New Model Blackhawk with Old Model recessed cylinder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just bought a used in very good condition New Model Blackhawk .45 pre warning, looks like hardly ever shot or carried. Serial range 46-025XX dates it to 1973! Come to find out it has a recessed cylinder like the Old Models! Do I have an anomaly or was this common in the transition from Old to New models?

Thanks, 45Colt_Man! My plans for this revolver were to convert it to a "Super" Blackhawk in .45 Colt, by changing the grip frame, hammer, trigger, and (rechambered) cylinder to "Super" format. When I bought this revolver, I never even thought to examine the cylinder. I bought a NM .44 Mag cylinder to use in this project, but now see I need an "old Model" cylinder. Can an Old Model .44 Mag recessed cylinder be re-chambered to .45?

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
You can use the NM 44 cylinder you already have and get it rechambered to 45. They just used up the leftover OM cylinders in the transition, but a regular NM cylinder will work. You're good to go.

contender

Ruger Guru
Bill Ruger didn't believe in wasting anything,, if it saved money. And during the changes in gun models over the decades,, he'd use up old parts on newer designs if possible. If you study the "Variations" or as we collectors call them,, "Type's" you will see what we mean.
From minor changes,, say,, from a flat loading gate to a round loading gate,, to the "transition" era in 1963,, to the OM to NM transition in 1973,, all are but a few examples.
So, as noted above,, finding an early NM with the cylinder like that is correct.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
I have a NM blackhawk manufactured in 1974 that I believe has old model cylinders. It is a convertible. Comparing the cylinders to NM cylinders reveals a lot of differences in dimensions between the cylinders in the 1974 production and later NM pieces. The OA length. The height of the front boss. The height of the ratchet boss. Enough differences , in the cylinders, to make me believe the cylinders are , perhaps, left over NOS. Could I be wrong in my beliefs ?

kevin masten

Blackhawk
I am thinking you might, indeed, need an OM cylinder. The truth will be revealed in the measurements from the forcing cone to the recoil plate and then make sure the headspace is correct for the rerecessed chambers . Then the space from the face of the cylinder to the forcing cone.

This is not an issue that I have seen much discussed on the forum. I accidentally discovered the possibility when I got the cylinders mixed up and realized that NOS cylinders might have been used during the transition from old to new models; and then I read then post and lo and behold it probably did happen. I hope others will offer their input on this. I could see this being done during production. All I do know is that later NM cylinders will not work in my earlier NM BH. The later NM cylinders could be made to fit, I am sure. Interesting anyway.

I just measured the frames from forcing cone to recoil plate on the 1973 NM Blackhawk and a 1977 NM Blackhawk that I have. The 1977 Blackhawk measures 1.774" and the 1973 measures 1.667" - that is almost 1/8" difference! Also measured a 2002 Blackhawk, and it measures 1.773". My conclusion is it is not possible to adapt a NM cylinder to a NM gun that was fitted with an OM cylinder without major gunsmith work with mill or lathe. Not even worth doing. So then back to the question I asked before - can an OM .44 Mag recessed cylinder be re-chambered to .45 Colt?

kevin masten

Blackhawk
I do believe the cylinder can be rechambered and possibly fitted to your frame; finding someone to do the work would be the question. Would it not be feasible to locate an OM cylinder chambered in 45LC? I am not current with the measurements of the 45LC cylinder versus the 44 mag to include the diameters of the two as well as other differences. Never thought about the issue prior to this thread.

hittman

Staff member
kevin masten said:
I do believe the cylinder can be rechambered and possibly fitted to your frame; finding someone to do the work would be the question.

Fermin Garza comes to mind .... goes by two dogs here I think.

Kevin Masten, I already have an OM cylinder in .45 LC! My project was to put together a "Super Blackhawk" in .45, so I need an unfluted cylinder. My mistake is I bought an early "New/Old" model in .45 that has a OM recessed cylinder. That is why I was asking if a OM .44 Mag "unfluted" cylinder can be rechambered to .45. That seems to be more doable than trying to adapt a NM cylinder to fit my gun. The measurements I mentioned above tell me that it would be more complicated than its worth to try to adapt a NM cylinder to my gun. I didn't know Fermin Garza was a gunsmith? Thought he just sells sights. Ever since John Gallagher died, I am unaware of anybody who can do small jobs like this for a reasonable price. So again, my question remains - can an OM .44 Mag cylinder be rechambered to .45?

hittman

Staff member
Fermin fixed up am OM 30 Carbine for me a couple of years ago, then sent it to Bobby Tyler for bluing.

Assume he still performs that work ....won't hurt to ask him.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
And to your question, I say it probably can be done if the 44 mag cylinder will fall Within the tolerances You will have to work with the 45LC frame opening. If the 44 mag cylinder is too large for the frame opening, then the cylinder will have to be turned down to fit withing that opening. You will still have , of course, the unfluted cylinder you desire. Cost wise is where I was going with my earlier post.

Latest posts