New Model Super Bearcat - 22 LR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
The only Bearcat revolver I've seen is an old model - thirty-some-odd years ago. I was not favorably impressed.

Is new model Super Bearcat a more precise machine?
1. What standard of accuracy should be expected from the revolver?

2. Is its grip frame sufficient to maintain a firm grip during use?

3. Please identify gunsmiths who offer installation of an adjustable rear (and front??) sight?

4. How transparently, how difficult is it, to align chambers with ejector rod, poor alignment causing wear on chambers' dimensions and deteriorating accuracy?

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
About 25 years ago I bought myself a Chrismas present at a local gun show. It was an in the box, as new (old) Bearcat. Man that was the single biggest disappointment I ever saw: at 25 feet it shot 2 feet high and 3 feet to the left.

I didn't keep it very long. And back then I was too stupid to send it back to Ruger.

Anyway, when the new Bearcats hit the shelves, I had the opportunity to shoot 3 of them owned by friends of mine.

I beat feet to my local shooter's emporium and bought one for myself. At 50 feet I can group a cylinder full into a circle drawn around a silver dollar.... color me HAPPY!! I can head shoot a sitting-still-bunny with it at 50 feet. That's good enough for me.

As for the grip - I have big hands and I can hold it with no problem - but caveat emptor: as with shoes, one size does not always fit all :wink:

Honestly, if it was offered with adjustable sights, I'd buy one, but the fact is I'm impressed with the fixed sight on the one I have.

As well, I'm not unhappy with any facet of this piece and I consider it a real asset. The Bearcat is almost always tossed into my kit when I head out into the boonies.

flatgate

Hawkeye
The Ruger New Bearcat uses a "half cock" loading system. Voila! The chambers line up with the ejector rod on the "click"....

109357148.jpg

Above is the lockwork. Note the cool "Wide Spur" hammer and its' half cock notch!

flatgate

PS Alan Harton does some fantastic work on the New Bearcats, including a S&W style rear sight.

If the Bearcat grip is too small for you--use both hands. I have big hands and I've been shooting one for almost 50 years. It's a lot lighter than a backpack full of food!

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Not to be impolite. You say you saw the gun. The question I have did you shoot the gun. If you shot the gun how many rounds did you fire? How many different types of ammo did you shoot and at what distances?

I wish Ruger produced a Bearcat type revolver in medium and large bore. Then we would not have all this switching of gripframes. Also there would be plenty of room a shooter's hand. Let us not forget the lock work.

The subject is the Bearcat. I have large hands. I shoot the Bearcat as is. If you can find a loaner to shoot. I suggest you do that before you make the sizable commitment with a custom smith to change a gun from the way it was designed to function to the way you want it to work. It may not live up to your expectations. Calthrop

G2

Hunter
I sure like mine, a Harton .22 Magnum. :shock: :shock:
I was going to send it back to Ruger and make it a convertable (fyi $160), BUT after shooting it, , , , WHY :D :D way too much fun w/ the heat.
P1010006-5.jpg

It's real smooth, timing perfect, Love the wide Hammer Spur, and yes the neat half cock/ load is cool too.
I have Big O'l thick paws and works just fine. Definitely Ruger's little Gem.

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
I bought a New Model Bearcat stainless. Horrific weather is preventing me from picking it up, perhaps for a week?

I'll first shoot it for groups with my two 22 LR cartridges - having regularized bullets with Hanned's bump tool. If groups are acceptable, existing sights will be adjusted for point of aim, and that's that.

If groups are unacceptable, I'll check with Tim or Lew at Grizzly Custom Guns in Columbia Falls. If they'll tune and tighten the mechanism, and install adjustable sight system, they get the job. And that will be that.

If Grizzly cannot do the work, I'll query the gunsmiths you've identified as working on Bearcats. One of them will get the job. And that will be that.
I'll have a superfluous Ruger Mark III Target pistol, 5-1/2 inch barrel, with Ruger Mark II's hammer bushing installed to eliminate the magazine disconnect, etc., etc. Anybody interested?

Zeus

Blackhawk
Most of you have seen this one before but just in case....this one was redone by Alan Harton for my son....

100_0060.jpg

100_0056.jpg

100_0058.jpg

100_0076.jpg

100_0057.jpg

100_0061.jpg

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
I notice several different adjustable rear sight assemblies. Please identify them and, if possible, their approximate cost. I don't know how much top strap thickness affects choice of rear sight assembly, or whether production assemblies can be used/adapted - such as, Freedom Arms' M97, S&W's "K" or "J" frame, etc. I recognize that asking is premature; probably this would be where the gunsmith's expertise becomes paramount. But Tim doesn't normally work on revolvers.

kentdep

Single-Sixer
Zeus":puemb892 said:
Most of you have seen this one before but just in case....this one was redone by Alan Harton for my son....

100_0060.jpg

100_0056.jpg

My gosh I really like the looks of that one! I have seen it before but I do not get tired of looking at it! I have to get me one of those! :D

Jay