New Model Single Six .17 HMR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BrandonS

Bearcat
I just picked up a .17 HMR Single Six revolver (serial number shows manufacture date of 2004) that has never been shot!
It was impulse... opportunity met ability and now it is mine.
I hit the range out in the desert on Saturday and plan on putting a few rounds through it.

Has anyone shot this model? Thoughts? (sure, ask the questions AFTER purchasing :) )

Thanks!

sandman228

Single-Sixer
a while back I was in the market for a 17 hmr revolver , I wanted a single six but ended up with a heritage instead due to availability . it was ok to shoot kinda fun accuracy wasn't bad my trouble was ejecting the emptys. the empty cases would kick back a bit in the cylinder and would cause the cylinder to jam while trying to spin it to the eject the next empty .the only thing that seemed to help was keeping the gun pointed downward to eject the emptys and sometimes I had to tap it on the bench a bit to move the empty case forward enough to spin the cylinder .sometimes I just had to remove the cylinder to get them out. I e mailed heritage about this and they pretty much said it was the nature of the beast and that I must have gotten someones new old stock because that revolver had been out of production for about 7 yrs. I don't know if the ruger had the same issues or not but it wouldn't surprise me if it did, im not saying none of them will work but ive heard from others and kinda agree with it myself that revolvers just aren't meant to fire with bottleneck cases . I know at one time ruger ,Taurus ,and heritage and possibly others made a 17 hmr revolver and to the best of my knowledge all are discontinued. im not trying to rain on your parade nor am I saying your revolver is garanteed to be problematic I hope for your sake its not, im just telling my experience with that caliber of revolver I ended up selling mine a few months after I bought it and yes I made sure I told the buyer of the issue .

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a pair of 17 HMR Single-Sixes. One is a Hunter Convertible. One is a NRA limited edition. I've only shot my Hunter. No problems with it in any form. With either cylinder.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
BrandonS

Here is Jeff …Ruger's New Single-Six .17 HMR
www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SingleSix-17.htm

Bill

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The 17HMR guns can really shoot some impressive groups. I have a shootin pal who uses it exclusively for headshots on the big Abert's squirrels around here. I've watched him tumble them out of the tall pines with confidence!
The blued 17HMR guns are most numerous/still offerred, but the stainless versions are very low in numbers. Some say a couple hundred max, some say more, but no real proof of numbers higher than 300 (in sporadic releases) from Ruger in SS. The Hunter versions can be hard to find, with very low numbers in the convertible Hunter. I've seen the blued guns sell as a solid $400 gun, sometimes a bit lower if you get lucky. It's not unusual to see a SS 6.5" or Hunter fetch $575 and up! Condition is everything of course.

I bet you'll really like the accuracy when you find the best factory stuff for your particular gun. It'll tell you exactly how small you can hit!

BrandonS

Bearcat
Just got back from the range. The New Model Single Six 17 HMR shot beautifully. The cylinder had absolutely no hang-ups on the casings while ejecting or spinning the cylinder just to see if it would hang up.

Accurate, and a beauty to handle. You gotta try one (and the muzzle velocity... WOW!)!