New Model Old Model Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sharps40

Buckeye
Gently warmed all over to ouch temperature and the multi purpose semi-natural lube sealer melts. More is applied with a patch and scrubbed in all over.

z1lfx90.jpg

Leave it on thick and glossy and let it cool.

Hi7TOyZ.jpg

Once cooled, rub it out and reassemble.

5NpN4JR.jpg

From here out the exterior finish on this one gets no more complex attention than given the finish of any muzzleloader. A light wipe down with a water based solvent as needed and a touch of any good muzzleloading bore lube/preservative. In my case, Bore Butter since its not necessary to warm the metal for regular maintenance. Any more rust that crops up goes unnoticed since its brown, naturally, the guts will be cleaned and lightly oiled as with any good firearm. But this finish couldn't be easier to apply, maintain and will look even better with age and use.

YRPjumX.jpg

Sharps40

Buckeye
A little light shooting today with 38 Special and 9mm.

The 9mm are wonderfully accurate and even milder to shoot than the 38s. Glad to have fitted the conversion cylinder from an Old Model to this Old Model Tribute Frame. Cheeper and much more available than 22 LR and scads of free brass for the pickings on the ranges. I think this cylinder will get a real work out for practice.

I need to fire some 357 mags. I may need a taller front sight or to lower the rear a tad with a stone but we shall see. Its likely I'll buy a new front sight a bit taller since my old eyes are working best these days with the red flurescent beads.

Overall, I like the grips now that I've shot them. The feel is much different than the traditional thin topped grips. But, I'll withhold final judgement until I give it a workout with some good 200g lead bullet loads in the magnum cases.