new model/ old model grip frame???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

240gr&up

Bearcat
Are the old model and new model blackhawk grip frames interchangable? Can you mount a old model frame on a new model gun? Furthermore, did they make any old model Bisleys in STAINLESS???

c.r.

Single-Sixer
The grip frames are interchangeable between old and new models. However, I believe the new model "medium" frame guns require the "tabs" be filed off though.

All bisleys are new models. they were not available as an Old Model. It is possible to fit a bisley grip frame to an old model. The trick is the hammer though. There are no old model bisley hammers......the trick is to have a smith replace the standard spur with a bisley spur.

I also believe David Clements produces batches of bisley hammers for old model lockwork from time to time. Power Custom MIGHT also have something that will work. i know they had some bisley stuff made up to use with their #5 grip frame on old models.

that's probably a lot more than you wanted to know, so just sift through the poop :) And welcome to the forum

~c.r.

An old model grip frame will fit, but without making a block to hold the triger plunger it will not be functional. Someone here has made the block and posted how. I think flatgate was the one, but I am not 100% sure.

David Clements does make a hammer/trigger set that lets you use a new model bisley grip frame on an old model gun.

Spence-6Guns017-1.jpg

Picture001.jpg

David also makes an old model bisley spurred hammer for a regular framed gun as well.
IMG_0187.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
Installation of a New Model grip frame on an Old Model Ruger S.A. requires fabrication of a simple "trigger spring" carrier.

44617540.jpg

The above image shows the part installed in an aftermarket brass grip frame designed for the New Models.

flatgate