New Model Blackhawk Convertible

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Merle1948

Buckeye
thirdgen17":59t7p0se said:
Most of the 9's I would be shooting would be FMJ. Will this be a problem? Also will the convertible handle 9mm +p?

I'm not an expert on 9mm pressures, but if you look up the pressure rating of a 9mm +P and compare it to a 357 Mag, you'll get your answer.

8) 8) 8)

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have 3 convertable rugers I like the idea and have the 357 convertable its the only one I have tried all the ammo in. It shoots fine with the 9mm almost no recoil and hits where you hold it after adjusting the sights. My wife loves to shoot it she liked the 38's also in this gun she doesn't care for the 357's. 9mm ammo is cheaper than 38's in wal-mart. It's one of the few that I don't reload for but I would be hard pressed to load it as cheap as it sell's for.

Merle1948

Buckeye
Tommy Kelly":2t4p0cv8 said:
I have 3 convertable rugers I like the idea and have the 357 convertable its the only one I have tried all the ammo in. It shoots fine with the 9mm almost no recoil and hits where you hold it after adjusting the sights. My wife loves to shoot it she liked the 38's also in this gun she doesn't care for the 357's. 9mm ammo is cheaper than 38's in wal-mart. It's one of the few that I don't reload for but I would be hard pressed to load it as cheap as it sell's for.

Yeah. and FWIW I've had more problems reloading 9mm than all other pistol calibers combined. The only other one I found to be troublesome is the 45 Auto Rim, and it appears to share some of the same problems.

The 9mm's I have worked with have varied greatly as to case length & mouth thickness among different brands, and sometimes different lots of the same brand. It turns out to be easier to consider each brand to be a law unto itself, stick to that brand and adjust your dies & procedures to suit. I had the best luck with Remington brass.

As for the Auto Rim, it seems to suffer greatly from too thin case thickness at the mouth. I have had a great deal of problem getting proper case / bullet tension to get reliable & complete combustion and clean burning loads. Finally on the third set of dies I found a winning combination!

Good luck, but keep in mind you may be able to develop a cheaper & more accurate load, if you use cast bullets.

:) :) :)

TomC321

Bearcat
I'm not sure what the problem with .45 AR is. I reload .45 ACP and .45 AR on my Dillon 550 with the same dies and settings, switching only the shell plate. I taper crimp both the .45 ACP and .45 AR. They work fine for me and are very accurate. I use Starline and Remington brass. I have been using WW231 for years, but I am now experimenting with Titegroup. Both seem to be fine.

Merle1948

Buckeye
TomC321":19nt8icy said:
I'm not sure what the problem with .45 AR is. I reload .45 ACP and .45 AR on my Dillon 550 with the same dies and settings, switching only the shell plate. I taper crimp both the .45 ACP and .45 AR. They work fine for me and are very accurate. I use Starline and Remington brass. I have been using WW231 for years, but I am now experimenting with Titegroup. Both seem to be fine.

First of all I am using swaged or cast bullets - not jacketed.

The problem with the AR is that the die won't size it down far enough. When I look into the case mouth of the RP brand, the brass is visibly thinner than the ACP.

Even without using the expander plug, I get almost no case/bullet tension with .451 bullets, and only a hair more with .452 bullets. I can easily push the bullet down into the case using one thumb.

I have used three different die sets marked ACP / AR, with the last one being from Lee, and designated for the AR only. Neither the RCBS nor the Lyman were satisfactory, but the Lee was much better possibly because of the roll vs taper crimp.

I have just gotten some Starline brass, but it is only slighty thicker, so I'm not too hopefull. I also got some Hornady swaged .454 dia 255 gr cowboy bullets, and I expect that these will actually stay put during recoil. I'm pretty determined to put my S&W M625 back into service so that I can afford to shoot it as much as I want. Now if only component prices & availibility would improve ....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TomC321

Bearcat
I typically use Dillon and Redding dies. I haven't messured the size, but my cases are pretty well sized down. I expand in the powder die in my 550. I mostly load 200 JSWC Hornady bullets.

wildturk

Single-Sixer
BH36XStevens22-410008.jpg

BH36XStevens22-410006.jpg

Meeteetse

Bearcat
thirdgen17":2ur8sa3h said:
Most of the 9's I would be shooting would be FMJ. Will this be a problem? Also will the convertible handle 9mm +p?

Even the hottest 9mm is mild compared to the .357. Besides the Blackhawk is so over-built I suspect it would handle grenades if you could chamber them. FMJ is no problem. You would have to shoot a million of them to see any appreciable wear.

Old Griz

Bearcat
thirdgen17":hbtr6f0z said:

I've had better accuracy with jacketed loads rather than plain lead.

If it can handle .357 loads, it won't even blink at any 9mm loads.[/b]

gifford

Bearcat
Evening All - found a very nice .45 Convertible with a 7.5 inch barrel at the Kansas City MVACA Gun Show this weekend. Dates to 1979. Now it came with Herret's wood grips on it and would prefer to have the Packmyer Black Hawk 1 grips like I have on my .22 stainless Super Single Six convertible, bicentennial. Anyone have an extra pair of Packmyers they are willing to part with? I can change the grips out when I go shooting but would prefer each to have the same grips. Thanks.