy selling it had no idea what he had. He just wanted to get rid of it.
To be honest I wasn't quite sure either, but I knew there was something SPECIAL about it.
It has a 5 5/8 Barrel, (That's right. I said 5 5/8") with a wonderful crowning on the end. The blued finish is absolutely gorgeous on it.
It had an odd looking base pin installed.
It had a checkered ejector rod and hammer.
It sported beautiful Rosewood Ruger BISLEY grips!
I talked with him a bit and we settled on price of $450, so he wouldn't have to take it home with him

After getting it home and inspecting the contents of the original box it came with, I found a little hand written reciept tucked inside the owners manual.
This is what it said.

Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk Work performed by "Badlands Bill Oglesby"
Hunter Package $125.00
Hardened Cylinder Bushing $45.00
Remove Cylinder Shake $15.00
Oversized Stainless Base Pin (Colt Style) $40.00
Oversized & Hardened, Hand Fitted $18.00
Oversized Bolt Fitted $75.00
Cylinder Notches, Fitted and Timed $5.00
Window in Frame Fitted $5.00
Cut Barrel and Crown Muzzle $90.00
Re-Blue Entire Gun $125.00
Reattach Front and Install Rear Sights $15.00
Test Fire $15.00
Shop Fee $5.00
CSA (Value $100 Fitted to Gun) Gift from Mr. Oglesby N/C

Total Labor $578

DSC04621_zps13e91c12.jpg

DSC04616_zps9a8cc37f.jpg

DSC04614_zps2ec08ee8.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
You have a custom done gun by a known Cowboy Action Shooter, Bill Oglesby. I don't know what CSA stands for.
I'd say you got a nice gun at a very good price. How does it shoot?

flatgate

Hawkeye
Confederate States of America.........

Hey, just 'cuz I live in Wyomin' doesn't mean I ain't a "Friend of the South".

flatgate Born in Biloxi :D

RoverSig

Bearcat
I think it is good deal.

The seller knew it is a Ruger revolver, and had access to the papers, and did not apply the due diligence to ascertain its worth, which may be more than you paid but perhaps not; that's a lick on him, not you. Nothing was hidden from him. He simply made the choice to handle the sale that way.

It is unlikely he paid for the extra work, or he'd remember.

The proof of all of this is in looking at what would happen if you went back to him and pointed out that the gun might be worth more that you paid for it (and implicitly more than he paid for it, too). How much more? He is singularly incapable of judging. Certainly, it is not the list price on the services provided -- those are entirely subjective in value and were agreed upon only once in time and between two unique individuals -- the buyer and seller at the time.

Even if you knew about all of these extras before the sale, the seller did not -- you have no obligation to tell him to ask for more money for the sale! Whatever you know about the value of the item is yours to benefit from.

And this is NOT like the case of the million dollar Monet painting in the frame behind the seed store advertisement that was bought at a yard sale for $5 -- although in that more ambiguous case, the buyer is the still the winner and the seller has no recourse. (If he knew he had a Monet, and it got caught up in some papers by mistake, and mistakenly transferred to a buyer -- then the seller has a right to get it back).

It's a good deal. You benefit from the luck of the game. Go with it.

EDK

Single-Sixer
CSA is Competition Strut Assembly, a mainspring strut with adjustment for hammer over travel. Used to be in Brownells catalog.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Looks good to me. Oglesby is 'mostly' well reputed. I'd say you both did very well considering that no one involved knew what they had. You should be happy getting a lot of gun for the money and the seller is probably tickled to have his $450. I wouldn't look any deeper than that.

48flyer

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all of the responses. I have not had a chance go test fire it yet, but I'm lookinig forward to it!
I did see a few things online about the gunsmith.
He seems like a good guy, but of course there are those who take some shots at him. I guess thats to be expected if you're good at what you do. It makes me want to shoot it even more!

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Looks like a great find. Nice looking gun. I bet it shoots like a dream. What is it worth? Got no idea. Can figure what it cost to build it. But then you got to find a CSA shooter who wants one if you want to make money from it. I would go shoot it.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Looks like you got a great bargain, period. As is usually the case, the original purchaser seldom gets full value for a custom gun and the 2nd hand buyer gets a good deal. Looks like it has a Bowen Rough Country rear sight which must be part of the Hunter package. The only direct reference to it is the fitting charge of $15.

It'll probably shoot like 'new money'! Enjoy and let us know.